Prompts, who needs them?! (changed)

Started by Nathvaan, August 26, 2014, 02:58:38 PM

I haven't read through, but I would really like to have intoxication level in my prompt.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: manipura on August 26, 2014, 10:38:26 PM
Quote from: CodeMaster on August 26, 2014, 08:18:16 PM

- Who your mind is currently in contact with via the Way (or an empty string if none).

I didn't even think of this for an option in your prompt.  I think I like it.

Either this or just something that shows your Way status, if any, kind of like that option that shows [ldesc] only if you set an ldesc:

[barrier]
[contact: the chuckle-faced elf]
[barrier, contact: the chuckle-faced elf]            ;; (I think both are possible simultaneously)
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

More prompt items that only appear when they are active.  We already have:

%l - displays "[ldesc] " if an ldesc is active

Note the extra space after [ldesc], which could be removed (I can always insert that space if I want it).

But what about:

%O - displays "[encumbered] " only if encumbrance goes beyond "manageable"
%@ - displays "[accent]" only if you're speaking with the wrong accent for your region
%p - displays "[prone]" only if your character is anything but standing
%r - displays "[hurt]" only if your character is beneath his waking-healing threshold
%K - displays "[riding]" only if you are mounted, otherwise nothing
%W - displays "[psi]" if some psionic skill is active (contact, barrier)

Basically this would let me have a HUGE prompt that's invisible most of the time. :)

the above is an excellent post. I currently use substitutions to accomplish exactly this, so I have been happy with my prompt for years, but if it were coded into the game it'd make everyone's experience better :)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Thanks for all the requirement ideas, keep them coming.  I will be letting this go for a little while longer before I start writing the requirement.

Thanks Again!

I have a terrible memory. I have wanted in the past to have my prompt remind me of things. How hard would it be to have certain states highlighted? Like armed vs unbolded unarmed.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I will chime in with support for the idea of having values that act as "flags", only appearing when there's relevant information.

I would also suggest that, especially with the suggested additions, we may have too many options to reasonably use with just single-character options.  Might need to have the command starts parsing for whole words, like %health, %maxhealth, %position, etc.

August 29, 2014, 01:58:10 PM #33 Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:02:28 PM by CodeMaster
Someone suggested weather, so this might be the flag version:

%~ - "[storm]" appears only if the weather is 'fierce' or worse

(and might show something else if there's insane weather effects I don't know about, like if it's raining fire from the sky)

edit:format

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 29, 2014, 11:38:51 AM
I will chime in with support for the idea of having values that act as "flags", only appearing when there's relevant information.

I would also suggest that, especially with the suggested additions, we may have too many options to reasonably use with just single-character options.  Might need to have the command starts parsing for whole words, like %health, %maxhealth, %position, etc.

single character % values allow me to set different prompts with in game aliases. Moe's suggestion, if implemented, would make me unable to fit a prompt into the 80ish character limit for in game aliases, so I do not support requiring the full word. If it were optional that would be fine.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

That, to me, suggests then that alias needs a larger limit rather than filling the prompt list with crazy and inscrutable variable characters.

Current darkness/light of the room.

Current weather in the room.

This could be useful for people who have direction sense, or other abilities that make it easy to traverse those areas, but may not wish to make that sort of thing known.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 26, 2014, 03:13:34 PM
Quote from: James de Monet on August 26, 2014, 03:08:55 PM
Off the cuff, it would be great if the position flag told you if you were mounted.

You can already flag yourself to say what mount you're riding, or none. It's what I use to keep myself notified. It IS long, though.

I use this one with every outdoorsy character.  But yes, it can be long. 

As a suggestion, since we can name mounts, can we change "riding: a glossy-shelled, purple-embroidered, two-headed, smoky-grey beetle wearing a gaj-decorated chalton hide saddle" to "riding: Flash"?

Or better yet, "mounted" "not mounted"

Boom.

Did someone already suggest a "fighting/not fighting" flag? It would be useful in a spam-heavy setting where you might be rescued and knocked out of the fight.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 14, 2014, 05:38:37 PM
Did someone already suggest a "fighting/not fighting" flag? It would be useful in a spam-heavy setting where you might be rescued and knocked out of the fight.

I believe %s, (your current position) will show
fighting: so and so
if you're in combat, and standing (sitting, etc.) otherwise.  A flag version of this (maybe [fighting], which only appears if you're in combat) would be great.

Addendum: I have %A/%s in my prompt, and have my client set to warn me if it ever sees the string "unarmed/fighting".  A flag that shows "[unarmed]" if (and only if) you're simultaneously unarmed and fighting would also be great.

Obviously far from necessary, but wouldn't it be kind of cool to be able to have the number of people logged in display in the prompt? Especially during an HRPT.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

*puts on his conical star and moon necromancer's cap*

Hooded status.  Might say 'hooded' if you're hooded, 'veiled' if you're facewrapped, and 'exposed' if neither.

I dig this!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

A prompt for obvious magickal effects, like if you're walking around on goddamn fire and you accidentally don't notice.

Prompt token for mercy on/off please. Also for active opponent's health?