Idea: Carry command

Started by Bast, November 18, 2013, 11:47:58 AM

Every time my PC is too drunk to walk down the street and a friend has to subdue them to get them home I wish we had carry command. Especially when we pass other PCS who assume my PC is being kidnapped and run up to make sure thats not the case  :P
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

I like this idea.

That said, we could. Destroy the drunk falling down code like the crappy idea it is. And keep this idea for people who get knocked out or pass out completely drunk.

I like that there is a coded impairment. I don't feel particularly attached to THIS coded impairment but there should be something that happens that creates a handicap.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

The carry idea I like, by the way.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I like it.

Carry would hinder your movement like your overloaded?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

While I'm not opposed to this, I don't see how it's any different from subdue.

Also, wrong subforum!
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

well, we could either change subdue so that when it's an unconscious person being dragged, it is described as "being carried by" as opposed to the current text (which makes no sense anyway if the subduee is KOed), or we could add a new command...

but either way I +1 the idea for sure.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

The practical thing is the same. Connotation is different

Quote from: HavokBlue on November 18, 2013, 12:13:27 PM

Also, wrong subforum!

Subduing isn't carrying. It's holding. So and so is here being held by so and so. You're being dragged but are standing, think chips cuffing someone and walking them by grabbing their arms.

Carrying? Think putting someone over your shoulder and beating all their weight, or the cradling method.

The so and so man is here, he is carrying a large bag and the buxom, dwarven prostitute.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on November 18, 2013, 12:19:41 PM

Also, wrong subforum!

Subduing isn't carrying. It's holding. So and so is here being held by so and so. You're being dragged but are standing, think chips cuffing someone and walking them by grabbing their arms.

Carrying? Think putting someone over your shoulder and beating all their weight, or the cradling method.

The so and so man is here, he is carrying a large bag and the buxom, dwarven prostitute.

Dearest Shal,

Please be advised you explample is flawled.

Clearly if you have a large bag and a buxom dwarf to carry you would just put the dorf in the bag and the desc is the so and so man is carrying a large bag.

Quote from: Barzalene on November 18, 2013, 12:29:23 PM

Also, wrong subforum!

Dearest Shal,

Clearly if you have a large bag and a buxom dwarf to carry you would just put the dorf in the bag and the desc is the so and so man is carrying a large bag.

No, silly.  You'd give bag dwarf , then carry the dorf.

I like this... It would also be a neat way of say for instance carrying your lover or mate to bed or something. Should have a new nosave of nosave carry at least I think that would be a good idea.

Agreed this should have been posted in the Code Discussion Forum not the World Discussion.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: Barzalene on November 18, 2013, 11:59:51 AM
I like that there is a coded impairment. I don't feel particularly attached to THIS coded impairment but there should be something that happens that creates a handicap.
Fighting drunk has you get your ass completely handed to you.

Quote from: Bast on November 18, 2013, 11:47:58 AM
Every time my PC is too drunk to walk down the street and a friend has to subdue them to get them home I wish we had carry command. Especially when we pass other PCS who assume my PC is being kidnapped and run up to make sure thats not the case  :P
Quote from: evilcabbage on November 18, 2013, 12:41:32 PM
nosave subdue

Thank you Cap'n! We're talking in addition to subdue. Subduing implies force, grabbing, not willing and how are they supposed to know you're being carried home cause you're too Damned Dunn? Why with the carry command! And if you're passed out and someone carries you out and they ARE plotting evil deeds? Hah!

November 18, 2013, 02:22:23 PM #16 Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:25:15 PM by James de Monet
Quote from: Harmless on November 18, 2013, 12:15:33 PM
well, we could either change subdue so that when it's an unconscious person being dragged, it is described as "being carried by" as opposed to the current text (which makes no sense anyway if the subduee is KOed), or we could add a new command...

but either way I +1 the idea for sure.

If I'm a slums bouncer, and some jerk gets drunk and passes out, you think I'm going to carry him out the door all tenderly? Uh-uh. Grab ankle. Walk east.

Also, as someone who has had to basically carry someone because they were too drunk to watch where they were walking, I don't really have a problem with that code.

I like this idea for two reasons: first, as I've stated before, subdue is too prone to deadly accidents (seen it happen). Having a non-crim, non-aggressive version would be really nice, both for connotation and for safety. I think any flee attempt from carry should auto succeed, with the echo "you shake off the so-and-so man's hands" or something. And I think any attempt should auto-fail if the person doesn't have nosave subdue on (but not if they're unconscious). Second, it would be nice for RP sake: your buddy gets manhandled by a rabid gurth? I'd rather see him carried in from the sands than walking, if he's down to not looking well.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: solera on November 18, 2013, 12:35:13 PM

Also, wrong subforum!

Dearest Shal,

But then people would See!

Quote from: Barzalene on November 18, 2013, 02:22:46 PM
Quote from: solera on November 18, 2013, 12:35:13 PM

Also, wrong subforum!

Dearest Shal,

But then people would See!

Slight derail to kudos Barz's brilliance. I've always thought a large bag should carry a body. Should definitively carry a dorf. Barzalene is right.

How about a bag being made big enough to fit a living body in (and made codedly possible), so long as they are passed out, unconscious in some manner. And could be carried?

Perhaps with a chance, slight, that it would not tear the moment they came to.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on November 18, 2013, 04:05:35 PM
How about a bag being made big enough to fit a living body in (and made codedly possible), so long as they are passed out, unconscious in some manner. And could be carried?

Perhaps with a chance, slight, that it would not tear the moment they came to.

Your eyelids flutter open to reveal...
A Very Small, Dark Place [leave]
This place is very dark and scratchy. And it smells like burlap. Also, you're fairly certain that it once held dung.
A blocky piece of dark stone is here, between your knees.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

In theory then, you could also put yourself into the bag and walk about? That reminded of the flying circus gang of keep left signs, only they would be inside bags.

This could be a possibility...but only deals with impaired vision.
> steal helmet person | open head slot
> use bag person | puts bag on head slot

Would be funny though...
> peek witch's bag
... the small boy is here sucking on a lollipop and waving his hand.

I think most PCs actually wouldn't be strong enough to carry someone's full weight.

Ever tried to pick up an entire PC body, gear and all? Most often, if you can at all, you end up dragging them and half-carrying them.

I'm all for the implementation of "carry" as a command separate from subdue, for all the lovely reasons already stated by everyone.

Not so keen on body-bags, for entirely coded reasons. As someone mentioned, bodies are incredibly heavy. They're meant to be, for a number of reasons including potential abuse of their disposal. A bag designed to carry the average body would need an incredibly high stone capacity. The potential abuse of such bags for purposes outside of carrying a body make me cringe enough to not be eager to see them added. If they are, as a legendary packrat, I'll be the first to admit you can expect me to abuse them. So. Please save me from myself, have mercy.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.