Raw data

Total new accounts created:  408
Duplicates (created multiple accounts out of confusion?)f: 2
New accounts minus the above: 406

Where people came from

(noteworthy results mentioned)

Topmudsites:  75
Themudconnector:  133
Google:  55 (note that these can probably be attributed to either TMS or TMC)
Search/web:  20 (these also can probably be attributed to either TMS or TMC)
Friends/other players/family/co-workers:  34
Reddit:  7
Web articles:  1
Random forums:  7
--some overlap from TMS and TMC forums here
TVtropes:  2 (still!)

Miscellaneous funnier or "odd" ones:
the dark alley in Chinatown
Achaea (2 players)
yahoo (apparently it is still a search engine)

Summary

A little copypasta below from last month's post:

Another interesting metric to point out is our new accounts numbers for the year.  This post details how we did in 2012 (and this one goes over account stats for the past 4 years).  To recap that below:

2009 -- 1481
2010 -- 1865
2011 -- 1325
2012 -- 1631

2013 data for new accounts (compiled from various sources):
January (83), February (123), March (235), April (457), May (491), June (464), July (406)
2013 total (so far) -- 2259

We've broken the record for most new accounts for any given year, and the year's not over!  Woo!

Out of that 406, 83 actually created a character and logged time in the game.

Player Retention

More copypasta.

I mentioned that the best way to determine real player retention would be to see who did the following:

started playing in x month
is still playing THIS month

To recap, our stats from 2010, 2011, and 2012:

Excluding new staff accounts

January:  1
February:  1
March:  2
April:  3
May:  7
June:  5
July:  3
August:  1
September:  1
October:  2
November:  4
December:  4

2010 Total:  34

January:  2
February:  2
March:  0
April:  5
May:  1
June:  5
July:  2
August:  2
September:  1
October:  3
November:  3
December:  1

2011 Total:

January:  4
February:  3
March:  5
April:  7
May:  2
June:  2
July:  1
August:  3
September:  2
October:  1
November:  6
December:  4

2012 Total:  40

I also mentioned that this year would be skewed due to the database issue we had which would've wiped records from 1/23 to 3/28.  Even with that, here's what we have for 2013.

January: 2 (missing 8 days of that month's data)
February:  0 (missing all of that month's data)
March:  1 (missing 27 days of that month's data)
April:  9
May:  6
June:  8

2013 Total so far:  26

I'm being a bit conservative with the above June numbers because there are a handful of players that had a lot of playtime in July, originally from June, but didn't play at the end of the month.

We're still on a path to increase retention and total playerbase size by a sizable percentage over last year.  If we assume even just 6 players stick per month from now on, we'll end up with retention of about 60 players this year, 50% higher than 2012.

This Month's Players

More copypasta.  The numbers are new though.

5-6 hours of playtime or less:  63
--Ok, good.  We can find out what is turning off the players that have spent that much time in the game.  A few minutes?  They probably didn't intend to do more than look around.  A few hours?  Something must have occurred, no?  Or something didn't occur.

6+ hours of playtime:  20
--Ok, good.  From this, we can find out who got turned off AFTER putting in a significant time investment, but before being hooked.  Perfect.  So who's hooked this month--at least, so far?

Of the remaining 20 players, I narrowed down who was still logging in as recently as 5 days ago (technically I'm starting from the 25th forward).  That gets us 11 players.  Awesome stuff!

If you're a new player from this month and you're in the categories mentioned above, feel free to chime in here or elsewhere on the forums if you haven't already!  We'd love to hear from you.  What almost turned you off to the game?  What has hooked you?  Were you crazy enough to try Armageddon for the first time during an HRPT?  If so, how confusing and/or problematic was it for you?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Hi Nyr,

I'm not quite a new player this month - I definitely would categorize myself as a new player. I've had an account for at least a year, but possibly still have under a day of playtime under my belt as I commonly log on, try to get used to the commands before I starve, and log off after inefficiently tumbling about. I love the ideas behind Armageddon and seriously adore the setting, but have a lot of difficulty with becoming adjusted to the system. As I play other Dikumuds, I feel as if I might be better off than others and suffering a detriment as well. I'm not new to roleplaying and feel like I have something to offer in terms of collaborative story writing. I simply have difficulty with following quick succession of information (poses, room description spam), and the lack of color makes organizing this information for me to coherently read quite difficult.

I recall that my first character wandered about and died, and I believe that I had problems trying to figure out whether other players were around (those deceptive NPCs), but now that I've become used to it, I actually really like the number of NPCs that I can't discern from players at a basic glance. And even though when I found players later I had a hard time finding ways to connect and get 'buy in'. Later, when I went to another area, I found people who could clearly tell I was new to the code and they elegantly helped out in an IC fashion.

In any case, I think the first issue I can share would be steep learning curve in terms of code, and the lack of color seriously exacerbated (exacerbates? present tense?) that for me. I have a couple other friends from muds who I have tried to excitedly pull over, but they've said they just can't do the lack of color.

Even coloring objects one color and npcs/characters another, with a highlight on room titles and another color on directions would be incredible. My attempts to color trigger clientside... have been a mess.

In the end, I keep coming back and trying because I want to be able to play. It's a beautiful game, untouchable by the others I play in terms of breadth and (I feel as if I'm guessing correctly) depth.

i'm a new player, i literally joined a few days ago and for the most part the game seems so so interesting that it's hard to not want to play it, even though i have problems cause of my lack of experience with RP, the difference in language (i speak spanish) and specially emoting which confuses me to no end, i also agree with Omn, it's really hard for me to keep up with all the text i get at times, and a little color might make it easier.

Would it help if we offered a download link for MUSHclient packaged with a worldfile and color triggers? If so, I could probably swing that. I know Agent137 has a great infobar script for MUSHclient already (personally I can't live without it) and I'm pretty sure there is a color file for zMud floating around. Perhaps we could gather all of these resources in one central location so new players who miss colors can take advantage.

Quote from: Delirium on July 31, 2013, 01:04:43 PM
Would it help if we offered a download link for MUSHclient packaged with a worldfile and color triggers? If so, I could probably swing that. I know Agent137 has a great infobar script for MUSHclient already (personally I can't live without it) and I'm pretty sure there is a color file for zMud floating around. Perhaps we could gather all of these resources in one central location so new players who miss colors can take advantage.

That would be great!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Alright, I'll work on that tonight.

Nyr,

I was wondering, can you tell how many new players came up as a possible result of the announcements of the HRPT?

New players that have replied,

Though I find that in the beginning the room descriptions are quite helpful, after a while they become too much. There is a command brief room that will turn off the descriptions. From what I've read in the Code forum it is in the works that this command (when enabled) will allow you to only see PCs and NPCs in the room when you walk into it, then doing a look will show you the description as well as the PCs and NPCs. I'm not sure when this is getting coded. I was wondering if this would be helpful.

Welcome to Armageddon new players I hope you enjoy it.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Would be great if something like this could be done on other clients as well. Anyone know if there's anything out there for Mudlet?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

it would most definitely help! i was just thinking this as i saw a MUSHClient modify for another Mud and i thougth it was really cool, it doesn't have to go that far, but a list of useful resources for us newbies would really help

i'm also trying to figure out how to make some kind of mapping in MUSHclient or mudlet, but no luck there

I bet people have done impressive workarounds with color triggers; I'd love to get access to them and see how they work. In my hack-job triggers I find it confusing when they pick up all of the same word in roomdescs and emotes.

I'm not sure if it was a part of the Arm 3.0 overhaul I read about, but has it ever been considered game-side to have a toggle to color objects, room titles and npcs/characters? I don't know if that represents a massive endeavor, but I assume since it hasn't happened in the past twenty years that it's something that wasn't desirable to staff for whichever reason.

There's a thread somewhere on it, where there's a massive package of color triggers somewhere I downloaded. I can't even recall, but it was awesome, and it even goes through and colors world-specific words, and has so many varied colors, but they're very interesting and nicely placed.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

July 31, 2013, 03:25:56 PM #11 Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:28:14 PM by Delirium
If you can remember any specifics or link me the thread that'd be a great help, I'll try to compile a list of resources and hopefully there will be something for most tastes. Not everyone is going to want tons of color, for example I tend to go pretty light on it, with just enough to help me pick stuff out when scenes roll by quickly.

edit: derp phone

My MUD terminal is green on cyan. I use a really old UNIX mud client called tinyfugue. I'm almost 100% sure its not maintained much anymore. I tweaked a few lines just to get it to build on my mac.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Green on cyan. How are you not blind?? :o

July 31, 2013, 04:36:41 PM #14 Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:39:01 PM by janeshephard
Quote from: Delirium on July 31, 2013, 04:00:55 PM
Green on cyan. How are you not blind?? :o

Looks fine to me :)

EDIT: It's better than white on black or black on white. Lots of horrid terminal windows out there.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Okay that's more like green on dark blue though :D

Sorry for the derail!

Quote from: janeshephard on July 31, 2013, 04:36:41 PM

EDIT: It's better than white on black or black on white. Lots of horrid terminal windows out there.

oh wow, i'll keep my white on black thanks.. i'm kind of fond of my eyes

Quote from: Tamago on August 01, 2013, 01:38:40 AM
Quote from: janeshephard on July 31, 2013, 04:36:41 PM

oh wow, i'll keep my white on black thanks.. i'm kind of fond of my eyes

White on black is my preferred setting. Or even off white on black. I then do commands in a medium green. At least Mudlet allows you to do that.

I have seen green on black
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

You damn kids and your "options".

*has to use telnet from work*

Nyr is going to kill me for such a massive derail :(

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 01, 2013, 07:06:19 AM

Don't you WORK at work?

I feel for you, I use Linux and before the very nice Barsook turned me to using Mudlet I used to use the terminal prompt. I kept saying things all weird not being able to fix my spelling mistakes and everything because I would type in a little bit and they the screen would scroll and I would forget where I was in my sentence. I learned to type a lot quicker than I already do and use very short answers. I swear I think people thought my character was stupid because he was very good at one word tells.

I would sure like to figure out how to retain more of those new accounts.  There has to be a reason that so few stay, beyond the lack of color.

How hard would it be to include color in the code, which we could simply toggle off if we didn't want to use it?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 01, 2013, 10:06:47 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 01, 2013, 07:06:19 AM

Don't you WORK at work?

I feel for you, I use Linux and before the very nice Barsook turned me to using Mudlet I used to use the terminal prompt. I kept saying things all weird not being able to fix my spelling mistakes and everything because I would type in a little bit and they the screen would scroll and I would forget where I was in my sentence. I learned to type a lot quicker than I already do and use very short answers. I swear I think people thought my character was stupid because he was very good at one word tells.

Couldn't you use MUSHClient as a portable app?

(and *blushes*)
Fredd-

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 01, 2013, 11:28:17 AM
I would sure like to figure out how to retain more of those new accounts.  There has to be a reason that so few stay, beyond the lack of color.

How hard would it be to include color in the code, which we could simply toggle off if we didn't want to use it?

+1

These games are niche games, right?
Fredd-

As long as there was some opt in opt out option, it might be worth doing
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I'm still pretty new. Joined in May. Came from an IRE game. Learned basic use of Mudlet there so I can add triggers and help myself out here.

If I hadn't picked up tips on highlighting certain things, known what to do to help myself to get other things to flash back at me, I might have just stalked off a while ago. I have memorized small areas to walk around, but get lost so easily. I would dearly love maps that are not text or help with the mapper. Downloadable maps or just graphic maps on the website? Would be so sweet. They don't have to be too specific for wilderness areas, just an overview, but cities should be laid out by street.

Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

I think the real problem is part of what I saw being talked about was different colors to identify PCs from NPCs. This is completely a hack and slash MUD type philosophy. On Arm you should treat everyone you see as a PC and just assume they are ignoring you if they don't respond. This is just a personal thought here. Honestly I think coloring NPCs differently would take away from the RP immersion.

On the other hand I do see how coloring things would be more delightful. You have a blue rug in you're apartment, maybe color the rug blue. I saw somewhere that someone had gone to a lot of trouble coloring the different wildlife as they should be colored by using scripts or what not for a client, I think it was the one Lizzie mentioned. I think this would add to the realism. I simply do not like the idea of coloring NPC different just so they stick out.

If color were to go in I suggest that it were limited to highlighting room descriptions, certain types of mobs and travel echoes. (Or some other combination based on highlighting for clarity)
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on August 01, 2013, 12:57:15 PM
If color were to go in I suggest that it were limited to highlighting room descriptions, certain types of mobs and travel echoes. (Or some other combination based on highlighting for clarity)
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on August 01, 2013, 01:00:55 PM
Quote from: Barzalene on August 01, 2013, 12:57:15 PM
Exactly this. I didn't mean npcs and whatnot. But even this little bit would help. There could be a newbie option to color pcs and npcs differently even.  If we keep players because they can tell a pc from and npc, I'm not honestly sure I care.

Nyr,

Is there a way to break down retention data by lead? E.g. 234 new accounts from TMC = 3 retained players (or whatever). Would be good to see if different sources provide different value leads.

Also, yay for Reddit.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on August 01, 2013, 01:57:20 PM
Nyr,

Is there a way to break down retention data by lead? E.g. 234 new accounts from TMC = 3 retained players (or whatever). Would be good to see if different sources provide different value leads.

+1
Fredd-

Quote from: Maso on August 01, 2013, 01:57:20 PM
Nyr,

Also, yay for Reddit.

Definitely, I can pull this up.

June players mentioned above:  8

All have played in the past week.
Website update, renewed interest in GDB, encouraging post from Gimfalisette:  1
From a friend:  1
The nethack friend:  1
Mudconnect:  4
Topmudsites:  1

So three from friends, four from mudconnect, one from topmudsites.

Go Mudconnect!

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on August 01, 2013, 02:22:05 PM
Go Mudconnect!
VOTE Mudcoonect!

Quote from: WithSprinkles on August 01, 2013, 12:07:10 PM
I'm still pretty new. Joined in May. Came from an IRE game. Learned basic use of Mudlet there so I can add triggers and help myself out here.

If I hadn't picked up tips on highlighting certain things, known what to do to help myself to get other things to flash back at me, I might have just stalked off a while ago. I have memorized small areas to walk around, but get lost so easily. I would dearly love maps that are not text or help with the mapper. Downloadable maps or just graphic maps on the website? Would be so sweet. They don't have to be too specific for wilderness areas, just an overview, but cities should be laid out by street.

help map tuluk
help map allanak

In game give you brief maps of Allanak and Tuluk.

There used to be a Known World map on the website but now its gone. It layed out the basics of of the land.

Here's the helpfiles I pointed out:

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Map%20Allanak

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Map%20Tuluk

Would be nice if those players told us why they are staying in the game.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on August 01, 2013, 05:09:07 PM
Would be nice if those players told us why they are staying in the game.

Cause it's awesome!

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 01, 2013, 12:37:13 PM
I think the real problem is part of what I saw being talked about was different colors to identify PCs from NPCs. This is completely a hack and slash MUD type philosophy. On Arm you should treat everyone you see as a PC and just assume they are ignoring you if they don't respond. This is just a personal thought here. Honestly I think coloring NPCs differently would take away from the RP immersion.

On the other hand I do see how coloring things would be more delightful. You have a blue rug in you're apartment, maybe color the rug blue. I saw somewhere that someone had gone to a lot of trouble coloring the different wildlife as they should be colored by using scripts or what not for a client, I think it was the one Lizzie mentioned. I think this would add to the realism. I simply do not like the idea of coloring NPC different just so they stick out.

I don't think coloring the NPCs different than the players is the reason why people want colors at all. Well, at least me. I just want all objects a certain color, and then the titles of rooms and their exits a certain color, and then PCs/NPCs another. Stuff like colored rugs or items would get too bling for me, too confusing (and is simple to program in client-side, as the other stuff I've mentioned seems far less so). The only reason I want color is to be able to categorize information at a glance while it's passing by rapidly.

In terms of why I'm staying: the universe is beautiful and rich, the politics are deep, I love the setting.

Quote from: Omn on August 01, 2013, 05:30:33 PM
In terms of why I'm staying: the universe is beautiful and rich, the politics are deep, I love the setting.

This. This is exactly what makes Arm so special.

I tHink it's really important to remember that in today's world, to succeed we have to adapt. Us vets love this the way it is but with so many options now we have got to cater a little bit.  I wish we had hundreds of players online all the time. So do most of you.  With options to turn off features we don't like I can't see how informative color could hurt anyone.

Quote from: Maso on August 01, 2013, 05:42:27 PM
Quote from: Omn on August 01, 2013, 05:30:33 PM

This. This is exactly what makes Arm so special.

Agreed.
Fredd-

Colour. Honestly not a bad idea. It was the one thing that put me off trying Arm for a long time. I played on Harshlands and Forevers End ( same code base) where mobs ( both PC and NPC) were one colour. Items were another colour, room names were one colour more and everything else was default. Really helped taking in a room at a glance.

Arm with its intimidating wall of white (for me) put me off and if I hadn't fallen in with a good group in occupied Tuluk I probably never would have looked past it, very sadly.

A lot of that depends on how convoluted Arms code is these days. But I certainly don't think it would hurt the game.

I would absolutely despise full color....but I can totally see that it works for some people and if it's really putting a ton of people off....then having it in the game and having an option to toggle it on or off makes sense.

It's great that people have provided scripts and color setups etc etc, but that's just another step that a new player has to take, and it might be stuff that isn't compatible with their desired client or it could be something they don't know how to use/implement (causing frustration).

It would probably be a big job staff side though?

How many text-based games are just one color on one color, anyways?
Fredd-

August 01, 2013, 06:45:04 PM #48 Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:53:46 PM by Omn
My dream:

I tried out a few color combinations, but this one feels the least offensive. Titles in bright white, description in light grey/normal, objects in dark red, NPCs and PCs in dark purple, prompt in light black. It leaves all the really bright and gaudy colors to be saved for people client side, or if color goes to combat, to highlight attacks on you/people dying/so forth.

Even just this to start would mean the world.

The dark purple and red are way to dark, I can't read them. :p

Shades of grey!

Multiple options!

H&S Full Crazy Color Mode

Muted, for the old timers who want a bit of color

Shades of grey, for me

No color, for the grumpy vets.

In any case, if there were system-side colors one could easily make client-side changes (on most clients I can think of). Lighten up all purple text, make it cyan, etc. One toggle for color would do, then people could modify said colors.

geez you guys I'm workin' on it :P

Quick GDB poll though: I have been playing on a light tan background with black text, and reasonably Armspecific colors for highlighted information.

Would you like to see that, or would you prefer black background with light text, or.... both??

Light text on dark background!

Quote from: Cendell on August 01, 2013, 06:04:52 PM

A lot of that depends on how convoluted Arms code is these days. But I certainly don't think it would hurt the game.

This is the only mud where most of the code makes sense -- in terms of user input. I think group combat needs love but otherwise it's quiet complete.

Quote from: Delirium on August 01, 2013, 07:13:36 PM

Quick GDB poll though: I have been playing on a light tan background with black text, and reasonably Armspecific colors for highlighted information.

Would you like to see that, or would you prefer black background with light text, or.... both??

Ever since I switched to a Cyan background with Yellow text my eyes have felt great, even after extended periods of play.

That said I imagine most people would just want the standard white on black.

I do an antique white with a brown text so dark it looks white. I kind of like that. But I have a feeling that most people prefer the more traditional dark background white text.

I don't think it has to do with lack of colors. I know I got used to it and now find color excessive. I think the problem might be lack of interaction for those that log usually off peak. That has happened to me and the game becomes quite hard without interaction. Knowing that you have a very good chance to die very easily or get lost in the desert and then killed by beasts or lack of food and water or perhaps raiders. A new person cannot really stand up to veterans who know the game better. My first character died very easily after he took the wrong step into the Rinth (had very little idea what it really was) I decided to read the documentation more before my second. My second did pretty well but I was unsatisfied with the concept I was playing so I stored him and went back to reading documents and the GDB. Then I made a more complex concept and tried again. The run was exhilirating and became very addictive. I think that might scare people away, there is so much to read and so much to learn IC that many people might feel it to be too much. The best way to retain people I have found is to interact with them and try to make it a memorable interaction.

Like recently I met a newbie whom obviously was at a loss of what to do. I tried as best I could to help him out IC. Another one was very polite but had no idea how to interact when a Templar was present (bow to them etc.) When I realized he was clueless I pointed out what he had to do and explained why. Also helping them get a job is also helpful in retaining players. I know I would have given up without the interaction of many players.

Quote from: IssacF on August 01, 2013, 08:11:13 PM
I think the problem might be lack of interaction for those that log usually off peak.

I believe so.  At least one of the reasons.  The massive amount of docs is another.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on August 01, 2013, 08:33:58 PM
Quote from: IssacF on August 01, 2013, 08:11:13 PM
I think the problem might be lack of interaction for those that log usually off peak.

I believe so.  At least one of the reasons.  The massive amount of docs is another.

It is. Many people mught be used to the other two popular MUDs (Aard and Achaea)

In all honesty Aard sucks big time. I have no idea how anyone likes that game. Its just like a non RP MMO (and there are many) but in text. Sorry I'd rather play an MMO, at least I get some graphics.

Achaea is nice. Sadly it relies heavily on micro transactions. And I should know, I played a very competent combat priest. And [insert religious god you follow] FORBID you even attempt to fight without a system and hundreds of cures.

What I like about Arm? it's a lot more balanced. To watch my character fight at the level of hardened veterans was exilirating. And furthermore I don't need to be a combatant to enjoy the game. I can be a whore or a craftsman or an Aide or an assistant. Non combat roles are actually interesting because there is a lot of RP involved. Only weakness I see is when there isn't much people to interact.

Quote from: Omn on August 01, 2013, 06:45:04 PM
My dream:

I tried out a few color combinations, but this one feels the least offensive. Titles in bright white, description in light grey/normal, objects in dark red, NPCs and PCs in dark purple, prompt in light black. It leaves all the really bright and gaudy colors to be saved for people client side, or if color goes to combat, to highlight attacks on you/people dying/so forth.

No, no no no.... An NO... I would get a migraine staring at something like that for twenty minutes much less an hour.

My eyes are most comfortable with black background white or off white for main test and then the rest colored.

August 02, 2013, 04:40:37 AM #61 Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:48:35 AM by Omn
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 02, 2013, 01:06:06 AM
My dream:

No, no no no.... An NO... I would get a migraine staring at something like that for twenty minutes much less an hour.

The magic of system-side coloring is such that it's a breeze to modify so you can easily personalize it to something more palatable. I was using the standard ANSI colors available. (I'd probably tone them towards the light grey, desaturate, save bright stuff for important highlights clientside). With a toggle for classic non-color and something like this that simply divides and codes titles/objects/sentient beings separately... I honestly can't see why there's protest.

Save for if it's hard for staff or whatever.

ETA: You don't need systemside ANSI color to change your client's background color, it's as easy to shift as modifying the standard ANSI colors on your client.

My dream:

+1. Although I would probably go with a different color scheme.

Man, I can't do white text on black, my eyes start going crazy. I've been playing on dark text with light background too long...

I have to finish cleaning up all my triggers and aliases from characters/events past (IC INFOZ) and readjust the color scheme a bit as I've been meaning to. Once that's done I'll bundle it and offer it for download, and make a white text on black version as well.

I use olive on black. I think it makes it looks Arm-like

^ I had that once, I think.
Fredd-

Yeah, I've got it so it highlights pcs/npcs white in combat, and with this coloring the white is more visible.

The foreground is too dark. If it was a little lighter it might work.

I use Matrix style, green foreground on black background.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Green on black purist.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I think this is a cool take on colored text.  I'm using it at the moment, and really enjoying it.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

August 02, 2013, 04:59:38 PM #73 Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:02:15 PM by catchall
Quote from: Feco on August 02, 2013, 03:48:36 PM
I think this is a cool take on colored text.  I'm using it at the moment, and really enjoying it.

This!!!!  I wrote up similar triggers for Tintin++ (does Mushclient use Tintin++ compatible scripting?  If not, I'll happily share my tt++ color triggers with anyone using tt++ that wants it.)  It's like a whole new Arm, everything comes alive!  I'm probably missing a lot of wildlife, though, since I play mostly city PCs.  I am however, particularly proud of the grimy color I found to use for "stained."

Quote from: Feco on August 02, 2013, 03:48:36 PM
I think this is a cool take on colored text.  I'm using it at the moment, and really enjoying it.

This is the color I use, too, though I'm thinking about going in and adding a bunch of other words to trick it out, like for the elements and then other more offbeat color words that aren't in there, or the like.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.