Weapons out while Following Ranger

Started by RogueGunslinger, February 06, 2015, 09:34:55 AM

February 06, 2015, 09:34:55 AM Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:38:18 AM by RogueGunslinger
So, it occurred to me when making this post that it doesn't make much sense that when outside following your leader that unless you're privy to which subguilds to take or which items to wear you're simply never going to ride with both weapons out or a weapon and a shield.

In some ways I like that and don't think it should go away completely. However, I think if all your clans beasts are moving in a pack, there's not much that should be required of you, as a rider, to keep them following that pack. Therefore I suggest that when following a ranger(or someone with high direction sense) you should be able to bust out both weapons, or a shield.

You're basically just along for the ride at that point, so why not? It would also cut down on all those fucking commands you need to go through in that post.

Just how large are mount reins that you can't hold them whilst strapping on a shield/grabbing a sword anyway?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I'm too busy managing the large bags in my inventory to carry two weapons.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Having ridden many a horse in many a trail ride, I can get behind this...assuming our pack animals have the same pack mentality.

You don't really have to direct them at all once they get moving along with a "lead critter". They lead themselves.

Also, anything that makes Rangers more useful/more a necessity for desert travel is generally something I can get behind.

I still think "ranger listen" should make them able to hear bahamets/mekillots in the near distance to prevent them from leading their groups into instant death scenarios. It would make them that much more useful in the desert.

You hear the faint thudding of heavy footfalls to the northeast.
You hear the faint thudding of heavy footfalls to the southeast.

It never made a great deal of sense to me that I can hear people whispering to each other, or hear people talking through doors, but I can't hear that giant dinosaur moving around over there next to me.

Things like that.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I also think rangers should get less of a negative to being able to see distances in sandstorms. When everyone else can only see two squares in that stinging sand...they should be able to see three...when everyone else can only see one square...they should be able to see two.

Quote from: Desertman on February 06, 2015, 10:01:36 AM
Having ridden many a horse in many a trail ride, I can get behind this...assuming our pack animals have the same pack mentality.

Right with you there, but...

... there would also need to be a ride test for everyone in the "pack" as soon as anyone in the pack is engaged in combat.  Because if one horse spooks, they all do.  Extra negatives if the attack is from stealth/invis.

... the animals should have the opportunity not just to throw their mounts, but to flee in a random direction if the ride check is failed sufficiently.

... there should be a check for stuff like weapons to be dropped when you fall off.  Mods for how big the critters are.

So, not having played many rangers myself... I'll go ahead and hold the reins while I'm riding to avoid all of the above.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I don't disagree with any of those things, but I think following a ranger should give you bonuses to all of those things not happening.

I guess a lot of this depends on how much you assume Zalanthan beasts of burden are like horses psychologically. Do they travel in big packs/herds? Are they easily spooked or aggressive predators?

I can see erdlu or sunbacks have pack mentalities much easier than inix. Too many inix together in the wild would probably starve within the week.

Similarly, beetles with their ridiculously large jaws and beasts described as being good at fighting like sunbacks probably are less easy to startle and scare.

(Inix need a nerf anyway srsly)

This idea seems to be getting increasingly complicated. If all of the above is true, shouldn't training your animal to withstand combat also be a thing, as well as teaching it to respond to your knees instead of your reins?

Yeah and taming should require lots of work, not just hopping on somethings back. I say we keep shit simple and just go with the original idea. :P

Quote from: aeglaeca on February 06, 2015, 11:09:08 AM
This idea seems to be getting increasingly complicated. If all of the above is true, shouldn't training your animal to withstand combat also be a thing, as well as teaching it to respond to your knees instead of your reins?

;D - This would be your Riding skill.  So yes, it should be.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

.. Heh. Fair. Baby steps!

There have been a lot of times I've had a character with master direction sense and lost people following me while riding, so I'm not sure exactly how direction sense really works for those following.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on February 06, 2015, 11:15:13 AM
There have been a lot of times I've had a character with master direction sense and lost people following me while riding, so I'm not sure exactly how direction sense really works for those following.

Possible you were Master but not Mastered, in a very bad storm(though not the worst where you can't see) while on rough terrain. I've noticed not all storms are the same, even if they're described the same.

Also, Ride may be taken into account.

Direction Sense is not necessarily your ability to lead others through a storm, but just your own ability to get yourself through a storm.

Quote from: Desertman on February 06, 2015, 11:51:41 AM

Direction Sense is not necessarily your ability to lead others through a storm, but just your own ability to get yourself through a storm.

Au contraire.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Morgenes on April 06, 2010, 07:44:06 PM
Rangers have a strong change of keeping everyone together, especially if they are equipped properly.

Quote from: Morgenes on April 06, 2010, 10:16:14 PM
Quote from: Ghost on April 06, 2010, 08:02:02 PM
So, keeping the party together depends on the guide's skill level?

That would make sense to me.

Also found something in that thread I might add to my sig because it amuses me.  Anyway, yes, direction sense is related not just to your ability to navigate.  Prior to it being a skill, you just had to follow a ranger and you were fine.  Now you can follow anyone with direction sense and they'll be able to help (dependent on skill).
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

It'd make sense if ride worked like direction sense in that way. At least IRL, horses will more readily follow another rider when in a group than go somewhere when alone.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Nyr on February 06, 2015, 12:12:35 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on April 06, 2010, 07:44:06 PM
Rangers have a strong change of keeping everyone together, especially if they are equipped properly.

Quote from: Morgenes on April 06, 2010, 10:16:14 PM
Quote from: Ghost on April 06, 2010, 08:02:02 PM
So, keeping the party together depends on the guide's skill level?

That would make sense to me.

Also found something in that thread I might add to my sig because it amuses me.  Anyway, yes, direction sense is related not just to your ability to navigate.  Prior to it being a skill, you just had to follow a ranger and you were fine.  Now you can follow anyone with direction sense and they'll be able to help (dependent on skill).

I stand corrected.

If your people are scattering but your direction sense is awesome, might want to check their equipment.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I suppose I'll take this moment to note that sunslits for direction sense only barely make sense. Sunslits are supposed to be for, you guessed it, the sun. Facewraps should be what help you in a storm. Especially thin mesh ones that cover the whole face.

Looking back from atop his inix in a direction vaguely towards the rest of the group, the male figure wearing a burlap sack over his head says, in tribal accented sirihish,
    "You mates down to move out or wot?"

February 06, 2015, 02:28:25 PM #22 Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:32:13 PM by Nyr
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 06, 2015, 02:14:40 PM
I suppose I'll take this moment to note that sunslits for direction sense only barely make sense. Sunslits are supposed to be for, you guessed it, the sun. Facewraps should be what help you in a storm. Especially thin mesh ones that cover the whole face.

Woops, pressed enter early there.

There is a lot of gear that can be used to help with navigating storms.  Sunslits can be useful for two things, though.

Facewraps should also make the echoes you get from volcanoes, like the one that was outside of Nak, not hurt you nearly as much/at all in some cases.

^ Circumstantial evidence via actual experience suggests that sun-slits are the only thing that do help with navigating storms.

But circumstantial evidence could be wrong.

I agree with Desertman about the facewraps vs volcanic air thing too.