Mastercrafting Policy Suggestion

Started by FantasyWriter, December 06, 2014, 03:27:17 PM

Should GHM Leaders have access to Virtual Master Crafters (and tribal leaders where appropriate)?

Yes.
No. Play a Guild Merchant Master-Crafter or Go Home.
Meh.
December 12, 2014, 01:05:41 PM #25 Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:09:50 PM by Ender
Quote from: Fujikoma on December 12, 2014, 12:46:25 PM
That's a horrible idea. What about the people not mastercrafting unique items, but interesting crap for the lower classes? What about the lack of recipes that needs to be filled out over time? Screw clans, they can handle their own line of crap and we can handle ours.

I don't understand what your issue is.  My idea would force non-clan merchants to do just that.  They'd be making more mundane normal items to fill out the world.

unique crafted items: unique but lower quality goods than master crafts.  Could be used to give a crafting recipe to existing non-masterwork items that currently lack crafting recipes.

masterwork crafted items: OMG MASTERWORK
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on December 12, 2014, 01:05:41 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on December 12, 2014, 12:46:25 PM
That's a horrible idea. What about the people not mastercrafting unique items, but interesting crap for the lower classes? What about the lack of recipes that needs to be filled out over time? Screw clans, they can handle their own line of crap and we can handle ours.

I don't understand what your issue is.  My idea would force non-clan merchants to do just that.  They'd be making more mundane normal items to fill out the world.

unique crafted items: unique but lower quality goods than master crafts.  Could be used to give a crafting recipe to existing non-masterwork items that currently lack crafting recipes.

masterwork crafted items: OMG MASTERWORK

Allllright. As long as we can continue to mastercraft things that others can craft, I don't mind, and in fact, agree. Whenever someone approaches an indie crafter of mine and says "I'd like a jewel encrusted saber that no one else can have." he acts interested and hears them out, says, I'll think about it and get back to you, and never does. Why am I going to spend a RL month making just one thing for just one PC that will probably end up locked up in some cabinet of curiosities, when I could be designing some crap that folks are going to be using for forever? Plus, there's no gaurentees my PC will survive the next month, even. If they have an agenda they're working on, it really doesn't make sense to halt the presses for Lord Poopypants's custom dildo, because they're rushing to complete their own work frantically before someone or something kills them. You want a ruby studded dildo, Lord Poopypants, please select the appropriate extended subguild before making your PC, that is all.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Ender on December 12, 2014, 11:10:28 AM
I'd like to see the system change to something like this:

Rename Mastercrafts to Unique Crafts and give Mastercrafts only to crafters in Merchant Houses.

Indy merchants/ext subguilds can still make unique items, but they are given hard limits in value and quality.

Quality to represent both their lack of access to materials/tools that would truly facilitate something you would consider a MASTER craft.  

Value would be limited because it doesn't matter how many diamonds you jammed into your gold encrusted bastard sword, it just doesn't have that Salarr stamp on it, so people simply won't pay as much for it.

An indy merchant could only gain access to true mastercrafts if they manage to make their organization into a Minor House as per the rules announced earlier this year.

I don't see the need for this change because it pretty much already exists in game.  If staff doesn't think that your character should be able to mastercraft an item because you don't have access to the tools or materials to make an item, they will politely inform you when you submit your mastercraft.  It says so right in the helpfile.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.