Elf racial running

Started by MeTekillot, February 09, 2015, 01:12:07 PM

Quote from: Patuk on February 11, 2015, 07:27:19 PM
It may take a little while, but alright, I will.

Sweet.  I'd personally love to hear your opinions on this same topic after playing through that role with an actual tribe at your back.

Quote from: wizturbo on February 11, 2015, 07:43:04 PM
Quote from: Patuk on February 11, 2015, 07:27:19 PM
It may take a little while, but alright, I will.

Sweet.  I'd personally love to hear your opinions on this same topic after playing through that role with an actual tribe at your back.

"It was fun until about three hours in, when we were all ruthlessly curb-stomped by the militia because some pickpocket nicked a dagger, we hadn't even done anything yet."
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Hey, I had an Akai once. Once. It was some of the greatest fun I ever had in Arm, even if I think the Akai had some sueish traits that made them feel less 'authentic' than an actual tribe might.

The ironic part is that if I put out a 4-man role call, I'd get more people to play with than I did back then. I guess I just really like playing elves  :)
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 11, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

"It was fun until about three hours in, when we were all ruthlessly curb-stomped by the militia because some pickpocket nicked a dagger, we hadn't even done anything yet."

I don't see how this is any different than if a newbie human pickpocket nicked a dagger?  Stealing directly from people is dangerous as fuck.  Be a tribe that's smarter than that, at least until your tribe's pickpocket has become a real artist at stealing shit.   Better yet, make the tribe in Tuluk, and have that pickpocket be a shadow artist.   Of course it'll be hard mode...  But that's the whole point of playing an elf in my opinion.

Fuji is implying that a theft they had nothing to do with got pinned on them, which happens often enough when there are few criminal PC's about.

February 11, 2015, 08:04:48 PM #80 Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:13:08 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: Patuk on February 11, 2015, 07:56:49 PM
Fuji is implying that a theft they had nothing to do with got pinned on them, which happens often enough when there are few criminal PC's about.

Some suggestions:

• Bribe a Templar every IC month to protect your tribe against such false accusations.  Or do some work for them in trade.
  • Bribe the Militia directly.  Either in advance, or when they show up for a curb stomping.
  • Get dirt on everyone you can and blackmail them if they start fucking with you.
  • Keep a low profile until you're able to set up one of these things.  Maybe keep a low profile no matter what.
  • Or, as a last ditch effort...make good use of your city run bonuses?

I guarantee it won't be easy, but it sounds like it could be a ton of fun if you've got a solid group of active tribe mates.   I'd personally use up one of my CGP apps for a role like this, to give myself a skill boost so my PC was more effective right out of the gates, since it sounds like you might get a lot of action right away.  Damn, makes me want to try playing one...and I consider myself anti-elf.

Quote from: wizturbo on February 11, 2015, 08:04:48 PM
Quote from: Patuk on February 11, 2015, 07:56:49 PM

Some suggestions:

• Bribe a Templar every IC month to protect your tribe against such false accusations.  Or do some work for them in trade.
  • Bribe the Militia directly.  Either in advance, or when they show up for a curb stomping.
  • Get dirt on everyone you can and blackmail them if they start fucking with you.
  • Keep a low profile until you're able to set up one of these things.
  • Or, as a last ditch effort...make good use of your city run bonuses?

I guarantee it won't be easy, but it sounds like it could be a ton of fun if you've got a solid group of active tribe mates.   I'd personally use up one of my CGP apps for a role like this, to give myself a skill boost so my PC was more effective right out of the gates, since it sounds like you might get a lot of action right away.

You can do ALL of this, and there's a half-decent chance they will just take your coin, and do it anyway, because, heh, elves. Really, a long-term view would be, well, if they keep paying, I make more in the long run. Problem is, elves don't live long if they take chances with continued threats (because they will continue to come up with new and unpredictable means of disposing of you, so it's safer to just find the source and eliminate it), and slights and such, as per the documentation, must be avenged. If the militia is not careful with how they conduct a shakedown it could have catastrophic ripples, for one or both parties.

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 11, 2015, 08:13:35 PM

... and slights and such, as per the documentation, must be avenged....

Where is that in the documentation?  I mean, depending on the slight it might be very likely, I didn't think it was mandatory?

Quote from: Fujikoma on February 11, 2015, 08:13:35 PM
If the militia is not careful with how they conduct a shakedown it could have catastrophic ripples, for one or both parties.

Or not, because, hehe, elves!

(But to be fair: c-elves with virtual tribes seem to be in a really weird spot since they have no non-staff way of really bringing that virtual power to bear in addressing slights and what-not.  But is that really part of the documentation?)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

February 11, 2015, 08:31:08 PM #84 Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:39:02 PM by Patuk
 It is. One second.

EDIT: Here you go. It's on the old site, but the sole reason I went there is because I would know where to look. It's very far down on the page.

http://old.armageddon.org/rp/racial/elven.html

Quoted for you:

QuoteAs a general rule, the pride of elves makes them very sensitive to the amount of respect given them by both their tribemates and outsiders. In the case of outsiders, this will make elves very observant of how they are treated, and give them very long memories. Elves will remember even the smallest insult, and it will affect them for perhaps the rest of their lives. The theme of revenge often plays a large role in the lives of elves, because they are so sensitive, and so proud - many elves see revenge as the only way to regain the lost pride caused by an insult. The extent of the insult will determine the extent of the revenge, but most elves decide to inflict more damage with the revenge that was done by the insult: thus making them the "winners of the pride race." Because of the long memory elves have for such things, thoughts of revenge can continue for years and years before the opportunity prevents itself. Similarly, if someone treats an elf with respect and even gifts, this will be playing to their strong sense of pride, and will likely make them more favorable towards you. Of course, because of the paranoid nature of elves, this is not always the case.

This pride also plays a role in a tribal elf's relationship with their tribemates. Because the pride makes elves overly sensitive to both insults and compliments, social pressure tends to be a large factor in the politics of a tribe. While insults and compliments can lead to revenge, paranoia, and perceived flattery when they come from outsiders; from tribemates they indicate a sense of social standing - the emotions created by the insults cannot be turned towards revenge, so they instead become turned inward to portray identity within the tribe. When more tribemates respect an individual, that individual becomes more important, and the respect (or lack thereof) that that individual exhibits becomes more influential - and vice versa. The extent of this, and how it interacts with political structure, can vary from tribe to tribe

Interesting.  Surprised city elves aren't extinct.

February 11, 2015, 08:48:52 PM #87 Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:52:57 PM by BadSkeelz
Which just makes PKing them on sight all the more reasonable since you don't want to get backstabbed 20 years down the road when you >look at them without putting in a command emote or something. ::)

I'm glad that doc didn't make the transition to the new site. Elves should be prideful and prickly and remember debts and grudges, but taking a doc like that at face value is suicide. If they had any sort of coded or political power it'd make a little more sense, but as they stand in game now it just makes them look stupid. Are a bunch of powerless nobodies really going to swear revenge on people who, one way or another, can bring much greater violence to bear on them? I wouldn't.

Quote from: wizturbo on February 11, 2015, 08:48:03 PM
Interesting.  Surprised city elves aren't extinct.

No kidding. Their docs are can be pretty stupid and give very little justification for their continued existence.

Ah I see, it's all from the old site.  Perhaps that documentation wasn't moved over to the new site for a reason then?  A bit of elven culture revision, with all the tribes that were overly fixed on revenge and vendetta's having died out?

The power of copy/pasting lines from that blurb suggests that said bit did make it into the new documentation.

And seriously, things would be much better if they actually could be played in that way. Even if I did go ahead and put in a family role call right now, that's still half the amount of players any given clan will have at any point in time.

It's in the d-elf helpfiles. You'd know if you were thorough in your investigation of elven roleplay. It's not actually suicidal, honestly, it's suicidal of the dumb fuck that has no idea the massive pile of poo he just stepped in. City-elves are bound to be somewhat more tame and experienced with dealing with humans, but don't expect them to just keep letting you shovel crap all over them for lulz.

That's actually kind of a good thing, though the delf issue is pretty much the celf's opposite - they are unopposed entirely in their little corner of the world.

Still doesn't mean celves are going to take everything lying down. Or that they should make better targets than dwarves.

A dwarf should be so intent on their focus that grudges seem illogical, unless of course the person poses significant risk to accomplishing it, so I think one would be less inclined to fuck with an elf over a dwarf. I like that elves have all these different types of pride. I find it very fitting. It would be nice if it were possible to show this pride in game without being suddenly smashed under a boot-heel because everyone knows you have no authority or status, not even in the eastside Labyrinth.

In theory, an elf master bars and shadow artist are the highest social tiers available to elves in the world.  Or are elves not able to be shadow artists?

They are. I doubt Rusarla would promote an elf to master bard status, though. Also, shadow artist status isn't really helpful in public life, unless you're so ridiculously competent that you can flaunt your badassery and accomplish ratsucker-style senior noble assassinations like it ain't no thang.

No idea what ratsucker-style assassin's are...but I'll assume they're pretty awesome.

February 11, 2015, 09:20:54 PM #96 Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:25:02 PM by RogueGunslinger
The Ratsucker was scary as fuck. Was a plotline that lasted quite a bit of time.

From chronology:
Quotec.1613 (Year 73 Age 21)
At a rousing event in the Allanaki Arena, a behemoth of a spider is brought out to be slain by the gladiators. Upon being slain, countless smaller spiders burst from its corpse. Some of them escape into the stands and beyond. Over the course of the next few years, rising reports of dead rats and smaller animals lead to the discovery of those spiders having bred beneath the city and in the poorer districts. The burgeoning infestation of spiders is wiped out, but not before they wreak havoc and fear across the city-state.

edit:
It was one of the few times I remember getting a staff animation for my nobody character and instead of going "This is awesome, I hope something dies, this will be a cool story to tell later!" I went "Fuck this shit!." and ran with my tail between my legs.

I'm going to preemptively say that this was on the Allanaki rumor board back then and should influence absolutely no modern plots at all, so please don't moderate this.

The assassination I referred to was one where a Senior Lady of Borsail blood just up and got jacked off a balcony by freaking spiders. No wholesale slaughter or swarming, just abseiling from above and pow, she gone. Awesome.

It would be good to understand this about documentation:  documentation on the current website would be actual documentation we would expect to use unless stated otherwise.  The old website is still available as an artifact to refer back to from time to time--it serves very few necessary purposes nowadays.  Stuff on the current site...for the most part...was edited/put there with specific purpose.

Take some time and learn where that quoted portion is in current documentation.  It'd be a good exercise in understanding elven roleplay for the different subtypes of elves, and from there, you have more differentiation for different elven tribes.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on February 11, 2015, 09:47:48 PM
It would be good to understand this about documentation:  documentation on the current website would be actual documentation we would expect to use unless stated otherwise.  The old website is still available as an artifact to refer back to from time to time--it serves very few necessary purposes nowadays.  Stuff on the current site...for the most part...was edited/put there with specific purpose.

Take some time and learn where that quoted portion is in current documentation.  It'd be a good exercise in understanding elven roleplay for the different subtypes of elves, and from there, you have more differentiation for different elven tribes.

Yes, but if city elves are so unreasonable as to refuse to ride because of their non-existent endurance, then it also stands to unreasonableness that they'll follow the d-elf docs as far as their racial pride is concerned. I swear, it was in c-elf documentation until recently, I looked over it carefully many times. Must've changed sometime in the last year.