Started by Anonymous, September 26, 2003, 11:45:28 AM

I wondered if it is possible codewise to keep your gender a secret. However, this brings up some other questions. If you were coded gender nuetral would you still be able to have a gender? And finally, if someone's gender is not apparent in their description isn't it cheating to use the code to get the information?

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe, for a 'special app' you could have an item that codewise changes your sex when you wear it.  Like a wig, or a cloak.

*shrug*
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I think you have to make a "M/F" choice when submitting a character.  

However, that's no reason why you can't get creative.  I once created a female character whose description was "the (yadda yadda) human" and the long description gave no indication of gender either.  Some people "realized" she was a female sooner, others later, and I think that's entirely realistic.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I agree that in time people should be able to figure it out. But not by using assess-v
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Anonymous is talking about using assess -v to learn this information in a pseudo-OOC capacity:
QuoteAnd finally, if someone's gender is not apparent in their description isn't it cheating to use the code to get the information?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

There's more ways than just ass -v to determine gender.

say (Stepping close to ~human and eyeing !human) You got a pecker or not?

Now everyone in the room knows you are a female because it says '...eyes her.'

If it was me, I'd submit the app with the gender you'd be faking and have a background that says you are really a woman.  If your knickers ever came off emote appropriately and blow someone's mind.

"...well I'm not dumb but I can't understand, why she walks like a woman but talks like a man oh my Lola, lu-lu-lu-lola)

That would be fine if you want people to think you are the opposite sex, but what if you want them to wonder?

Asking would work. And asking wouldn't be ooc.

Quote from: "Anonymous"That would be fine if you want people to think you are the opposite sex, but what if you want them to wonder?

I don't know, have your female pc emote moving around their bulge?

From experience, I can tell you that it is extremely difficult to emote even the simplest things in a gender neutral way.  Like, scratching your (his/her) head, using any of your (his/her) equipment in an emote, doing anything as/before/after you (he/she) do something else.

It's a challenge, but it it possible... however, I didn't find the novelty to be worth the effort.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I once met a PC who was coded to be gender neutral.  Funny thing was, he used male pronouns whenever he included himself in an emote, like he wasn't even aware his character was an it.
Back from a long retirement

Why?  What possible benefit can you derive from this is my only question.  It's not like everyone goes around handing you stuff cause they think you are a woman.

RP reasons.

Maybe the cutthroats you swindled over a knot of spice are looking for a dude that looks exactly like you. They're not looking for a woman, then, are they?

Things like that.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

QuoteIt's not like everyone goes around handing you stuff cause they think you are a woman.

Whoo boy, that's rich.

Female PCs (not Female players, mind you) almost universally have it easier than men in social situations.

Which do you think has a more likely chance of succeeding?  A female pc approaching a buff male warrior for help/handouts/food/drink or a male pc approaching a buff female warrior for the same?

Trust me, I tried playing a jigolo.  Yeah, I got some free drinks, but it took a lot more than just having boobs.

Back to the topic at hand, since PC attitudes towards gender do not define the game, I can imagine any number of scenarios where a PC would want to fake their gender.  Maybe they were afraid of being raped, (yes men can be raped by women) maybe they were, as someone else said, trying to change their identity.

Maybe they found out that Lord/Lady something or other wanted a boy or a girl to run errands or wipe their ass.

The advantage comes from any specific scenario that you can dream up and, honestly, doesn't it add a cool little twist to your PC's background?

Besides, the first scene where the faking PC forgot to squat when they were peeing with others around would be worth it alone.

The tanned, golden-haired woman unlaces her carru-hide leggings and pulls out her wang before commencing to write her name in the sand with it.

I am fairly sure the mud has gender nuetral pronouns for emotes.  I think I have seen them used with some critters, though I could be wrong.  I would suggest e-mailing the MUD with your request.  Be sure to include you account name, character name, and of course the reason why you are making this request.  I would hazard a guess that it is possible, but you really have to e-mail the MUD to be sure and get it done.

I once send in an app for a female digused as a male. She didn't want to be looked down upon at all because of her gender, even though most females arn't on Arm. However, I coded her as a male, wrote her desc and sdesc like she was a male, but used she and her in the background. The poor imm(I believe it was Ness) was very confused, and refused it. I emailed him back explaining. Never did play her, even though she's been approved....

-Tortall, who likes the clean feeling after a shower.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Way I see it, if a person can disguise their gender, then an elf can cover up their ears and be disguised as a human or have ears clipped to be disguised as a half elf.  I was told that you can't do that, so I think that same logic should apply to gender disguises also since you want to use it as a chance to hide who you are to avoid being looked down on.

I have a way to hide your gender. It involves a bucket, a big knife, alot of bandages, and a very very strong will.
ere it comes..

QuoteI have a way to hide your gender. It involves a bucket, a big knife, alot of bandages, and a very very strong will.

Or, on the flip side, a sausage, some string, and a lot of privacy.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"
Quote from: "Faglore"I have a way to hide your gender. It involves a bucket, a big knife, alot of bandages, and a very very strong will.

Or, on the flip side, a sausage, some string, and a lot of privacy.

Man, you guys know how to party.