Where players found us: July

Started by Nyr, July 31, 2013, 10:07:03 AM

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 01, 2013, 11:28:17 AM
I would sure like to figure out how to retain more of those new accounts.  There has to be a reason that so few stay, beyond the lack of color.

How hard would it be to include color in the code, which we could simply toggle off if we didn't want to use it?

+1

These games are niche games, right?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I would sure like to figure out how to retain more of those new accounts.  There has to be a reason that so few stay, beyond the lack of color.

How hard would it be to include color in the code, which we could simply toggle off if we didn't want to use it?

As long as there was some opt in opt out option, it might be worth doing
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I'm still pretty new. Joined in May. Came from an IRE game. Learned basic use of Mudlet there so I can add triggers and help myself out here.

If I hadn't picked up tips on highlighting certain things, known what to do to help myself to get other things to flash back at me, I might have just stalked off a while ago. I have memorized small areas to walk around, but get lost so easily. I would dearly love maps that are not text or help with the mapper. Downloadable maps or just graphic maps on the website? Would be so sweet. They don't have to be too specific for wilderness areas, just an overview, but cities should be laid out by street.

Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

I think the real problem is part of what I saw being talked about was different colors to identify PCs from NPCs. This is completely a hack and slash MUD type philosophy. On Arm you should treat everyone you see as a PC and just assume they are ignoring you if they don't respond. This is just a personal thought here. Honestly I think coloring NPCs differently would take away from the RP immersion.

On the other hand I do see how coloring things would be more delightful. You have a blue rug in you're apartment, maybe color the rug blue. I saw somewhere that someone had gone to a lot of trouble coloring the different wildlife as they should be colored by using scripts or what not for a client, I think it was the one Lizzie mentioned. I think this would add to the realism. I simply do not like the idea of coloring NPC different just so they stick out.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

If color were to go in I suggest that it were limited to highlighting room descriptions, certain types of mobs and travel echoes. (Or some other combination based on highlighting for clarity)
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on August 01, 2013, 12:57:15 PM
If color were to go in I suggest that it were limited to highlighting room descriptions, certain types of mobs and travel echoes. (Or some other combination based on highlighting for clarity)
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on August 01, 2013, 01:00:55 PM
Quote from: Barzalene on August 01, 2013, 12:57:15 PM
Exactly this. I didn't mean npcs and whatnot. But even this little bit would help. There could be a newbie option to color pcs and npcs differently even.  If we keep players because they can tell a pc from and npc, I'm not honestly sure I care.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Nyr,

Is there a way to break down retention data by lead? E.g. 234 new accounts from TMC = 3 retained players (or whatever). Would be good to see if different sources provide different value leads.

Also, yay for Reddit.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on August 01, 2013, 01:57:20 PM
Nyr,

Is there a way to break down retention data by lead? E.g. 234 new accounts from TMC = 3 retained players (or whatever). Would be good to see if different sources provide different value leads.

+1
Fredd-

Quote from: Maso on August 01, 2013, 01:57:20 PM
Nyr,

Also, yay for Reddit.

Definitely, I can pull this up.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

June players mentioned above:  8

All have played in the past week.
Website update, renewed interest in GDB, encouraging post from Gimfalisette:  1
From a friend:  1
The nethack friend:  1
Mudconnect:  4
Topmudsites:  1

So three from friends, four from mudconnect, one from topmudsites.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Go Mudconnect!

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on August 01, 2013, 02:22:05 PM
Go Mudconnect!
VOTE Mudcoonect!

Quote from: WithSprinkles on August 01, 2013, 12:07:10 PM
I'm still pretty new. Joined in May. Came from an IRE game. Learned basic use of Mudlet there so I can add triggers and help myself out here.

If I hadn't picked up tips on highlighting certain things, known what to do to help myself to get other things to flash back at me, I might have just stalked off a while ago. I have memorized small areas to walk around, but get lost so easily. I would dearly love maps that are not text or help with the mapper. Downloadable maps or just graphic maps on the website? Would be so sweet. They don't have to be too specific for wilderness areas, just an overview, but cities should be laid out by street.

help map tuluk
help map allanak

In game give you brief maps of Allanak and Tuluk.

There used to be a Known World map on the website but now its gone. It layed out the basics of of the land.

Here's the helpfiles I pointed out:

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Map%20Allanak

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Map%20Tuluk

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Would be nice if those players told us why they are staying in the game.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on August 01, 2013, 05:09:07 PM
Would be nice if those players told us why they are staying in the game.

Cause it's awesome!

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 01, 2013, 12:37:13 PM
I think the real problem is part of what I saw being talked about was different colors to identify PCs from NPCs. This is completely a hack and slash MUD type philosophy. On Arm you should treat everyone you see as a PC and just assume they are ignoring you if they don't respond. This is just a personal thought here. Honestly I think coloring NPCs differently would take away from the RP immersion.

On the other hand I do see how coloring things would be more delightful. You have a blue rug in you're apartment, maybe color the rug blue. I saw somewhere that someone had gone to a lot of trouble coloring the different wildlife as they should be colored by using scripts or what not for a client, I think it was the one Lizzie mentioned. I think this would add to the realism. I simply do not like the idea of coloring NPC different just so they stick out.

I don't think coloring the NPCs different than the players is the reason why people want colors at all. Well, at least me. I just want all objects a certain color, and then the titles of rooms and their exits a certain color, and then PCs/NPCs another. Stuff like colored rugs or items would get too bling for me, too confusing (and is simple to program in client-side, as the other stuff I've mentioned seems far less so). The only reason I want color is to be able to categorize information at a glance while it's passing by rapidly.

In terms of why I'm staying: the universe is beautiful and rich, the politics are deep, I love the setting.

Quote from: Omn on August 01, 2013, 05:30:33 PM
In terms of why I'm staying: the universe is beautiful and rich, the politics are deep, I love the setting.

This. This is exactly what makes Arm so special.

I tHink it's really important to remember that in today's world, to succeed we have to adapt. Us vets love this the way it is but with so many options now we have got to cater a little bit.  I wish we had hundreds of players online all the time. So do most of you.  With options to turn off features we don't like I can't see how informative color could hurt anyone.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Maso on August 01, 2013, 05:42:27 PM
Quote from: Omn on August 01, 2013, 05:30:33 PM

This. This is exactly what makes Arm so special.

Agreed.
Fredd-

Colour. Honestly not a bad idea. It was the one thing that put me off trying Arm for a long time. I played on Harshlands and Forevers End ( same code base) where mobs ( both PC and NPC) were one colour. Items were another colour, room names were one colour more and everything else was default. Really helped taking in a room at a glance.

Arm with its intimidating wall of white (for me) put me off and if I hadn't fallen in with a good group in occupied Tuluk I probably never would have looked past it, very sadly.

A lot of that depends on how convoluted Arms code is these days. But I certainly don't think it would hurt the game.

I would absolutely despise full color....but I can totally see that it works for some people and if it's really putting a ton of people off....then having it in the game and having an option to toggle it on or off makes sense.

It's great that people have provided scripts and color setups etc etc, but that's just another step that a new player has to take, and it might be stuff that isn't compatible with their desired client or it could be something they don't know how to use/implement (causing frustration).

It would probably be a big job staff side though?

How many text-based games are just one color on one color, anyways?
Fredd-

August 01, 2013, 06:45:04 PM #48 Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:53:46 PM by Omn
My dream:

I tried out a few color combinations, but this one feels the least offensive. Titles in bright white, description in light grey/normal, objects in dark red, NPCs and PCs in dark purple, prompt in light black. It leaves all the really bright and gaudy colors to be saved for people client side, or if color goes to combat, to highlight attacks on you/people dying/so forth.

Even just this to start would mean the world.

The dark purple and red are way to dark, I can't read them. :p

Shades of grey!

Multiple options!

H&S Full Crazy Color Mode

Muted, for the old timers who want a bit of color

Shades of grey, for me

No color, for the grumpy vets.