Color triggers for MUSHclient 1.0 - alters foreground text to match color words

Started by armandhammer, August 14, 2012, 09:44:31 PM

Updated 3/6/2022! Enjoy!

For those using MUSHclient (preferably with the default black background color) Zalanthas can now be viewed in blazing technicolor!

This set of color-changing triggers will not greet you with flashing lights, bells and whistles or reward you with sparkles every time you hack and slash a mob. Instead, a trigger for common color words, mineral words and (many) Zalanthas flora words change the foreground text color respectively. A list of hexadecimal color codes has been used to create a standard. Anyone is free to change any of these plugins for their own use.

What will these triggers 'send'?
They will change/send absolutely nothing save for the font color of the word in question. Now, you can see that ginka as the Dragon intended it and your jade-eyed brunette will really stand out in the crowd!

To install,
download the following .xml plugins as desired. Right clicking and saving the hyperlink works well. Keep them anywhere safe & memorable. Open the MUSHclient plugin menu (Plugins, under File menu) while Armageddon is open, then Add the .xmls. They will be enabled automatically, but you can Disable or Enable seamlessly as you like. They will not replace or alter any of your other triggers or world settings. All of them are recommended for the complete experience, but notes have been added below to help you decide which are right for you.

ColorTriggers_Basic.xml
This plugin adds functionality for basic color words; many of them. Non-Zalanthan flora words added because they are often used as descriptors.

ColorTriggers_Flora.xml
This plugin adds functionality for Zalanthan flora. These color choices were made at my discretion by reading in-game descriptions where I was able; feel free to change them or any of the included code in this project locally.

ColorTriggers_Minerals.xml
This plugin adds functionality for minerals commonly (and uncommonly) found on Zalanthas.

ColorTriggers_QuoteFix.xml
This plugin prevents text within quotations (i.e. dialog) from being altered by the other triggers. This will override your in-game ANSI setting, but not the emotive portion. You could edit the plugin to alter the default output color from 'silver' to whatever color you prefer to see between quotations. ** Unfortunately this also overrides italics/bold/underline for now so those won't show up in dialog. They will appear normally in emotes, etc. I will be replacing the plugin with a fix sometime soon.

Imagine the sights! You'll see the colors of Zalanthas like never before. This set of plugins is very helpful for getting a taste of a description at a glance, great for sorting through your inventory and storage quickly based on visual cues, and adds other benefits you will discover for yourself.

If you edit the plugins, be sure to Reinstall them via the plugin menu or changes will not update.

Things may still need work,
Let me know if you see any improvements that can be made, for example new words that are not covered or bugs that seem to be occurring.

I tried this out, it's actually gives you a good sense for color in descriptions. Pretty neat if you're bored while hunting and want to get a quick sense for the landscape as you ride along. Also interesting for when you look at people's descs and equipment. I'd say this is worth trying out if you use mushclient.

August 14, 2012, 10:40:20 PM #3 Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:45:10 PM by armandhammer
Yeah, you might notice that some things are a little quirky like that. The trigger responds to " tan", but if you wanted to copy/paste and add triggers for " tan,", " tan ", and " tan." it'd work a little more perfectly. If there's high demand, I'll go in and do that for all the short words that appear in other larger words like 'red.' For those, though, I already have them as only triggering when the R in RED has a space before it. " red", " tan", etc

Edit: Thanks for giving my efforts a chance/try, folks!

Alternatively, TheHunted, after a bit of playing around I've discovered you can add "Fixer" triggers that respond to words like "tantalizing" and "tangles", which I've been adding as I see them that respond by resetting the color to the default grey. I will do a bunch of this and repost once I've updated.

NNngh... it somehow messed with my stats....

edit: fixt.

Man this is neat!

edit: However... I do miss the particular colors for my SAY, THINK, FEEL, PSI. Can I somehow fix this?
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

August 19, 2012, 11:55:24 AM #6 Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:04:36 PM by armandhammer
QuoteHowever... I do miss the particular colors for my SAY, THINK, FEEL, PSI. Can I somehow fix this?

If you refer to the color of all text surrounded by quotes, and how it is now a slightly brighter 'grey', find the trigger that looks like this: ^     \"(.*?)\"$ (it is the only member of the 'Quotes' group), 'Edit...' it. Select the color drop-down menu in 'Change color and style,' select 'no change.' This trigger was probably interfering with other say/think/feel/psi triggers you are using. If this still doesn't work, PM me and I'll help you work it out! Thanks for giving my triggers a try!

Edit: Ah, I assume this is an incompatibility issue with Aaron Goulet's color triggers. I have had my coffee this morning, will apply his triggers to my client, try to sort this out myself!

Coffee induced 2.Edit: Aaron's file isn't hosted at the moment so that will have to wait, but in the mean time I've been adding 'Fixer' triggers all over the place and these sorts of thing don't happen as frequently: tantalizing, greenish, rose-scented. Will update soon.

I like what you've got so far, injects just enough color to be pleasing without being too distracting. I also like Aaron's speaking, psi, etc colors, if you could add something that it would be awesome. I'm no good with triggers. :p
Thank you for uploading what you've already got though, it's great. :)

Hate to necro this thread but, is there a link to this that's currently working anywhere that anyone might want to share?
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Hi, as it turns out the version I released was still a little half-baked, but I've had another little while to keep working at it.

In a few days, I can try to release what I have now after I work at removing my personal data.

This time, I'll post a personalized MUSHclient world file, so no one has to mess around with their own to get it to work.

Yay!

Hey! this is new and improved. Changes were made to the original post to detail how; it's just a MUSHclient world file now, that can be customized on a local basis..

Someone test out the new codez! Lemme know how it goes!

Well, not only was it easier to make this way, I figured it would be easier for people to try before they buy by offering a new world file.

Also I... doooon't know how to do that.

If you can/would like to handle it, I'll dropbox the plugin and offer it as an alternative download.

So, I figured that out and added it as an alternative download.

With the plugin, the triggers don't show up in your "Triggers" list so the ability to add your own or disable ones you don't like (ie the un-inspiring animals list) isn't there.. but, if there's demand, I can make a zip file of separate .xmls for the different groups of color words.

I'm interested. Still using it.

Me too, this is the first plugin I got on MUSHclient! ^.^
Your vision goes black.

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

SIG ID: $1$9UpvKn9m$/hFJYF4D15rFEPC/fDqjs1

oooooh.

I wound up logging in and out like 3 times in quick succession because my stupid butt decided to not log out while trying to install a new version of mushclient and it didn't work out so well.

Once I got this up and running... WOOT. It's -gorgeous-!
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Oooh, I like. Thank you!

P.S. I have a huge list of aliases, triggers, and variables from another client that I have been slowly through trial and error been trying to get into MushClient but I only work on it when I have the time and forethought to do so. Would you mind helping me with it? I lose the patience to do it when I put in the alias and it ends up not working and I have to play with it for way too long to figure out how to make it work.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I need this for zMud!!!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

AHhhhhhhghH how to zmud!?? Does it have a trigger system that can highlight words with color?

Quote from: i can haz mantis on June 16, 2013, 09:38:00 AM
Oooh, I like. Thank you!

P.S. I have a huge list of aliases, triggers, and variables from another client that I have been slowly through trial and error been trying to get into MushClient but I only work on it when I have the time and forethought to do so. Would you mind helping me with it? I lose the patience to do it when I put in the alias and it ends up not working and I have to play with it for way too long to figure out how to make it work.

I can help you if you like, I'm pretty MUSHclient savvy. Feel free to pm me.

Bumping this as long as it's approved by staff to necro; I recently returned to the game, will be working on updating and turning this into a series of plugins for MUSHclient that can be added/removed as needed. Eventually may expand to support other clients.

Generating interest and gathering suggestions in the meantime; I will update the original post with details soon.

This looks amazing!  Would love to try it out.  =)
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."