Progression of removal of play options on Arm

Started by Incognito, April 14, 2015, 11:06:43 AM

April 14, 2015, 11:06:43 AM Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:16:05 AM by Incognito
When I started playing Arm over a decade ago, the game was HUGE, the options were so numerous - that it was difficult not to be in awe of such an extensive game world in a text-based game.

The decision to close off Tuluk for PC play, is a milestone - that makes me sad and apprehensive.

Over the years, we've had so many playable options removed from the game world, it makes me wonder if these were really needed, and where the game is eventually headed.

In a not-chronologically-correct order - things that have been removed/modified from gameplay (either ICLY or OOCLY):
Mantis clutches
Gith tribes
Entire halfling society
Slave PCs
Mul mages (first) and then mul slaves
Blackwing tribe
Siltwinds
Dune Stalkers
Sand Jakhals
Red Fangs
Restrictions on d-elf mage play (via spec app and pre-approved only)
Haruch Kemad clan
Red Storm East
Undertuluk
Restrictions/changes to many psionicist skills
Removal of certain tribal clans
Tan Muark curtailment
Tyn Dashra
Consolidation of Tuluki templar order
Removal of some Whiran spells
Restrictions on casting inside cities
Restrictions on certain travel spells
Automated city defenses for magicks and psionics
Full sorcerors
And now - Tuluk in its entirety with all the clans that go with it.

Now, this post is not meant as a rant, or to make the top tier of Staff members look bad.

It's an honest assessment of what we're heading towards, and have been for some time now.

Sure - there HAVE been certain clans which have been added, or re-opened for play - and that is always a good thing!

The whole allure of ArmageddonMud - was and always has been the vibrant Zalanthas-spanning diversity, but it appears to be getting more and more restricted as time passes by.

Personally I'm of the opinion, that if given the chance, I'd swap the current play world for the world which existed pre-2004 era in a heartbeat! And thats just my 0.02!

In any case, being the hardcore Armer that I am - I will wait and watch - and see where this new direction leads us.....
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

While I personally am wary of how many things are being removed from play, this sort of list isn't fair or useful without a list of what's been added. I think reduction in net options is a more important value when looking at this sort of issue.

A lot of things have been added, this is true, but I'd like to see how much of that isn't universal code. That is, the Akei'ta Var being reopened certainly would count, but I don't think something like the bury code, despite it being a great addition, has a place on a list like that.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

April 14, 2015, 11:47:19 AM #3 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:50:02 AM by Bast
I miss a lot of the things that are gone. I certainly missing having more magick in the game. I am honestly NOT interested in playing in game setting that basically a bunch of normal people running around doing normal human stuff. I do wish we could find a happy magick middle ground and I as someone who played what most people consider one of the powerful mages from the 2007 era I do feel that the their was too much magick craziness. I would like see some of the reaches back in the game and Elemantals talking again though. Its like we tilted from one extreme to the other. I wish we had more race options and I wish the game wasn't so' and Humans rules basically everything ever because' . I honestly don't think Humans are that great on IRL level. Also 90% of game settings are basically set up in a human dominated world where the Elves are in decline and the other races are just sorta..like..there.  

That said; I think the Staff does have the games better intentions at heart and it has gotten better recently. I was very close to never coming back last time time I took an extended break but I am happy I did. Its good to see staff running plots again and it makes me hopeful about the stuff that I really miss. This game belongs to all of us but I will promise you its highly unlikely any of us share all the exact same ideas on the direction we want our mud to go. As a storyteller for table tops games I can tell you nothing hurts more than hearing your players think your out to get them or mess up the game. Anyone has staffed this game for free for over a year isn't doing to it out of anything but love for it. Tuluk isn't gone forever I think they likely just need to make some really big changes to make it work better for us and for them. To do that without stepping all over PC's in the game who might be seriously upset their clan is changing or going away its just easier to close the city down and have big stuff go on behind the magic curtain. I'm having to store a PC I am really enjoying right now so yes it sucks but I have Faith in Staff and I know a lot of them care a great deal about Tuluk and this wasn't easy on them either.

Also Mantis's just aren't playable they have Hive mind and half their communication is sending emotions to each other...The Halflings I miss though.

I don't know sometimes I just feel like we never recovered from the Arm 2 announcement but I would like to think the game is coming back from that.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Patuk on April 14, 2015, 11:42:17 AM
A lot of things have been added, this is true, but I'd like to see how much of that isn't universal code. That is, the Akei'ta Var being reopened certainly would count, but I don't think something like the bury code, despite it being a great addition, has a place on a list like that.

I'd tend to agree with this method of analysis. Compare things according to category. Code additions can't be meaningfully compared to a clan or location subtraction. This isn't to say they're less important, but rather they're just a different category of effect on gameplay.

That said, there have been clan and location additions that are comparable to things that have been removed. The additional rooms in the Rinth, the new player created clans, the Akei'ta Var, etc...

I agree  the loss of elementals feels like a diminishment. I've always been a player that prefers mundanes, and feels that the choice to play magickers accepts the premise of social repercussions. But it should still be cool and powerful. Elementals were cool and powerful.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Streamlining is something I consider to be a good positive thing imo.  I like any change that further consolidates our playerbase since conflict and interaction make the world go round for me - I'd hate the game to be like some RPIs that are full of huge amounts of content but you can never find anybody in the places you go.  But a lot of things have been added too that enhance play in an extreme way, like extended subguilds, choice of both starting background and starting location, additional skills and crafting (pottery!), unique areas for plots, revamping of certain areas, additional wildlife, and that's just recently.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Yeah, this is a matter of game design. If all of those things were still open, you would have 1-2 people in each of them somewhere, or some of them just not in use at all, and people wouldn't be having as much fun as if it was consolidated.

Consolidation sucks at the time, but I think it has always been for the better of the future. I am skeptical about the most recent consolidation, but that's not because it's a consolidation, but more because of how conflict and such will be treated going forward. It could be done greatly and really be a bonus to the game, or it could be done poorly and be a huge sap. As far as the decision to consolidate Tuluk, I think it was a solid one. I was excited to see the ATV reopen, I think that's awesome, and as Talia showed in some statistics, we are seeing growth, but we're not the same as we were some years ago (2006-2008?). I have faith that if we see growth enough, certain things will open back up. As just another example, I think being a desert-elf would suck if Sand Jakhals, Red Fangs, Blackwing and everything was still open. At times, even with just the Sun Runners and the Soh Lanah Kah, the Soh usually have about 3 people, and the SRs at times are buzzing, and other times it's very, very slow and lonely. If there were 5-6 active tribes, as I said earlier, you would just have 1-2 people in each, and people would not have a lot of fun.

There really is a game design dynamic to all of this, about making sure that things are interacting and have the ability work together in a way that is convenient, and sometimes that's a tall order. To then try to do it in a way that makes everyone happy is just going to be impossible. Instead of then focusing on the negatives as a player about what we've lost, it is most beneficial to see what opportunities a larger playerbase in certain areas brings. As soon as I saw the post that Tuluk was closing for example, I was like "I should app a merchant in Red Storm right now, and crank up an indie crew." -- I am 100% confident this idea would have been a success, because of the influx of players that will be coming down. I didn't do it, I'm playing something else that I think will also be interesting with the influx of players coming in, in an effort to get them involved in plots as they come.

Quote from: Narf on April 14, 2015, 11:35:47 AM
While I personally am wary of how many things are being removed from play, this sort of list isn't fair or useful without a list of what's been added. I think reduction in net options is a more important value when looking at this sort of issue.

The point - wasn't to be fair or unfair to anyone or to any group of people. And the idea behind the post was definitely not to compare removals v/s additions. It was just to highlight the list of diminished options - which have been the soul of the game world for so many years and have contributed to the entire "feel" of Arm.

Yes, things will change, and the game will move forward. But that doesn't mean that we cannot feel sad and reminisce about past days and glories. And feel a pinch - that new players will never be able to experience what we did, over the course of these wonderful years.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

We were discussing this a bit last night upon seeing another slippery slope argument leading towards the inevitable heat death of the universe, and we did have some ideas on how to get there faster.  In order to achieve maximum player density, everyone will be limited to playing in one place:  The Gaj.  We will expand it, making it 300 rooms.  Each room will be a different table.  You can sleep under the tables, no need for apartments.  We will split staff into four teams, each handling one quarter of the Gaj.  We will remove combat code in favor of brawl code.  Winner of the brawl gets to play Vennant, but only on Barani.  Maximum player density?  Achieved.  Interaction?  Optimized.

But seriously, yes, things have changed.  Sometimes the grass looks greener because there was a septic tank under the lawn.  The game also used to have a drow city and an illusionist guild and grassy lands just outside of Allanak; I don't see those on the list...

It's good to reminisce on the past days.  It's also good to think hopefully about what is to come.  Builders, more consolidated staff, and more staff time spent on things that matter.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

An ArmageddonMud with just one room and where players are only given a flint knife and loincloth to begin with is actually my dream RPI.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Some things contract, other things expand.

An example: yes, in some ways magickal classes have been restricted. On the other hand, the additions of extended subguilds, CGP skill bumps, and a codified spec app system have increased the options for all classes (mundane and magickal both) tenfold.

I was going to make a similar post at one point in the party when I was feeling pretty sour grapes about something (I can't even remember what now, but it was probably the sorcerer change or maybe a celf issue).  I think it's undeniable that playable options have been removed from the game.  But I think staff has done a better job of adding options as well lately, and bringing old options back as warranted.  I mean, at one point both Tor and that one delf tribe that recently opened were closed.  So I do think it needs to be examined in light of options that have also been added.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

April 14, 2015, 02:05:48 PM #14 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:16:39 PM by Molten Heart
Things get removed over time and should be balanced with new additions. I think because of the announcement of the Reborn game (9-10 years ago) the game began to suffer because most building and creative efforts in this game were put on hold. Many of the players have long memories but I think staff have been slowly adding new welcome additions. We'll see where they go. I'm thinking maybe the game will start moving towards what more of Arm Reborn was supposed to be like and it would seem like staff aren't giving any spoilers so I for one am going to just see what happens, but at least things seem to be happening. :-)
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

When you list things so categorically it seems like everything has been taken away all at once. Some of those things were in existence 20 years ago, and taken away 15 years ago. Some of them weren't introduced to the game till 10 years ago, and taken away 5 years ago.
So it really is hard to make a good comparison of things that were 'removed' from the game, and the playability of the game because of that, in the same way that it's hard to weigh up the additions of the game vs what has been removed.

Some things on the list actually still exist, they just don't exist in a free for all form

Take mul slaves for example. These are still playable. You can special app to a clan that might have those and ask to play one. Staff also put out calls to see if people wish to play them. So they aren't removed from the game, they are just much more limited than they might have been 10 years ago.

Some closures within the game world are also cyclical. We've closed down things like Tor, the Atrium, the ATV and just recently reopened them.  There are other things on that list you have that with more time may see similar treatment.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Sad to see Tuluk go, especially after a significant staff investment. It honestly looked like a great place to play, I gave it another shot, and, I can sort of see the potential problems that made closing the area, for now, the best possible solution. More than anything, I feel bad for the players of some of the sponsored roles that can't leave, but hey, I think staff left some wiggle room in there for them to be able to arrange their plots to move on to new lands, didn't they? I would love to see some of these inspired and inspiring characters continue to exist, though I think, sadly, many may vanish.

With any luck, though, the increased population of the other areas will lead to more interesting interactions and less downtime sitting at the bar and sipping a mug. I don't know though, kind of taking a break for now so, maybe I'll see it whenever the break is over.

Quote from: Barzalene on April 14, 2015, 12:00:20 PM
I agree  the loss of elementals feels like a diminishment. I've always been a player that prefers mundanes, and feels that the choice to play magickers accepts the premise of social repercussions. But it should still be cool and powerful. Elementals were cool and powerful.

Just an FYI, elemental interaction (with staff assistance of course) is possible.  It's just different.  Find out IC.

Quote from: wizturbo on April 14, 2015, 02:19:58 PM
I agree  the loss of elementals feels like a diminishment. I've always been a player that prefers mundanes, and feels that the choice to play magickers accepts the premise of social repercussions. But it should still be cool and powerful. Elementals were cool and powerful.

Just an FYI, elemental interaction (with staff assistance of course) is possible.  It's just different.  Find out IC.

Different is one way to put it  >:(
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

I had an elemental throw a rock at me so hard that my character got propelled out of the room - this was within the last 3 years. Have heard of other incidences since then. They still seem around.

Eventually, the RP will be limited to humans and the only play option will be the 'rinth because Allanak is too player friendly.
;)

I'm content to wait and see what'll happen. The concerns are real, but it seems that it's all perhaps a bit too early to be making conclusions. So what if Arm is changing, any good game will require changes to keep up-to-date. So long as we have the right staff and player-base.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Quote from: Bast on April 14, 2015, 02:25:02 PM
Quote from: wizturbo on April 14, 2015, 02:19:58 PM

Different is one way to put it  >:(

I imagine how those things work was changed after the End of the World plotline, and probably also in some small, yet significant part due to player abuse.

We've had quite a few awesome code additions over the years, but we've also seen a lot of in game stuff being removed or drastically changed. I'm hoping to see more in game additions because what I've personally experienced in that field in recent years has been great.

Definitely replace a few of the quit-safe wilderness rooms that got zorched. It is incredibly annoying being a non-ranger in the wilds - it's not just "lol you shouldn't be out there" it's "some character concepts require being out in the wilderness when you're not a class ranger and having nowhere to quit out unless you quit OOC (and you can't do that more than once in a row HAHA) is fucking OOCly annoying and does not represent the in-character ability of your PC to take care of themselves" and I forget exactly where I was going with this but it's an OOC annoyance not a "ooh cool the game is harsh" feature. Make the harshness represent itself in active threats not "lol you can't leave you silly person".

Okay back to work.

I wonder if the Quit rooms outside the Tuluki gates will still be there