Extended text limits?

Started by Cabooze, August 15, 2013, 03:34:08 AM

change ldesc takes into account your character's sdesc when you use it.

The more you know.

I know, but the limit is still far less than arrange.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I think the whole reason behind this is because it could get quite confusing if you have more than a one line ldesc. Especially if you're in an area where lots of PCs have more than a one line ldesc.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Yeh, I always want to stick a ton of shit into ldesc, but no, it shouldn't be changed. Arrange should. Arrange should be forced to follow the same 80- char guideline as ldesc is.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 20, 2013, 05:51:10 PM
Yeh, I always want to stick a ton of shit into ldesc, but no, it shouldn't be changed. Arrange should. Arrange should be forced to follow the same 80- char guideline as ldesc is.

I disagree. 80 characters is the line max for the sdesc of an item, not 35. Until that changes, I don't think that this would be better, because if you put 80 characters, with some items you'd never be able to arrange them to do anything because of the length of the sdesc of the item.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

... really? I didn't know that item sdesc could be that long. In that case, yeh, agreed.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 15, 2013, 01:55:40 PM
tdesc: I thought the limit for tdesc was already pretty big.  Isn't it like... the same size as an mdesc?

No, not even close.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Yeah, I think it winds up being about 4-5 lines if I recall right. I have personally had a mdesc that was about 30 lines with one character.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

tdesc:  Text Editor: (320 character maximum) [create mode]

mdesc:  Text Editor: (2000 character maximum) [create mode]

ldesc:  Maximum ldesc length is 79 characters.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

79 character limit for ldesc includes your sdesc, correct?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I find this character counter handy for my notebook scribble when I'm writing an arrange description.
http://allworldphone.com/count-words-characters.htm

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 22, 2013, 03:34:43 AM

Yes.  So if I app the fat red man (15 characters), 64 characters remain to create interesting long descriptions with (with or without a cloak/veil/etc).
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on August 22, 2013, 06:11:25 PM

Yes.  So if I app the fat red man (15 characters), 64 characters remain to create interesting long descriptions with (with or without a cloak/veil/etc).

Right and if you're wearing a cloak and the hood is up this could make the amount of characters increase.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 22, 2013, 06:46:31 PM

Right and if you're wearing a cloak and the hood is up this could make the amount of characters increase.

Worn items that change a character's sdesc will not change the number of characters.  If the fat red man raises the hood of his cloak with a lenghtly sdesc, there will still be 64 characters available when creating an ldesc.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on August 22, 2013, 06:58:14 PM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 22, 2013, 06:46:31 PM

Worn items that change a character's sdesc will not change the number of characters.  If the fat red man raises the hood of his cloak with a lenghtly sdesc, there will still be 64 characters available when creating an ldesc.

This makes me think that it works much like doing an emote with many ~, % or =names. It makes your emote much longer but doesnt truncate like it usually would by typing it all out without the commands.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 20, 2013, 05:51:10 PM

I don't see what the issue is with having these go say 2 lines max instead of one 80-character line.  If it's a matter of line spam, it's relatively rare that there's either a whole lot of things that have been arranged in a room (unless it's your apartment and you're crazy about that), or there's a lot of characters that have changed their ldescs all in the same room.

If this is an issue for people, maybe something like brief ldesc or brief arrange (or brief desc to cover both) could be implemented and your view would omit any PC-edited ldesc/arrange.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Just curious here. What number is the character limit on emotes? Also, does an emote within a say eat up the character limit on what you can say?  Furthermore, what is the say/whisper/tell character limit? Lastly, am I correct to assume that when limitations are considered, it uses the final output, not what you type in? As in, does it count five (or would it be four?) towards the limit on an emote with %amos, or does it count the x number of characters in his short desc that will be displayed in the final output for all to see?

ArmageddonMUD not ArmageddonMUSH.

I like the current limitations personally. If it takes you a paragraph to describe what your character is doing or saying, you're either being too descriptive over a single action, or you're describing several successive actions and thereby not fairly giving the other players time to respond to the first one. You just gotta take your turn with these things. And that means less text. Nothing's stopping you from being descriptive, just do it throughout several emotes/says/etc. Besides, Shakespeare said it best: brevity is the soul of wit. The limited number of characters allowed isn't stifling your creativity, it's encouraging it.