Gemmed Temples Idea

Started by Asmoth, May 18, 2015, 08:54:09 PM

July 31, 2015, 07:10:27 PM #225 Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:28:37 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 31, 2015, 06:44:22 PM

Complaining about Gemmed being too stigmatized is like complaining about elves not being able to ride. Annoying as it may be, it's still a big part of their characterization. Deal with it.

Yes, you've made it very clear that your opinion on this is "Deal with it".  Not exactly constructive though, because clearly many people don't want to deal with it, and would like to see some improvements made.  Having clocked in 2000+ hours over 10 years playing Gemmed PC's, with many of those hours being in various states of frustration with the status quo, I have the opinion that they could use some improvements to make the roles more satisfying and interesting.  

The main reason I think this?  Because if I choose to play a Gemmed magicker, it's because I want to have some city life experience.   If I wanted to be isolated, I could play a rogue.

July 31, 2015, 07:25:27 PM #226 Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 12:31:00 AM by Eyeball
Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 31, 2015, 07:06:19 PM
Quote from: Eyeball on July 31, 2015, 06:54:35 PM
I'm played out, CodeMaster. I don't have any concepts left.

We have a support group for this meets every Thursday to makes throw away PCs who meet up in the Gaj and mope around complaining vaguely about missing the good old days.

That's ok, I think I'll just leave [EDIT: the discussion]. Maybe in a few years there will be some new things.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 31, 2015, 06:44:22 PM
They have the same goal as everyone else: survive. They have their group: the Gemmed.

'Group' is the right word, and this helps me hone in on my point a little bit.

I guess part of what motivated my question was the thought that with almost every other city-based group (except elves, because ewww, elves), there is a way to interact with the extant political plots as a group: the rinthers can join the Guild, the Byn Sergeants have their institutional interests to protect, and the other clans obviously have political RP opportunities.  But the gemmed, even Oashi gemmed, don't seem to have that as a live option.

Sure you can ensure your own individual survival by buddying up to a templar, or hiding under the Oashi heraldry, but I was more thinking in terms of group political goals/plots, where you'd RP in the political arena, however that might work out ICly.

And ICly, I think it would make sense - they are, after all, a group who have, in the past, gotten together enough political raptor nuggets to get temples made, a Quarter established, etc.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I don't know...Commoners in general have a lot of trouble engaging in city politics in any significant way, unless they're noble house servants, or have very specific roles in the Merchant Houses.  Not having a means of participating in that doesn't seem out of place for the Gemmed. 

Internal politics that occur within the Gemmed Quarter itself is oddly missing from Gemmed life.  They're virtually non-existent in any meaningful way, besides social cliches, or avoiding/joining Oash.  The essential reason that internal politics are lacking is there's nothing to fight over!  There's no special ranks or privileges to fight for, there's no real estate, and no organizations to conflict with beside Oash, and having a conflict with them is extremely one-sided.  The only thing a non-Oashi Gemmed can gain is money, items, and more coded ability through the magickal equivalent of beating on a training dummy....so why engage in politics?

July 31, 2015, 08:39:48 PM #229 Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:42:38 PM by RogueGunslinger
People sure are off topic. I think a group Gemmed temple would be cool. It could have element only sub-quarters that behave like current temples do, blocking people not of that element and having their own teachers. And a communal area with a little bar and another area where some templar is giving lessons about behaving properly or something. This would remove the need for how the current temples work though.

Why not, sounds cool.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 31, 2015, 08:39:48 PM
And a communal area with a little bar and another area where some templar is giving lessons about behaving properly or something.

Does the Atrium take gemmed (rhetorical)?  It could be an interesting alternative clan outlet for them that might stand in for such a communal area.  They'd be the black sheep in the class without a doubt, but the instructors might "force" interactions to better acquaint both parties with how to behave around each other.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Now, I am strongly in favor of more options for non-Oashi gemmed, but as kind of a chronic gemmed player, I think it is very possible to play politics. It's like being forced to paint with a palette of about three colors: it actually sparks more creativity, because you're not overwhelmed with the endless possibilities of the whole palette at once. It is always an option to engage in politics under the table. Maybe you aren't after special rankings or privileges. Maybe you have a background that encourages a fixation with, or a vendetta against, certain powerful people or organizations. Risky, but doable. Gemmed can be interesting minions, and some surprising people can be willing to take them on, so long as nobody's the wiser.

Quote from: CodeMaster on July 31, 2015, 09:12:28 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 31, 2015, 08:39:48 PM
And a communal area with a little bar and another area where some templar is giving lessons about behaving properly or something.

Does the Atrium take gemmed (rhetorical)?  It could be an interesting alternative clan outlet for them that might stand in for such a communal area.  They'd be the black sheep in the class without a doubt, but the instructors might "force" interactions to better acquaint both parties with how to behave around each other.
You Jest surely sir ?
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

I played a latent elementalist who was Atrium-trained.

But anyway... gemmed Atrium students... no.

Though, I have seen templars (and Oash) that used gemmed in a very aide-like capacity, sometimes having them do non-magick-related business for them.  Maybe it's not ideal, it creeps mundanes out, but it is pretty interesting.