Retreat command - for leaders

Started by Incognito, May 21, 2015, 02:25:11 PM

May 21, 2015, 02:25:11 PM Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:31:14 PM by Incognito
I'm sure everyone's had situations where they're leading something :
a) Other PCs
b) Mount(s)
c) Other NPCs

and the leader needed to go somewhere (maybe even just 1 room away - to talk to someone in private, or to check something without putting the rest in danger) without wanting to:
1) Unhitch everyone following you.
2) Asking everyone to unfollow you.
3) Then having everyone re-follow or re-hitch everyone again.
4) Asking/commanding followers to rest and then stand up again when you return.

Suggestion - Retreat command
The retreat command will allow your PC to continue to lead whoever he/she is leading, but move to another direction without breaking this chain of command. When you return back to the same room, all those following you before, will continue to follow you still, without changes.

The only thing that will NOT happen is - those following you - following you into the direction you attempt to retreat towards.

Usage: Retreat (direction)
Note: Usual factors like light, your ability to navigate in certain weathers, your riding skill, your climbing ability etc, will be auto-checked, to determine which direction you actually retreat to.

PS: Yes, flee self is an option - but its really unreliable, and not the best thing to happen realistically.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Why isn't flee the best thing?  It seems like exactly what you describe.

May 21, 2015, 04:19:04 PM #2 Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:35:50 PM by RogueGunslinger
Flee-self doesn't re-hitch your followers. You should not have to have a high flee skill to be able to step away from your followers briefly. Flee self goes in random direction.

I want a system that supports the ability for assigned commanders in combat/people you are following to make their commands show up a different color on their follower's screens.

Combat spam is already chaos.

The leader of your group that you are following shouts in the great big battle, "Oh damn son! This is going down hill! Everyone run!".

And it is bright red for everyone following that leader.

(Not trying to derail your thread my man. Your thread title just made me have this idea.)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Combat could use some polishing and refinement. These are both decent ideas.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Desertman on May 21, 2015, 04:58:55 PM
I want a system that supports the ability for assigned commanders in combat/people you are following to make their commands show up a different color on their follower's screens.

The leader of your group that you are following shouts in the great big battle, "Oh damn son! This is going down hill! Everyone run!".

(Not trying to derail your thread my man. Your thread title just made me have this idea.)

I recently IDEA'd the IDEA to have world emotes from staff show up in bold.  They can clarify the spam a great deal, and tend to just get lost.

You could highlight the leader's says in your client, but that'd require some planning.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

This is a great idea, but we usually don't get features that can be handled easily in a mud client, which this is. If you're in a military unit and you don't already have your leader's says highlighted, fix it! Yes, not all new players know how to highlight or even use mud clients, but that's a different problem (also see sentence #1).

Original post, yeah that sucks.

I remember reading a thread when I started playing about color support and I thought it was silly how a bunch of older players were all "OVER MY DEAD BODY" opposed to it.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 21, 2015, 06:16:37 PM
I remember reading a thread when I started playing about color support and I thought it was silly how a bunch of older players were all "OVER MY DEAD BODY" opposed to it.
over my dead fucking body will you get color support goddamnit >:C

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: HavokBlue on May 21, 2015, 06:16:37 PM

People have a hard time understanding the word optional.

May 21, 2015, 07:57:19 PM #10 Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:59:07 PM by CodeMaster
I might have turned color on if Arm had the option.   But its absence inspired me to make a bunch of color triggers that suit me way better than the angry fruit salad you see on most MUDs.

Getting off topic, so I should write that I like the idea, Incognito.

A quick stand-in for what you're looking for would be to make yourself an alias that does something like this:

unhitch .
unhitch 2..
unhitch 3..
unhitch 4..

Untested, but I'm pretty sure it will knock your follows off you -- the ones you can see, at least.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I know it's considered rude and unsuave, but honestly no one will mind if you just use all caps :)

I mean, people will mind of course, but no one you need to listen to.

Cannot always hitch back unhitched followers.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

The link-dead and afk know what they signed up for. The risks were calculated. They will be left behind.

Without going into IC details - I meant others - not the link-dead or AFK.

If you think about it - you'll know who I'm talking about ;)

I always thought this could be accomplished with a group channel of sorts. Have it work like talking at a table maybe? Listenable to folks outside of the group, but otherwise it could just address the group as a whole?

The blood-spattered, burly man exclaims to the group, "Back in formation! The first one to break off I'm killing myself!"

Going off on a tangent, how about an "all" option for the unhitch command. 'unhitch all'

The problem is not about unhitching - its about re-hitching....

Quote from: Incognito on May 22, 2015, 01:39:49 PM
The problem is not about unhitching - its about re-hitching....

Nevertheless, there have been numerous times, for example, when a Sergeant wants his minions to stay where they are for a moment, and has to laboriously go through 'unhitch dufus1', 'unhitch dufus2' etc. because inevitably two or three don't respond in a timely manner if told to stop following.

'unhitch all' would be convenient to have and simple to implement even if this problem isn't addressed overall.

...commands like these, for all this leadership utility, should totally all be tied to a skill of leadership, which one gains through the Tor Academy.

Trained, professional leaders versus makeshift ones, GO!

Disclaimer:  I only say this because Tor.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Kind of on topic, but I'd love it if leaders with a high flee skill would take minions with them when they flee combat.  Maybe a different kind of 'retreat' command or save option.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on May 22, 2015, 05:02:41 PM
Kind of on topic, but I'd love it if leaders with a high flee skill would take minions with them when they flee combat.  Maybe a different kind of 'retreat' command or save option.

Brilliant idea!
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Until your leader flees off a cliff.

Hence with a save option, for people who don't want to flee off a cliff.  :)  Though I think following your leader headlong off a cliff in a flee-or-die situation makes a lot more sense than just casually walking off a cliff together while going from A to B.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I didn't even read this thread, but I'm totally against any coded act of cowardice.

I vote no and also vote for the subsequent removal of the flee command. that is all, cowardly worms  >:(
Whatever happens, happens.