IC, OOC, and Sharing Past Experiences.

Started by RogueGunslinger, November 26, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

Yeh, that's reasonable.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

November 26, 2013, 11:40:07 PM #26 Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:45:10 PM by Twilight
Quote from: Kronibas on November 26, 2013, 09:41:27 PM
Quote from: ShaLeah on November 26, 2013, 04:34:11 PM
I haven't been to an APM (official or not) where people don't discuss the game and past characters.

Yeah... like multiple staffers and the boss of the entire game, at least in one instance.  Which was enriching.  Not jarring.

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.  

And is probably mostly irrelevant now as that one was 10+ years ago, with pretty much an entirely different staff and there was not the foresight to have all other APMs in the same location so that they would also fall under this rule.

I think that sharing serves an important purpose, beyond being entertaining and fostering a sense of community, in serving as inspiration.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

November 27, 2013, 12:13:29 AM #27 Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:16:08 AM by Kronibas
Quote from: Twilight on November 26, 2013, 11:40:07 PM
I think that sharing serves an important purpose, beyond being entertaining and fostering a sense of community, in serving as inspiration.

You worded that nicely, and for sure.  Back then, I remember being dumbstruck - like, in slack-jawed awe - at old players (or stories from staff when they were players/avatars) telling stories that almost no one would be able to learn, ICly and likely even OOCly, too.  

I would really like to have something similar to this with current staff and players.  Nyr, I promise i won't punch you.

The lack of closure is something that bothers me greatly with past exploits with Armageddon.

There are 2-3 characters that either vanished or were supposedly killed by something or someone but nobody knows who or what.  These have happened over a year ago(2-3) and I have always wondered.  These sorts of things I would truly love to discuss with someone in private without violating some sort of rules.

My opinion is this:  There are going to be people who are breaking the rules regardless of what they might be.  These people will use OOC communication to, well, communicate about the game and share their characters, information freely, and do really what they want.  There are also going to be people like myself who know things about currently living characters from past characters and do not use any of that information when playing that new character.  If we are somehow able to manage to do this without having horrible situations crop up all the time then I think I should probably be able to be like, "Hey, Amos, how DID you die?  Because, it has been KILLING me to know this for about three years now.  You don't even have to be specific, just a brief summary and I'll sleep better at night on those random days of Armageddon that cause me to think about the past."

I think we as a community can handle it.

Where's that story about the sorcerer pretending to be somebody else being found out because somebody blabbed that they died? I think it's appropriate to this thread.

I think it's good to share, it's a game about telling stories after all. I just personally can't stand to hear present or recent IC events (which no one is arguing for, anyway) and speculations about code mechanics.

It's sort of sad how some things have fallen into the dustbin of Arm history due to the secrecy. Then again, letting some things fade away provides the staff and players with more freedom to retcon and re-imagine things, which I think is important in a game where we aren't adding new areas and cultures and so on willy-nilly. It would be a real shame if staff and players were forever constrained by something obscure that very few know about that some staffer put into the game back in 2002 or whatever. On the other hand, I think a lot of the goodness of Arm comes from the limitations and persistence involved in all of it. It's pretty complicated.

On a more personal note, excited discussions about Arm with my wife encouraged me to log in after a pretty lengthy hiatus. I still can't play the game enough for it to be the Ultimate in Fun as it used to be for me, but reminiscing about the good ol' days has always been a sure-fire way to get me to log back in and give it another go. The staff have taken good measures in the past few years to make the game more accessible for casually-playing older players like myself. I think completely squelching talk of past characters and IC events on the GDB would be harmful for the community and player retention. I'm sure there will be a middle ground found, and I'm sort of intrigued by a subforum for such stories/submissions, though not locked by karma.

A big problem is figuring out where that "this is too sekret, this is too IC, etc" line is. As someone already mentioned, some people's idea of common knowledge is very different than that of others.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2013, 09:47:29 AM
Where's that story about the sorcerer pretending to be somebody else being found out because somebody blabbed that they died? I think it's appropriate to this thread.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I will see if I can find it.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Quote from: shadeoux on November 28, 2013, 10:27:55 AM
Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2013, 09:47:29 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about. I will see if I can find it.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,5208.0.html
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

I've spent some time reading through the submissions on the main page and some of what I'm finding -does- scratch that newbie's "I wonder what is possible in this game, and I want to see awesome stuff others have done in the past" itch. Unfortunately that's not the case with most of it. While the art is great and the other, world-building submissions (songs, poems, etc) are okay from a lore perspective, there seem to be very few stories in the forms of logs, or "I was Assassin So-And-So. This is how I murdered the head of a Great Merchant House and brought <xyz> to his/her knees."

November 30, 2013, 09:12:56 AM #34 Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:15:34 AM by Barzalene
Did you read my story about Kazyn? That was based on a real pc. Not mine, but a real pc all the same. In fact everything except the two main characters of my story happened to real pcs!

And now I feel creepy for hawking my work :(

But I guess not enough to erase the post!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."