Gemmed Temples Idea

Started by Asmoth, May 18, 2015, 08:54:09 PM

I'd like there to be a GDB forum for the gemmed.

Quote from: Eyeball on June 15, 2015, 09:36:55 PM

+1
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on June 15, 2015, 09:37:54 PM

+1

Yes, but I'd just like it if they were allowed into the Arm forum if they are situated mostly in Allanak.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on June 15, 2015, 09:55:00 PM
Quote from: nauta on June 15, 2015, 09:37:54 PM

+1

Yes, but I'd just like it if they were allowed into the Arm forum if they are situated mostly in Allanak.

That's a good idea too!  The plots that gemmed get brought into - which let's face it, if not Oash, then Arm plots - tend to continue along with the poor gemmed twiddling their thumbs in the dark after they did that one thing - tool for the job.  Plus, the turnover rate in the Quarter seems to be almost as bad as the rinth.  Rolecall/Absence thread would be nice.  A rumourboard amazing.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

It's almost like being gemmed makes you feel ostracized or something.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

June 15, 2015, 10:15:40 PM #105 Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:20:33 PM by TheWanderer
You're not in a clan, though. You're just a bunch of dudes/dudettes that spit fire and wear gems. It's a small community of PCs, sure, but in a far larger virtual population. You're grebbers, tools, and so on. You're also free to pursue your own goals and not rely solely on His Arm for entertainment, whereas there are different restrictions on those who have sought out the life of a soldier.

If staff wants to introduce His Arm formally taking on gemmed recruits, that would be different. You shouldn't have access to their docs if you're just some grubby gemmed that Lord Templar Fuckyou calls upon every now and again. There are forums for clans because they need to better communicate for rpts, check who's checking in so they can assess hiring caps, etc..

It's not going to happen because it shouldn't happen.

Oh, and:
Quote from: Synthesis on June 15, 2015, 10:15:00 PM
It's almost like being gemmed makes you feel ostracized or something.

Edit: A rumor board is a good idea, though.
Whatever happens, happens.

It's called Oash.

*badum-tish*
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

If Gemmed get to post on the AoD forum I want my weapons to be able to post too.

Cause that's all you fucking are.

A GDB forum for the gemmed wouldn't need to have roll calls or such common to other clans, but it would be a useful place to discuss issues and ideas that aren't really appropriate to speak of with the general player community.

Quote from: Taven on June 15, 2015, 10:34:37 PM

It's called Oash.

*badum-tish*

Oash =/= The Gemmed

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 15, 2015, 10:55:16 PM
If Gemmed get to post on the AoD forum I want my weapons to be able to post too.

Next thing you know we'll be letting Elves in.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 15, 2015, 10:55:16 PM

Hehe.

Quote from: Eyeball on June 15, 2015, 11:26:08 PM
A GDB forum for the gemmed wouldn't need to have roll calls or such common to other clans, but it would be a useful place to discuss issues and ideas that aren't really appropriate to speak of with the general player community.

Just because you have the karma doesn't mean you get to talk about it with other people who have the karma.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 16, 2015, 12:13:56 AM

Just because you have the karma doesn't mean you get to talk about it with other people who have the karma.
Though when that karma entitles you to an entire quarter to the city maybe you should get a rumor board.

June 16, 2015, 08:36:32 AM #114 Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:40:51 AM by Lizzie
Quote from: Jihelu on June 16, 2015, 12:18:47 AM

Though when that karma entitles you to an entire quarter to the city maybe you should get a rumor board.

An in-game rumor board would make the most sense, however - the quarter isn't completely isolated; non-gemmers can go there freely. That means that non-gemmers would have the same access to that rumor board as the gemmers do. To compare - the rinth is also not completely isolated, but there are both coded and uncoded risks involved in going there to find their rumor board and read it.

There are no such risks in the elementalist quarter. So a rumor board would be unrestricted, unless the board was only in the temples. That'd mean you'd need five duplicate rumor boads - one for each temple, much like there are two of the "southside" boards - one for each of the two bars.

But then you would ALSO have conflicts of interest: Any Oash gemmed employee has the same access to those boards as any non-Oash gemmed. And any rinthi elf with a gem would also have the exact same access as a citizen has.

That's the thing about being gemmed - you are still an individual, you're not in a clan, you might not even like your fellow temple-members, or be the same race, or even from the same location. A *Tuluk-born* who turns themselves into the templarate and takes a gem, will have the SAME access to the gem board as you, a loyal Allanak citizen does. Considering the nature of a lot of those things that gemmed mages do, I don't think this would be a good idea. It would either be empty most of the time, or people who shouldn't know ALlanak's business would have easy access to the information.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Patuk on May 19, 2015, 12:26:32 PM
Just merge the bloody temples already, seriously. It would make Gemmed in general way, way, way more playable. One bigger temple with special rooms for each element plus a meeting hall and you're done.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I kind of figure rumor boards aren't at all representative of a cohesive culture, but more of where stories certain types of gossip tends to linger. With this in mind, it's not hard to argue that all quarters (noble, merchant, commoner and labyrinth, and elementalist) would have their own rumor board.

Quote from: Patuk on June 16, 2015, 10:41:57 AM

Just merge the bloody temples already, seriously. It would make Gemmed in general way, way, way more playable. One bigger temple with special rooms for each element plus a meeting hall and you're done.

Really don't like this idea.  They're separate for many reasons, and I don't see anything having changed to make those reasons no longer valid.

I would like to see an IC rumor board for the Gemmed though.  And for Gemmed RPTs and such, can always use the player announcements section like any other RPT.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 16, 2015, 08:36:32 AM
An in-game rumor board would make the most sense, however - the quarter isn't completely isolated; non-gemmers can go there freely. That means that non-gemmers would have the same access to that rumor board as the gemmers do. To compare - the rinth is also not completely isolated, but there are both coded and uncoded risks involved in going there to find their rumor board and read it.

There are no such risks in the elementalist quarter. So a rumor board would be unrestricted, unless the board was only in the temples. That'd mean you'd need five duplicate rumor boads - one for each temple, much like there are two of the "southside" boards - one for each of the two bars.

But then you would ALSO have conflicts of interest: Any Oash gemmed employee has the same access to those boards as any non-Oash gemmed. And any rinthi elf with a gem would also have the exact same access as a citizen has.

That's the thing about being gemmed - you are still an individual, you're not in a clan, you might not even like your fellow temple-members, or be the same race, or even from the same location. A *Tuluk-born* who turns themselves into the templarate and takes a gem, will have the SAME access to the gem board as you, a loyal Allanak citizen does. Considering the nature of a lot of those things that gemmed mages do, I don't think this would be a good idea. It would either be empty most of the time, or people who shouldn't know ALlanak's business would have easy access to the information.

I don't think the issue of various people having access to the board would be a problem. If some non-gemmed character wants to go listen to the gemmed quarter gossip (and it's IC justified), that seems okay to me. I think the main idea of the IC rumor board would be to represent the general talk around the quarter, not to be some kind exchange of top sekrit info.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

There was a thread about "Magick in the Gemmed Quarter" that got moved into non-existence fairly recently. It's a perfect example of something that could have gone into such a Gemmed GDB forum instead.

Plenty of uses for such a forum. E.g. posting RPTs that wouldn't be public knowledge except within the Quarter.

teh gemmed need archery-target style things so they can cast at un and have like lazer competitions and shit

Quote from: Synthesis on July 21, 2015, 12:43:40 AM
teh gemmed need archery-target style things so they can cast at un and have like lazer competitions and shit

I tried this and it didn't work out. The world isn't ready for Rathustra TwinkTech(tm) technologies.

They have each other.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 21, 2015, 04:19:12 AM

They have each other.
More mage on mage crime in 2016!

On the real though, I could get behind a movement of all the temples to like a simple hub. You'd still have the fancy entrances and stuff but would be closer together, culturally though, nazi allanak wouldn't be down with putting all their flashy and abused weapons in chit-chat range of one another I don't think.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Don't the elements like, oppose each other, man?
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff