Tuluk Closing to PC play -- discussion thread

Started by ArmageddonMUD, April 13, 2015, 01:18:17 PM

Quote from: Dakota on April 14, 2015, 07:38:16 AM
Quote from: racurtne on April 14, 2015, 07:27:01 AM
You don't have to run to Allanak with your Tuluki ex-pat. Luir's and Red Storm are going to be made better, guys. Have faith.

Edit: Fingers crossed.

Part of the problem here is that those alternate options should be available and evolved for players to play in, rather than the current: 'we're closing up shop. here's your two weeks. store or go. good luck.'

I almost wish their was longer time frame for this closing. 3 months? To let things flow naturally, get built and established and let this be an evolution of progression for both players -and- staff.

That is something we considered and decided against, unfortunately (though at most we had considered a month).  We want to move on and do other things and start on the projects and plots we are already aiming for with other groups.  Three months to transition also potentially means three months of explaining to newbies that the place is closing in three months.  We understand that it sucks for players and that is why we want to do what we can (within reason) to ease that transition.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

At the very least it would be nice now to see a bank in Luir's. And Red Storm.

Quote from: shpadoinkle on April 14, 2015, 09:46:32 AM
There is a bank in Luir's.

I woke up and this was still happening.

I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST A DREAM.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: shpadoinkle on April 14, 2015, 09:46:32 AM

I, for one, like that there is no bank in Red Storm - all them yummy uber-rich tailors are just so yummy.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: skeetdaddle on April 14, 2015, 12:47:47 AM
My two cents....

I'm surprised that there seems to be very little saddness over Tuluk closing and that the general consensus seems to be "good riddance".

It may have something to do with how we framed it.  Coming from staff, the first thing we say is that we are sad to have to make this decision, that we are attached to it, that it was tough to do, that everyone that contributed did a great job working on the place.  Rathustra put up a post from the Northern team with some of their thoughts.  As for players, many that I have seen posting here show support for the decision despite sadness or regret over the loss of Tuluk as a place to play.

Anyone expressing the opinion "good riddance" or something akin to that is probably trolling.  Feel free to report them and we'll be happy to moderate them.  I'll do a once-over of posts here and double check to see if anyone has crossed that line.  As we've said in the announcement:  it would be fair to say that one other negative (on players and staff) would be vocal detractors of player and staff efforts in this area.  It's one thing to express support of the decision (or express that you are not necessarily a fan of Tuluk/understanding of the decision overall/its impact/etc, expressing your disagreement as an adult).  It's another to just take a dump on the thread.  This isn't where those vocal detractors of staff and player efforts Tuluk get to come and gloat.  If they do that, this is where they get moderated; if they keep it up after moderation, this is where they get banned from the boards.  We gave fair warning.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

And after review, there's really nothing that sticks out.  You guys are class acts.  We appreciate it.

Quote from: X-D on April 14, 2015, 03:38:33 AM
In the beginning of this game it was Tuluk and Allanak...with a barely there place known as Redstorm.

In the beginning of this game it was Tuluk and Allanak

In the beginning of this game

In the beginning

go on....
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

I haven't seen much 'good riddance.' I've seen a lot thoughtful responses and a lot of willingness to think about this from staff's viewpoint.

I'll level with you guys: I have been extraordinarily impressed by the way the playerbase as a whole, and northern players specifically, have been handling this. It would be fair to say that there was a certain amount of a "batten down the hatches" feeling upstairs, but I have been frankly blown away by the dialogue here and in the request tool. With very few exceptions, y'all have been gracious, understanding, and willing to consider new opportunities and avenues for RP in the future. There's been some hurt, and some confusion, and even some anger, but the bottom line in nearly every single case has not been "screw you guys, I'm going home," but "okay, what's next for me?"

Maybe sometimes it's been "Screw you guys. What's next for me?" :)

I'm amazed and gratified, and just so goddamned proud of this community.

Northern Staff:  Since the clock is ticking and I have to fly RL to Paris and then Nashville in about 10 days and THEN will be away for about an RL week or 2... I'm writing this here to point out that a report has been answered and could use a reply in the next 24 hours or so...

:) Thank you.
Czar of City Elves.

Drifted back in recently, so I guess I'm glad I was here to see this happening instead of checking in and finding out Tuluk was out of play because that may've been a bit more jarring. I really hope the change makes a positive impact on the game world as a whole, but I'll still miss it.. I may have to dust off some Rider logs.

I have been trying to keep up with the threads and did searches for the last two days worth of posts but I still may have missed a reference somewhere.. from a logistical standpoint are there plans for more player-controllable real estate (apartments&warehouses specifically) to be added elsewhere in the game world to compensate for both the increased population density and the loss of what was available in Tuluk?Apartments in Luirs? *fingerscrossed*

Quote from: Dakota on April 14, 2015, 10:53:24 AM
Northern Staff:  Since the clock is ticking and I have to fly RL to Paris and then Nashville in about 10 days and THEN will be away for about an RL week or 2... I'm writing this here to point out that a report has been answered and could use a reply in the next 24 hours or so...

:) Thank you.

Northern staff as well as other assisting staffers will be handling all such requests prior to the closure deadline.  Thank you for your patience in advance.  While I know this is an exceptional circumstance in general for the playerbase and it will be tough to deal with...please do not use the GDB to browbeat staff into doing your request faster.  Thanks!

Quote from: Lancer on April 14, 2015, 11:03:04 AM
Drifted back in recently, so I guess I'm glad I was here to see this happening instead of checking in and finding out Tuluk was out of play because that may've been a bit more jarring. I really hope the change makes a positive impact on the game world as a whole, but I'll still miss it.. I may have to dust off some Rider logs.

I have been trying to keep up with the threads and did searches for the last two days worth of posts but I still may have missed a reference somewhere.. from a logistical standpoint are there plans for more player-controllable real estate (apartments&warehouses specifically) to be added elsewhere in the game world to compensate for both the increased population density and the loss of what was available in Tuluk?Apartments in Luirs? *fingerscrossed*

Yes.  With regards to warehouses, those will be increasing in number.  With regards to apartments, we'll have to see.  While we want there to be places for PCs to safely put their things, we also view housing (in terms of private apartments) as more of a luxury item than they currently are in the game.  Adhira and I will probably comment more on this later, so stay tuned.

April 14, 2015, 11:24:36 AM #338 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:27:52 AM by shpadoinkle
Warehouses and apartments in the outposts, please! Red Storm, Luir's. Allanak is simply not an option for some most of us with our current northern characters. Hell, even Blackwing. It would be cool to have more of a non-elf presence in that place.
And still voting for a bank in Red Storm. If you're going to yank one of the main spots for playing away, please please make the remaining spots more playable for folks that can't/don't want to venture into Allanak.

Quote from: Nyr on April 14, 2015, 11:06:06 AM
Quote from: Lancer on April 14, 2015, 11:03:04 AM

Yes.  With regards to warehouses, those will be increasing in number.  With regards to apartments, we'll have to see.  While we want there to be places for PCs to safely put their things, we also view housing (in terms of private apartments) as more of a luxury item than they currently are in the game.  Adhira and I will probably comment more on this later, so stay tuned.

What about adding some squatter dens to Red Storm and the Southside of Nak instead of appartments? I don't think there are any in Red Storm, and certainly no convenient ones. Nak has one convenient one that I'm aware of, but it's not really described as a squatter's den. By contrast Luirs and the Rinth are filled with them. Even Tuluk had one specifically described squatter's den, though no one really used it as it was too far off the beaten path.

Feels kind of anti-thematic to Zalanthas to have all these people living in taverns.

April 14, 2015, 11:47:42 AM #340 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:05:53 PM by Molten Heart
For northern PCs, maybe some squatter dens or some other kind of grandfathered housing in the northern outpost that'd dry up as the remaining northern PCs fade will help ease the transition.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I think we're all curious how it will play out.  I don't know about leaving Tuluk open virtually, however.  We'll see, I guess.

I leave FOR ONE DAY and this happens? 

Honestly, there should be a longer timeframe to this, and I have reservations about the whole thing in general. Yet done is done, and we will just have to live with it now, like it or not.

You may have touched on some of these points above, so if there is repetition, forgive me. Yet I feel my two pence is worth putting out there.

For Player interaction:  The Akei  just opened and now they will be in a pretty remote location as far as the rest of the player base is concerned.

For playablility of the entire game world:

I think that instead of total closure, Tuluk should be available to players in the same way as the Blackwing outpost, some quit locations, a tavern, some shops and a stables. Basically Freils. The GMH should all be allowed to have warehouses and some work spaces in Tuluk, just like they do in Red Strom or Luirs now. It s silly and not at all realistic to think that all hunting and storage of materials should all be done from Luirs. This would require no extra staffing, or not much anyways.

For realistic plots:  In an OOC way, but one which will still really impact the game none the less, this move makes Kurac one of the most powerful Houses in the Known. Way over Salarr or Kadius. Improving Luirs and Red Strom both befit Kurac greatly, and since Tuluk will not be playable, Luirs will become the center for players wanting to play up north.  There is no real IC reason for this to happen, and it's kind of hard to make a plot up in two weeks.

I hope some attempt will be made to equalize things a bit.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Norcal on April 14, 2015, 01:51:37 PM
For realistic plots:  In an OOC way, but one which will still really impact the game none the less, this move makes Kurac one of the most powerful Houses in the Known. Way over Salarr or Kadius. Improving Luirs and Red Strom both befit Kurac greatly, and since Tuluk will not be playable, Luirs will become the center for players wanting to play up north. 

^ I agree this would be devious and a very cool plot. IC.  But this is not an IC thing. Sorry if I am being a stick in the mud. I am not angry. Just sad. I love Arm and hate to see any of it go anywhere.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

To all the Tuluk players with current characters, you have my sympathy.

To the staff who had to agonize over this decision, you have my support.

In regards to the concerns about housing g and economy in the Known and South, due to the closing, I cannot help but think that this is a golden opportunity for the 'Rinth to..not so much shine, hellhole that it is, as have the potential to be so much more.  Its the place where the poor go for housing.  Where the down on their luck go to pawn their teeth for a swig of piss-water. Its gangland where you might live on a corner with a local gang that roughs you up and takes half your handful of 'sid on top of a weekly shake down, but they make good on seeing that no one messes with the stuff in your squat.

"My God, it will be glorious."
- Judge Dredd, Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Edit: Typos.  Frigging phone.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: solera on April 14, 2015, 03:19:07 PM
It is a golden opportunity to start a new tribe.  ;)

It is. Join mine!
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

One of the options I'd like to see for Luir's is the addition of apartments and warehouses. This would allow for indie orgs to really thrive there and create a lot more color. Granted, the indie orgs would have to not be competing with Kurac. Is such a thing possible, soon-to-be indie admin?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.