Extended text limits?

Started by Cabooze, August 15, 2013, 03:34:08 AM

I can't help but be troubled more and more recently by the text limit before your texts gets truncated. I personally love writing out long emotes or bits of dialogue (sometimes combined!!), and I would just love if we could put in at least 40 more characters. I'd be absolutely delighted if it were possible for the limit to be removed all-together. Idk if anyone else feels the same way, but I'm just throwing this out there.

Quote from: Cabooze on August 15, 2013, 03:34:08 AM
I can't help but be troubled more and more recently by the text limit before your texts gets truncated. I personally love writing out long emotes or bits of dialogue (sometimes combined!!), and I would just love if we could put in at least 40 more characters. I'd be absolutely delighted if it were possible for the limit to be removed all-together. Idk if anyone else feels the same way, but I'm just throwing this out there.

I don't know about removing the limit. I used to play on a game that had no limit and people would write quarter-page emotes regularly, sometimes going as long as a third of a page. It was grand to read and I have no complaints about long emotes except for one: The response times were at least 5 minutes. Sometimes 10. Per person. Per emote. Armageddon is supposed to be very fast paced compared to most role-playing intensive environments. I've always thought that the character limit was there to enforce that.

As a note I had similar problems transferring over from the other games, but once I got in the habit of breaking up what I was doing into multiple emotes I realized that it was a lot more interactive that way. It gives other people a chance to change the flow of what you're doing, which really they should have.

It isn't something we plan to change.

Found out recently emotes are also limited. Blah.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

In a similar vein, I'd like to get more characters for ldesc.

I use it all the goddamn time and always have to edit it down to something less descriptive.

STIFLIN MAH CREATIVITAH.

Quote from: manonfire on August 15, 2013, 07:11:25 AM
In a similar vein, I'd like to get more characters for ldesc.

I use it all the goddamn time and always have to edit it down to something less descriptive.

STIFLIN MAH CREATIVITAH.

What he said.

Would also like more characters for the tdesc because I like to describe a lot of things that change on a regular basis but there is never enough space to do it properly.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

More characters for ldesc and tdesc! Yeah!

Emotes I get. You get used to it...and it helps to keep the game fast paced. I can be so quick in Arm sometimes, if a player was spending ten minutes writing out a long emote, my character would have had a full, one-sided conversation with them, brushed her hair, chatted up the bartender, got laid and left by the time they pressed enter.

I do wish, however, very strongly...that it wouldn't SEND the truncated emotes...because it's not usually possible to 'continue' them in a grammatically correct way the way it is with speech. If it could like...show you were it would hypothetically cut it off in the "truncated to" bit...then you can quickly rejig it yourself and resend. Bit of saving face. I regularly push mine to the limit and go over by a few characters.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Yes please an increase for ldesc. You can write up huge descriptions for how things are arranged in a room, but just a one liner for ldesc this makes no sense.

Longer emotes aren't really a problem because I wind up falling asleep when people take time for longer emotes when its a one on one bases. So I agree about what Maso said to some extent, I feel sorry if getting laid is that short of an experience for Maso's PC but I digress.

Truncated psi: I think it should just simply tell you its too long before truncating and sending because of the huge stun costs on psi messages.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I am very much against making an emote longer, even more against putting what you want to SAY (Krath forbid THINK) in one. You do get used to it, and learn how to use the say/tell/whisper commands with emotes as well. I remember the emote system kicking my ass when I first came to Arm and then kicking my ass again when I came back.

BUT!

Quote from: Maso on August 15, 2013, 09:49:48 AM
More characters for ldesc and tdesc! Yeah!
I do wish, however, very strongly...that it wouldn't SEND the truncated emotes.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

emotes: No.  A max-sized emote is already cumbersome to read.  Splitting emotes up is pretty trivial anyway.

speech: Also no.  I think forcing breaks in your character's speech is important to both encourage accompanying command emotes and giving other characters a chance to interject.

tdesc: I thought the limit for tdesc was already pretty big.  Isn't it like... the same size as an mdesc?

ldesc: I think the point of the ldesc limit is to keep them on one line, and I agree with that notion.

text editor: I really wish we could ditch the text size limit within the text editor.  The fact that we haven't, though, suggests that the size check happens very early in the client->mud input process, before the game even knows what command you've typed, which means it's probably not easy to change.

Quote from: ShaLeah on August 15, 2013, 10:23:30 AM
Quote from: Maso on August 15, 2013, 09:49:48 AM
I do wish, however, very strongly...that it wouldn't SEND the truncated emotes.
+1 or at least this should be an option.

An option! Yes, an option NOT to send truncated emotes...

also, an option not to send empty says.

say (looking deviously about)

You say, looking deviiously about, in Sirihish:
""

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Yes!  That would also help out for those times you miss the closing ')' on your say command emote.

Yes to the both the previous posts. I don't like anything getting truncated it makes things confusing. There should be just a system response stating the dreaded "Line too long!"

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 15, 2013, 04:38:20 PM
Yes to the both the previous posts. I don't like anything getting truncated it makes things confusing. There should be just a system response stating the dreaded "Line too long!"

If it doesn't tell you anything other than the line is too long, you won't know how much to cut off before it's not too long. You could, theoretically, make 3, 4, 10 attempts in manually truncating your line, before it's short enough to fit.

I'd rather it stay exactly the way it is, however awkward, than to have to keep trying to spit out a single long emote.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

It could still tell you where the cutoff is without sending it...

I meant it would show YOU the truncated version, so you could see where it was getting cut off...just not anybody else.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Eh. I'm fine the way it is now. Even when I was playing a bard my emotes and tells and sings and recitations weren't usually too long. You could just change your buffer size, so that when you get to the last character of your buffer, you're at the character limit of the input. That's more or less what I do now.

Doesn't the character limit include sdescs? So if you are targeting one more PC's/objects there would be a large discrepancy between what was in your input line and the characters to actually be printed in game...

Quote from: Maso on August 15, 2013, 07:31:20 PM
Doesn't the character limit include sdescs? So if you are targeting one more PC's/objects there would be a large discrepancy between what was in your input line and the characters to actually be printed in game...

I never really paid that much attention to what it does and doesn't include. I just know that if I type a 2-line emote/tell/whatever, it'll always go through. If it gets to the third line, I run the risk of it being too long, and if I've typed to the end of the third line, it's definitely too long and I should expect it to be truncated.

Ever since change ldesc was put in, I've always found it difficult to fit what I want in there.  If anything is increased, please make it the ldesc limit!
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Arrange has a longer limit than ldesc. That, I always found odd.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on August 16, 2013, 02:11:30 AM
Arrange has a longer limit than ldesc. That, I always found odd.

+1

I really don't want to read 500 word emotes.  This is Armageddon, and it just makes sense to post smaller bits of information about what your character is doing and sometimes it already takes people long enough to respond back(creativity + typing speed, no hate here... just saying).  I can't imagine waiting for someone to type an epic emote only to have the circumstances of that emote change because Amos left the bar, an elf stole something, Templars entered the Tavern and everyone stood from a bar and bowed, only to have that epic word emote fall flat because ~Amos is not there anymore, and you just spoke to yourself at an empty bar.

I think you can express things well enough by just splitting emotes into multiple ones.

August 20, 2013, 10:13:44 AM #24 Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:29:03 PM by Barzalene
I agree with Aretex. I think 10 more characters in an ldesc would be neat.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."