Gemmed Temples Idea

Started by Asmoth, May 18, 2015, 08:54:09 PM

Gemmed aren't slaves in the traditional sense, but templars have hella leverage - a gemmer is a slave if the templar decides that's the type of relationship he wants.

July 29, 2015, 04:43:30 PM #201 Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:48:26 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: manonfire on July 29, 2015, 04:27:16 PM
Gemmed aren't slaves in the traditional sense, but templars have hella leverage - a gemmer is a slave if the templar decides that's the type of relationship he wants.

Anyone is a slave if a Templar decides that's the type of relationship she wants.  Templar's have the authority to enslave commoners, just like they have the authority to kill a commoner at their whim.  They just don't, because OOCly that means the PC in question must store...and you might as well just kill them because it makes it easier to handle.

Gemmed are not slaves.  They have their own homes, make their own income, and have the same pathetically limited rights of anyone else in Allanak without a signet ring on their finger.  

Yes, the Templarate has an iron grip around the throats of the gemmed, but I do not think that makes them quasi-slaves. It just means it is easier for the templarate to control them if they get unruly (because these particular people are more dangerous if they get unruly) or be capricious with them if they feel like it, but typically, they tend to leave them alone, probably in no small part because it would get boring to mess with every gemmed that passes by you. Gemmed mages go outside the walls, they travel, they greb, they live their own lives. Of course, that is off-topic, but it has been discussed before. It's been stated that the gemmed are not slaves, they're not necessarily "templars' pets"--they're citizens, despite how the public views them.

What Beethoven said, plus:

The gem is far more of a fail-safe than a slave collar. Beyond that I would suggest investigating in-game.

If there are several PC Templars rattling around, maybe one could be assigned to specifically oversee the non-Oashi Gemmed. I.e. that Templar is given the Gemmed to work with rather than the Jade Sabers.

Quote from: Eyeball on July 29, 2015, 06:47:10 PM
If there are several PC Templars rattling around, maybe one could be assigned to specifically oversee the non-Oashi Gemmed. I.e. that Templar is given the Gemmed to work with rather than the Jade Sabers.

Doesn't really make sense unless there's some kind of organization assigned them to...  That's like saying you're the Templar assigned to the Commoner Quarter.  What does that mean?  Who reports to you?  If these official positions were created inside the AOD, and those uniformed/ranked Gemmed worked for you, then maybe it would make sense for a Templar to be assigned over it?

Quote from: wizturbo on July 29, 2015, 03:40:49 PM
The key difference is an Oashi (find out IC clan rank) doesn't lose their rank if a noble dies/stores.  They're still a leader.  Their world may still be turned upside down of course, but they're in a position above others in the clan in which they can lead from.

Perhaps your experience was different than mine, but I can attest to having my gemmed Oashi being removed from the House and Clan when their PC Noble stored.  Such-and-such Noble has retired from public life; your services are no longer required.

Then again, this was when Oash had a single PC Noble in it at the time.  Perhaps things are different when there is two or more active Nobles.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on July 29, 2015, 07:54:52 PM

Perhaps your experience was different than mine, but I can attest to having my gemmed Oashi being removed from the House and Clan when their PC Noble stored.  Such-and-such Noble has retired from public life; your services are no longer required.

Sounds like the clan was temporarily closed.  That happened to me too, actually.  When that happens, pretty much any PC is given the boot.  Happened to House Tor too I think.

July 29, 2015, 08:40:29 PM #208 Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:46:26 PM by Eyeball
Quote from: wizturbo on July 29, 2015, 07:49:42 PM
Quote from: Eyeball on July 29, 2015, 06:47:10 PM

Doesn't really make sense unless there's some kind of organization assigned them to...  That's like saying you're the Templar assigned to the Commoner Quarter.  What does that mean?  Who reports to you?  If these official positions were created inside the AOD, and those uniformed/ranked Gemmed worked for you, then maybe it would make sense for a Templar to be assigned over it?

I see NPC templars in the same places day after month after year.. it looks to me like they've been assigned specific duties and territories.

This would be the same thing for PC templars; the one assigned to the gemmed would be expected to use the gemmed as his tools, not the Sabers. EDIT: It wouldn't mean he's expected to live in the gemmed Quarter all of the time, no, but at least to regularly devote some of his time to it.

I wouldn't mind seeing an AoD auxiliary clan formed, but Talia has already said the gemmed will never be part of the AoD in any way, so elaborating on it is pointless.

July 29, 2015, 10:37:54 PM #209 Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:41:04 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: Eyeball on July 29, 2015, 08:40:29 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing an AoD auxiliary clan formed, but Talia has already said the gemmed will never be part of the AoD in any way, so elaborating on it is pointless.

Talia said "Gemmed mages are never going to be officially part of the AoD. Next topic!".  

That doesn't mean never part of the AoD in any way, it means they will not be part of the Arm of the Dragon clan, which is currently Templars+PC Soldiers.  That means crim-code immunity, access to special places, etc.  Notice, nothing I've suggested has any of those things?  Allanaki Militia Recruits are similarly not part of the Arm of the Dragon, but they're affiliated with the AoD.  Nothing has been said that similar affiliated organizations cannot be created for the Gemmed, if there was an appetite.

July 29, 2015, 11:03:06 PM #210 Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:08:46 PM by Eyeball
Quote from: wizturbo on July 29, 2015, 10:37:54 PM
Quote from: Eyeball on July 29, 2015, 08:40:29 PM

Talia said "Gemmed mages are never going to be officially part of the AoD. Next topic!".  

That doesn't mean never part of the AoD in any way, it means they will not be part of the Arm of the Dragon clan, which is currently Templars+PC Soldiers.  That means crim-code immunity, access to special places, etc.  Notice, nothing I've suggested has any of those things?  Allanaki Militia Recruits are similarly not part of the Arm of the Dragon, but they're affiliated with the AoD.  Nothing has been said that similar affiliated organizations cannot be created for the Gemmed, if there was an appetite.

Well, I suggested that Vivaduans be allowed in as permanent recruits due to their obvious utility in a supporting role that doesn't overshadow the soldiers (i.e. into Allanaki Militia Recruits, never to be promoted) and that was the response.

That is a pity, because it would be nice to see another "official" option for the gemmed. Two would be just perfect, I think.

There is, kinda sorta, another avenue altogether for the listless non-Oashi gemmed problem: murder your plot competition.  Not getting plots because that other Vivaduan is?  Murder.  Then you get two plots!  (I'm only half joking.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: LauraMars on July 28, 2015, 12:29:58 PM
fear --> anger

anger --> hate

hate -->

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

One thing that struck me when reflecting on the plight of the gemmed - and mind you I'm not thoroughly convinced that they are as bereft of plot options as others suggest - is that despite that fact that gemmed are more or less city based, there doesn't seem to be much that gemmed can do to interact with that city.  There's loads of fun to be had in the wilds, but there seem to be relatively few avenues available within the city for interaction. 

In particular, put as a question: is there some way to hook gemmed up to city-based political plots?

I missed out on the days of CAM, but such an institution struck me as something like what would allow this.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Short answer?  No.

Long answer?  Gemmed do have access to most of the interaction and political channels that non-House-employed commoners have.  They're certainly at a heavy social disadvantage, but the channels are still open.  Closer ties with a templar can also open up some avenues of influence.  But I really don't think that gemmed need to be given a structured hook into politics and more than Byn do.  It makes zero sense, ICly.

The Gemmed have avenues to rather extreme amounts of wealth for a non-merchant house commoner. That can buy them a fair amount of influence, at least it has in my experiences...although it mostly just offsets the social disadvantages at best.

Gemmed politics are interesting. You start at a severe disadvantage, and generally any influence or protection you have lives and dies with the templar who affords it.

While this can be frustrating if they store, it can also lead to some very interesting situations. Especially when they die!

Deny, deny, change nothing, it's the GDB way.  ??? Like it would kill the game to give the gemmed some goal or group of their own.

They have the same goal as everyone else: survive. They have their group: the Gemmed.

Complaining about Gemmed being too stigmatized is like complaining about elves not being able to ride. Annoying as it may be, it's still a big part of their characterization. Deal with it.

Quote from: Eyeball on July 31, 2015, 06:18:54 PM
Deny, deny, change nothing, it's the GDB way.  ??? Like it would kill the game to give the gemmed some goal or group of their own.

It's not so futile... this has been a hugely popular thread.

Lots of people have ingested new ideas on the topic.  Including, probably, people who are currently playing gemmed (hey, you don't have to be an "official" leader to lead, especially when you combine your immense IC power with a bit of charisma) as well as future templars who might want to go out of their way and help give the gemmed a sense of direction.

[I'll probably agree with BadSkeelz too... if being gemmed is an unengaging role to you, pick another role or go rogue - how fun would that be?]
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Deny, deny, change nothing, it's the GDB way.  ??? Like it would kill the game to give the gemmed some goal or group of their own.

You're not being very constructive.  The gdb is a place to spitball ideas, and discuss them.  Sometimes people disagree.

Quote from: nauta on July 31, 2015, 06:46:47 PM

You're not being very constructive.  The gdb is a place to spitball ideas, and discuss them.  Sometimes people disagree.

You're right, I was being snarky. I just find it frustrating how difficult it is to convince people of basically anything.

Quote from: CodeMaster on July 31, 2015, 06:46:16 PM
[I'll probably agree with BadSkeelz too... if being gemmed is an unengaging role to you, pick another role or go rogue - how fun would that be?]

I'm played out, CodeMaster. I don't have any concepts left.

Quote from: Eyeball on July 31, 2015, 06:54:35 PM
I'm played out, CodeMaster. I don't have any concepts left.

We have a support group for this meets every Thursday to makes throw away PCs who meet up in the Gaj and mope around complaining vaguely about missing the good old days.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.