Prompts, who needs them?! (changed)

Started by Nathvaan, August 26, 2014, 02:58:38 PM

I have decided to remove prompts all together because they are cramping my limited screen real estate on my 12" monochrome CRT monitor.  So discuss!

Seriously though, I am looking into creating a branch to make some adjustments to the good ol' prompt! There are many changes that we put in that are just too heavy in the mechanics of the game to solicit suggestions early (sometimes at all) in the process, this is not one of those!  So I would like to get a discussion started on that topic.

So this is a -perfect- place to discuss what things you always thought you might like to be able to see in your prompt!

But, to be perfectly clear, I am not saying that if you suggest something in this thread it will be implemented.  But I can tell you it will be discussed and vetted among staff per our normal processes as I build a design document.

Also, as a note: Please do not go off on tangents about what other things, code or other wise, you would like to see implemented.  That really just muddies the waters and makes it harder for me to suss out the ideas from the din!  If you feel you want to go off on a tangent, please create another thread!

What would you like to see available in the prompt?
What, if anything, would you like to see changed in the prompt?

I'd like to have a flag available in the prompt telling us if we're being followed (NOT shadowed). You know, for those times when your big dramatic exit is spoiled by dragging half the clan along with you.

I would like to know which, if any, observation skills I am currently using: Scan, Listen, Watch, or more precisely when the skills toggle off.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Off the cuff, it would be great if the position flag told you if you were mounted.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on August 26, 2014, 03:08:55 PM
Off the cuff, it would be great if the position flag told you if you were mounted.

You can already flag yourself to say what mount you're riding, or none. It's what I use to keep myself notified. It IS long, though.

* A status effects list (spells, psionics, diseases, poisons, etc).  That is, the list that shows up in score.
-- For a short version(s), maybe just display flags for being under broad classes of effects (magick, psionics, poison).

* Position (%s) should have a value for "mounted".

* Hunger, thirst.

* Intoxication.

* Server timestamp (maybe useful for logging).

* Item in primary hand.  Item in secondary hand.

* Status flags for various skills not currently included: scan, watch, listen, guard

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 26, 2014, 03:13:34 PM
It IS long, though.

I don't use it for this reason. I would much rather see it as a single word (mounted) in the position slot as suggested.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 26, 2014, 03:08:07 PM
I would like to know which, if any, observation skills I am currently using: Scan, Listen, Watch, or more precisely when the skills toggle off.

This would be great.  This would go in my prompt.

I wouldn't mind seeing hunger/thirst status so I could alias my client to choke out the "You are a little hungry" "You are thirsty" etc, messages.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

August 26, 2014, 03:17:19 PM #8 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:19:00 PM by Molten Heart
If we're making wish lists, I'd like to see prompt options available in the infobar.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

To be honest, I just use the code-generated prompt, because all other prompt's i've made get in the way of my screen!

It would be great if it were an info bar.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 26, 2014, 03:06:44 PM
I'd like to have a flag available in the prompt telling us if we're being followed (NOT shadowed). You know, for those times when your big dramatic exit is spoiled by dragging half the clan along with you.

Also good for when leading an adventure to know if you've lost the people following you or not because reasons.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 26, 2014, 03:08:07 PM

This. And the watch option to have a modifier that you can opt to add to see who/what/direction you are watching.

Wanted.

Seriously it's bad when you forget you're wanted and wander past a soldier. This is available in "stat" so I think having a flag for legal status would be neat. %c (for crime)  wanted/unwanted

Then again I don't really want to walk around with a prompt that has the phrase: You are unwanted.

%n has %h, %t and %v. It is %e %d. You are %A and %c
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I'm lazy and didn't check the helpfile to see whether these were already available:

- Current percentage of total HP, percentage of total stun, etc. (a mud client could easily do this, but seems easy to code serverside).

- Since it was brought up in another thread, the condition string that's being tacked onto your ldesc (bleeding lightly, bleeding heavily, appearing very tired - etc.)

- Who your mind is currently in contact with via the Way (or an empty string if none).

- Whether you're excited or not (preventing you from quitting the game) - useful for combat/sparring types.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

August 26, 2014, 08:25:42 PM #14 Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:43:16 AM by CodeMaster
Also, users of tinyfugue might be interested to have it possible to display "*\b" in the prompt for their own infobars (more specifically, the backspace character or other GOAHEAD/END-OF-RECORD combinations)

q.v.
http://northstar-www.dartmouth.edu/doc/tf/topics/prompts.html
http://northstar-www.dartmouth.edu/doc/tf/topics/prompt_protocol.html

Quote from: CodeMaster on August 26, 2014, 08:18:16 PM

- Who your mind is currently in contact with via the Way (or an empty string if none).

I didn't even think of this for an option in your prompt.  I think I like it.

Certain commands (like forage, and empty <item>) have a before-delay and a sometimes a very long 'after-delay'.  It would be cool if there was some kind of indicator in the prompt that showed when you were stuck in the after-delay.

Condition...yes please.
wanted...yes again.

EFFECTS....it does not even have to name the effect. just a simple word that reminds you that you might want to check stat before you enter the city...leave your temple...walk into the bar.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I definitely want to see when I'm high or drunk. I so often forget, especially when being drunk doesn't give echoes to it wearing off.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Basically all the stuff I have already programmed into my prompt in tintin++.

A visual or very shortened depiction of the time. If it could use color that'd be sexy.
Same as above for weather
Having mounted in the prompt (i already substitute riding: none etc but not everybody uses as many substitutions as I do)
color change for your current hp if below the 60ish% threshold of "needs bandaging or sleep to recover"

Optional:

Number of items in your inventory
whether your hood is up or you have an sdesc hiding item on
The post action delay state as above
the number of opponents currently fighting you that you could see with a 'look'
What you're currently lifting

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I can tell you right now the inventory one is out.
having a prompt tell you when something has been planted or stolen....not.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

August 27, 2014, 06:06:03 AM #21 Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:27:21 AM by James de Monet
I wrote a response about prompts vs. heartbeats that seemed pertinent, but it started to feel like a derail, so I moved it over here.

The general idea was wondering if maybe some of the things we would like to see in prompts might not better be served by a different mechanism.  That doesn't help Nathvaan if he has need to make changes to prompts anyway, but if not, maybe it's a worthwhile discussion.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I wouldn't oppose any addition to the existing prompt system. The more options the better. I wouldn't use any other options and I hope that my use of it won't have to change. It's simple and relatively short, just the basics - health, stamina, (mana if I play a mage), and stun.

For everything else I look at stat and score, and I prefer it that way. But again - I encourage more options for those who want them.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I already use an infobar and squelched prompt to save me from spam, but having more options to add to prompt/infobar are always+ from me! I like all the ideas here. Saves and merciful are what I'd really like to add. I find myself fussing with those a lot and am always checking them obsessively.

I like condition, wanted status, and effects.

That said, if you break my Mushclient Infobar, I will cut you.