Certain clients are no longer getting commands through

Started by slvrmoontiger, July 06, 2013, 09:12:10 PM

Hi, just thought a post should be made for this since I haven't seen one yet. Nry mentioned that there were some coding changes being made that are causing weird things to happen with certain clients. I've found a client that works with these weird things, but saying its poor for everything else is an understatement. How many people are actually experiencing any of the following:

Commands not working?
It asking you What? When you talk or tell people things or anything else?
Any other weird stuff happening?

Staff,

Any ideas when this will be corrected? It makes things very frustrating when something that works all of a sudden stops working and makes the game unplayable..
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

input is input...

i dont see how there could be problems clientside...that just doesn't really make any sense. elaborate :o

I don't have any of those problems. I use Mushclient.

I also think you've misinterpreted what Nyr said. The issue being spoken about is not being seen by more than a couple people, from what I can tell. And is likely their problem, and not a code one.

Same, as RGS, but with mudlet.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I think the problem is some people are still using ridiculous 90s-era clients.

Get mush/mudlet already geez.

Mudlet is the client that isn't working. GGMud works but sucks. I can't even get ANSI to work on it even though they say on their opening page it supports ANSI. Mudlet has been working fine for me since Middle of June when I started working with it. It just started messing up and making the game unusable for me recently. Like last Saturday. I've tried uninstalling it wiping all my config files and reinstalling it with no change. Nothing is wrong on my end.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Login gave me the same problem as the last time people were talking about it. When you enter C for connect, you have to enter it a second time.

Other than that, I've been fine. Using Mushclient v4.73 with no autologin or scripts or triggers for logging in.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

When I tried to connect to the game just now using "Mud Client", my iPad app, absoutely none of my commands were being recognized by the game. Just FYI.

I don't have this issue at all when I login via my PC and use my normal mud app PortalGT.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

i use mudlet and have no problems

its a server issue

Quote from: Wastrel on July 06, 2013, 11:05:01 PM
i use mudlet and have no problems

its a server issue

I would have to agree with this. If it was a problem on my end no client would work. Telnet wouldn't work. Furthermore client was working fine and then everything broke. If anyone uses GGMud do you know how to enable ANSI because its not working for me.

I too have this issue. I have to press C multiple times, I have typed entire emotes to have them eaten by the game and never processed and have also had to input simple things such as nesw and i (for inventory) multiple times to get it to go through.

Quote from: Myhrrn on July 07, 2013, 12:23:41 AM
I too have this issue. I have to press C multiple times, I have typed entire emotes to have them eaten by the game and never processed and have also had to input simple things such as nesw and i (for inventory) multiple times to get it to go through.

This.

Before the fix to 'c to connect' a while back, the only time I ever had to hit C twice is if I hit it too early for the game to process it (within a split second of connection). Now, I routinely have to hit C, then hit C again for the game to process that I've entered it the first time even. I use mushclient 4.84 (I think? I had to update it to get the color plugin, but was having the same issues with both versions of mushclient).
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Right same thing here. But I've found if I type out inventory it works fine. I've found that I can try to do something like st (for stand) and it won't work multiple times, but as soon as I type stand spelled out it works fine. Flee doesn't work neither do server side aliases. Seems short stuff doesn't work but longer things do. Tells or any iteration of tell (talk, whisper, shout) works. Weather may not work but if I try to do weather n it works. Just really weird how shortened stuff stop working but longer things work fine.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 07, 2013, 12:52:08 AM

Right same thing here. But I've found if I type out inventory it works fine. I've found that I can try to do something like st (for stand) and it won't work multiple times, but as soon as I type stand spelled out it works fine. Flee doesn't work neither do server side aliases. Seems short stuff doesn't work but longer things do. Tells or any iteration of tell (talk, whisper, shout) works. Weather may not work but if I try to do weather n it works. Just really weird how shortened stuff stop working but longer things work fine.

As far as what commands it eats/etc, it tends to eat shorter ones first but I think it is just random.

www.ashavar.com

I use the client from this mud site, called ALclient, while generally basic in appearance, you can set it up to do most things through the various client commands and settings. I have no trouble at all with commands, and only occaisionally have the enter C twice problem which is something I can live with.
Life sucks, then you die.

Could be a sever issue, given that my computer at home is a different IP than my iPad. Maybe the game just isn't playing nice with cellular ISP's these days?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: hatchets on July 07, 2013, 02:13:27 AM
www.ashavar.com

I use the client from this mud site, called ALclient, while generally basic in appearance, you can set it up to do most things through the various client commands and settings. I have no trouble at all with commands, and only occaisionally have the enter C twice problem which is something I can live with.

Excellent a Linux version. I might as well give it a whirl and see how well it works for me. Thank you.

Quote from: musashi on July 07, 2013, 03:04:35 AM
Could be a sever issue, given that my computer at home is a different IP than my iPad. Maybe the game just isn't playing nice with cellular ISP's these days?
That wouldn't explain why it's happening to me sometimes - I have landline (DSL).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 06, 2013, 09:12:10 PM
Staff,

Any ideas when this will be corrected? It makes things very frustrating when something that works all of a sudden stops working and makes the game unplayable..

I am fairly certain I am aware of the issue here and this should be resolved shortly.  The real issue is has been a holiday week/weekend and resources are tight on the coder staff side!

I can go into the details if it is really needed, but suffice to say this is a server side issue and it can, randomly, effect any input into the game.  I will be sure to post when the issue should be resolved, which will take place after one of the next reboots depending on the status of a code push.

The short answer to your question is, soon! It will be resolved soon! Promise!

I'm that lucky and the only one?  These issues never seem to happen to me.  Well, only three times, but not all the time.
Fredd-

Quote from: Nathvaan on July 07, 2013, 08:57:12 AM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 06, 2013, 09:12:10 PM
Staff,

I am fairly certain I am aware of the issue here and this should be resolved shortly.  The real issue is has been a holiday week/weekend and resources are tight on the coder staff side!

I can go into the details if it is really needed, but suffice to say this is a server side issue and it can, randomly, effect any input into the game.  I will be sure to post when the issue should be resolved, which will take place after one of the next reboots depending on the status of a code push.

The short answer to your question is, soon! It will be resolved soon! Promise!

Nathvaan,

Thank you very much for your response. I completely understand that it is a holiday week/weekend. I appreciate how hard the staff works. I would be interested just on the curious side of things about what is really going on, only when you have some free time. There is no rush. Having been a programmer its just my curiousity that wants an explanation. That is something you can send me a personal mail on however, since I'm sure most of the players wouldn't really care to know. Thank you for all the hard work you and the rest of the staff put into the game.

Maybe you need to join the staff as coder, SMT. ;)
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on July 07, 2013, 11:29:28 AM
Maybe you need to join the staff as coder, SMT. ;)

Ick noooooooo. I found out years ago that programming was not for me. It stresses me out way too much. I find it boring and quite repetitive and eyes get tired quickly of just looking at line after line of code. Not thank you.

We've reverted the code that was causing this and will reboot in the morning to fix the issue.  Sorry about the delay in this and the frustration.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Although it seems like it's being resolved, I've had issues for years with MUSHclient with the 'c' command to login to the game.  Only with MUSHclient, though.

I always have to enter it 3-6 times.  Very odd.  Always assumed it was client-side.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC