26 (38.8%)
No
38 (56.7%)
Emote about talking dirty
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

I'm sensitive.
I play Arm.
At some point during my filthy talk I'm going to ask for consent. Sooooo much easier than someone breaking character in the midst of what you thought was okay to say "hey! Where's consent?!".

I once had a newb break character cause my Bynner checked out his ass in a hemote he caught.  No lie.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Does anyone actually think that basic civility with regards to interactions with another PLAYER is going to result in the disneyfication of Armageddon?

If the answer is yes, then my next question is how far your head is stuck up your ass right now?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on December 31, 2014, 06:18:06 PM
Does anyone actually think that basic civility with regards to interactions with another PLAYER is going to result in the disneyfication of Armageddon?

If the answer is yes, then my next question is how far your head is stuck up your ass right now?

I think the general worry is that some people are going to expect other people to adhere to their opinion of what "basic civility" is and file reports against them for not having the same belief structure.

For example, someone said previously you might want to ask for consent to emote stripping someone knocked out.

I don't agree with that. I think it is absolutely within the confines of basic civility to not ask for consent just to strip someone...but obviously...someone disagrees.

I prefer actual rules, not opinions open to interpretation.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

seems to be advocating basic civility, then asks how far your head is stuck up your ass if opinion differs

lolwtf
Whatever happens, happens.

I think the only time you should have to ask for consent is to roleplay explicitly sexual or gruesomely violent and detailed scenes.

Quote from: TheWanderer on December 31, 2014, 06:25:11 PM

seems to be advocating basic civility, then asks how far your head is stuck up your ass if opinion differs

lolwtf

Really the only person who would disagree with the decency crowd would have to be some kind of dog-kanking Nazi war-criminal psychopath who likes to wear high heels when they think no one is looking, and so it's a valid question. *arches an eyebrow*
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 31, 2014, 06:35:31 PM
I think the only time you should have to ask for consent is to roleplay explicitly sexual or gruesomely violent and detailed scenes.

I'm also in favor of the actual topic consideration: Consent to roleplay explicitly sexual or gruesomely violent and detailed discussion.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Is a flag for automatic consent to potentially disturbing roleplay under actual consideration? It seems like it would be a nice, useful thing with the caveat a player can stop a scene with an OOC request at any time.

Quote from: aeglaeca on December 31, 2014, 08:25:59 PM
Is a flag for automatic consent to potentially disturbing roleplay under actual consideration? It seems like it would be a nice, useful thing with the caveat a player can stop a scene with an OOC request at any time.
It keeps getting proposed every time this topic comes up. It's been like that since I started in 2010.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Lizzie on December 31, 2014, 08:19:39 PM
Quote from: MeTekillot on December 31, 2014, 06:35:31 PM

I'm also in favor of the actual topic consideration: Consent to roleplay explicitly sexual or gruesomely violent and detailed discussion.

This
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, slippery slope, folks, and I'm not the only one that thinks it. Be nice if an admin chimed in here to give some opinions on the removal of rape plotlines LAST christmas, and why it was done again... it wasn't meant to protect your delicate sensitivities, it was meant to reduce staff workload -because- your delicate sensitivities simply could not be removed from the equation, for whatever reason.

December 31, 2014, 09:49:40 PM #161 Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:11:35 PM by TheWanderer
Quote from: Fujikoma on December 31, 2014, 07:55:53 PM
Really the only person who would disagree with the decency crowd would have to be some kind of dog-kanking Nazi war-criminal psychopath who likes to wear high heels when they think no one is looking, and so it's a valid question. *arches an eyebrow*

an' dat was the day I learned da entire internet was ruled by da Nazis.

should clarify point: you don't preach against dog-screwing Nazis, then go strap on your Nazi uniform and screw a dog.
Whatever happens, happens.

So glad those dumb rape plots were taken out.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on December 31, 2014, 11:38:59 PM

If you'd play a male character, then I would have pursued one eventually... nope, can't do it now. :P

Less censorship.  More deal with it. Barring time restraint or children present while you play I think consent as a wholeshould be ununnecessary.  Then again I'm not offended by much
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

January 01, 2015, 06:23:46 AM #165 Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:18:23 AM by Nergal
What about background sex?

The figure in a brown hooded cloak sits at the ledge here, being fellated by a male.

(Mod edit: took out PNSFW comic drawing of fellatio.)

If I put that as my change ldesc, do I have to constantly spout:
>OOC for consent! I'm getting a BJ!

or could I just keep it until someone with the flag that says they don't want explicit content on shows up, then I end the scene and tuck my junk.

(btw. this pic kinda turns me on.)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Majikal on January 01, 2015, 04:25:04 AM
Less censorship. 
It's not censorship. You have the privilege to express yourself here. Not the right.

QuoteMore deal with it. Barring time restraint or children present while you play I think consent as a whole should be ununnecessary.
This is probably not the game for you then.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

This thread is not about whether consent is necessary in the game, or whether the players of dead PCs should be asked consent before necrophilia, or the ban on rape and sexual torture plots, or whatever else this thread has veered into. It was about one simple question:

"Should you OOC for consent if you're going to talk dirty to someone but not emote dirty to them?"
And the question was answered, actually by the OP: "I think the only time you should have to ask for consent is to roleplay explicitly sexual or gruesomely violent and detailed scenes."

The consent rules are very clear-cut when it comes to matters in which consent is needed, and what RP is allowed and what isn't, regardless of the sensitivity of players. The consent rules are well in-line with MUDs similar to our own - RP MUDs with adult themes and adult players. If you want to discuss the consent rule in general, and believe you can do it in a way that doesn't accuse other players of being oversensitive children, then do so. If you can't, then the thread will be locked.

So you're saying that yes, you need to consent for dirty talk?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 01, 2015, 09:00:32 AM
So you're saying that yes, you need to consent for dirty talk?

With a literal reading of the rules, bearing in mind I struggle to take any argument on this subject seriously:

The rules, I assume, don't exist to protect characters. We can assume they exist for the benefit of players and of staff.
Armageddon is a text-based game where what is read as an emote and what is read as 'dialogue' both appear the same outside of some minor formatting concerns.
If actions and words are interchangeable in the game medium then it's arguable that when words are indistinguishable from actions then the same rules should apply to both.
This depends heavily on context. As a rule of thumb I'd say the two become indistinguishable when instead of summarising/discussing/alluding to the act in question you are describing the acts themselves in a direct or mechanical way.

As an example:
"I'd probably take it in for a tune up, get a full check up and, if I get a good price, trade it in."
vs.
"I'm going to pull up to the station and watch as the mechanic pops the hood and roots around under the bonnet. Each piece is going to be properly removed, oiled and replaced."

Or whatever.

So, if you may as well be emoting - then yes, I'd say you should ask consent.

Quote from: Fujikoma on January 01, 2015, 02:04:32 AM
Quote from: Is Friday on December 31, 2014, 11:38:59 PM

If you'd play a male character, then I would have pursued one eventually... nope, can't do it now. :P
I know that you're joking, but this is in bad taste. And I know bad taste jokes. I'm a Marine.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

January 01, 2015, 11:36:40 AM #172 Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:41:16 AM by Desertman
Well, the next time I walk into a really crowded tavern with my gritty mercenary and say to the girl with the big tits at the bar:

"Hey'a wench, why don't you'n me get on back ta' my room so I can slam my meat stick up in yer' axe wound and feed ya' my man jelly."

.....I'm going to gladly accept the player complaints.

If I play the sort of game -now- where saying that with my extremely crude characters, (which I have done a thousand times probably, I've played many crude characters), is worthy of a complaint, the game just changed a lot.

I've played characters where I would have to "OOC Consent to my character talking dirty?" every time a new person walked into the room just so they could walk past my table.

I hope you don't get any complaints about that D-man! Comical euphemisms are awesome. When I need/want to FTB on sex scenes that's my preferred fade RP (the "ok we had sex, you came, I didn't, we're dressed now, scene over" thing is SO boring). But yeah I consider that fade material, not explicit sexual scene/discussion material.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I hope I don't either. I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just pointing out that if we allow people to file complaints for dirty talk, there WILL be some who file complaints for a lot of my characters because they have and will continue to say things like that regularly.