Suggestion: make nobles actually wealthy

Started by Delusion, March 15, 2015, 01:00:46 AM

I think my favorite times playing Arm are acting as a the right hand for a really awesome leader.

With that said, being that right hand is sort of a training exercise for being a really awesome leader someday.  It's the MCB circle of life.

Quote from: wizturbo on March 23, 2015, 01:46:55 PM
I think my favorite times playing Arm are acting as a the right hand for a really awesome leader.

Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on March 23, 2015, 01:49:34 PM
Quote from: wizturbo on March 23, 2015, 01:46:55 PM

Honestly, mine are for being their Left Hand, but only because I had a really BALLER Left Hand once. Only joined the clan because, on day one, he got 4 hunters to join in under a RL hour (with no OOC connections).

Too bad I stored for a Templar (which was fun in its own right).
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Stop complaining about people going salting for siddies or I won't have anyone to raid anymore!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Personally I think things are a little too expensive. I agree with the people who have suggested that most water publically available (from stores and natural resources) should be grey water and that crappy food and clothes should be a little cheaper so that playing dirt poor commoners don't need to make so much money. That way a noble's offer of fifty to a hundred coins and a skin of clean, fresh water for a days work isn't rejected because it's too low!

TLDR: Don't pay nobles more, pay independents less!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on March 23, 2015, 08:22:28 PM

TLDR: Don't pay nobles more, pay independents less!

+1

A sword and armor should be a prized and valuable thing, not something you can get after a day's work.

Most of my thoughts have already been summed up here, but I will add there is something we can all do, as players:

If you have a character that is a new PC with a poor background, you can always choose to act like being offered a 400 coin bribe or whatnot is a lot of money.

I wonder if a lot of the pooh-poohing of "low" amounts of money comes from a subconscious bias because we've all played a character at one point or another that basically had coin falling out the ass. I know it's something I had to actually pay attention to when I went straight from playing a wealthy, well-connected PC to playing a brand new one.

This is one of those examples where "being the change" can actually have a pretty decent impact.

Just because you the player know that there are people who go out and forage for ___ then sell it for thousands of coins a day doesn't mean you have to RP that unless your character comes across it firsthand.

If you stick to the docs, RP being wowed at being offered a 400 coin payment by a noble, and come up against some idiot who goes, "lol i make ten times that grebbin salt, buy ale" then every single person in the tavern will choose to RP with you and call that guy an idiot or refuse to believe him.

Peer pressure works.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

As I've stated elsewhere, the economy needs work to crush the peon and common caste, not inflation via noble lifting.  Make it worth drooling over.

March 29, 2015, 03:07:00 AM #108 Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:22:57 AM by Dresan
Even if people got paid less, and things made to cost more, the only ones you'd be hurting would be new characters. Eventually you'd get that sword, that piece of armor and then what? Sid would be once again worthless, sure it would take longer and be more annoying to gather up all that sid before you die to a scrab, perhaps but ultimately we'd end up at the same point. However this is why I suggested more tempting money sinks.

Longer lasting, more potent, risk free but expensive spice from kurac.
Allow more people to live in larger apartments but increasing the rent accordingly.
What if stronger, more exotic mounts cost more to stable and maintain.
What if equipment slowly broke down, it would not lose any effectiveness as it broke down or look worn out like shields, but everyone could assess -v and notice roughly how long (longer than a year when brand new) before they should consider buying new gear to replace the old one that would be about to break in two and disappear from their inventory.

All that said, and I kinda hate to admit this but the biggest problem in the south in terms of over abundance of sid is basically salting. It makes too little money when you start out and too much money when you actually get good at forage. I think finding salt and filling up a sack should be made easier  but slightly more exhausting so people still take a IC day to manage it. At the same time a certain fat man should stop buying salts. This would make salting good way for new character to afford water and food and make a small bit on the sid for next week in case they don't feel like salting.  This makes it easier for newbies to eat and drink and basically survive day to day until something more interesting happens, but not be a money maker for veteran PCs .

Though I'm not sure what kind of negative effects (if any) might emerge as people are forced to find other sources of income in the game. Not to mention there are still plenty of people that can become rich regardless of any changes to salting due to knowledge or guild/sub-guild combo, which is why I think more money cool money sinks is the way to go.

If obsidian is worthless, Templars need to start making it worth something by actively taxing people they meet.

March 29, 2015, 03:34:44 AM #110 Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:41:53 AM by Dresan
Quote from: Saellyn on March 29, 2015, 03:16:35 AM
If obsidian is worthless, Templars need to start making it worth something by actively taxing people they meet.

The problem here is that obsidian is worthless to Templars too. Again more interesting money sinks for everyone including templars might help the game. That way actually having sid and offering a bribe might actually get you some results.

Like more games? New thread, more games in game to spend your sid on!

Of course money is useless to templars. What does a templar really need? Weapons that are supplied for them? Food they already get? You don't tax for youself, you tax for the state and in order to keep the masses down.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

All the pet projects of templars would, I imagine, cost a lot of money.

Buying the support of your superiors or peers to get that promotion, or law passed, or approval to attack that village costs money. It's not something that really plays out in game though, hence my post the other day about Arm politics feeling much more like Cersei vs Tyrion than Tywin vs the Queen of Thorns.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.