Mount warfare!

Started by Doublepalli, June 23, 2013, 11:57:52 PM

Allowing you to send your mount into the next room, with aggro. Or telling your mount to attack so and so.

If your mount is aggro, expect to be its meal.

If your mount can understand your commands to attack so and so, expect that your mount is some kind of magick beasts from the planes of 'never going to happen'. And report it to the nearest templar.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on June 24, 2013, 12:52:11 AM
If your mount is aggro, expect to be its meal.

If your mount can understand your commands to attack so and so, expect that your mount is some kind of magick beasts from the planes of 'never going to happen'. And report it to the nearest templar.

Well, we train animals to do certain things. Don't see why people in Armageddon coudln't. And people and mounts form bonds IG. A tamed and close mount, woudln't aggro towards you.

The real reason is abuse, I think at one time there was a code to support this, but it was taken out as it created an unbalance.

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I'm guessing you've either never accidentally engaged a mount in combat, or you recently did and want the rest of the Known to experience the pain.

Beyond that... Your suggestion would make mounts into NPC guards, to be used as personal executioners. And even NPC guards can't be compelled to do your dirty work from a room away, and they're arguably smarter (or at least on par with mounts, in some cases).
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Quote from: Ouroboros on June 24, 2013, 12:57:57 AM
I'm guessing you've either never accidentally engaged a mount in combat, or you recently did and want the rest of the Known to experience the pain.

Beyond that... Your suggestion would make mounts into NPC guards, to be used as personal executioners. And even NPC guards can't be compelled to do your dirty work from a room away, and they're arguably smarter (or at least on par with mounts, in some cases).

I have, and it wasnt fun. Which is why we're, discussing it!

I do not think this is realistic or a good idea even if it were

Quote from: Doublepalli on June 24, 2013, 01:16:31 AM
I have, and it wasnt fun. Which is why we're, discussing it!

Subterfuge is your best bet here.

tell amos Hey man, would you mind kicking my mount for me? He won't seem to move. Just, um, yeah...KICK BEETLE, ok?
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Too exploitable.  The average indie PC could obtain 5+ mounts way too easily.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I used to play a Mud that had necromancy and demonology as abilities and could summon up massive hordes of undead and demons. And the one thing I learned from that is, they gotta be weak if you intend to allow them to do anything.

You'd have to reset the mounts to being quite weak, which would make them alot less useful in other aspects. I kinda like it the way it is now myself.
Life sucks, then you die.

We do have this: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Charge

I have also used mounts for more direct combat, but it was a little bit tricky and in a somewhat narrow circumstance.

Indeed, many mounts are quite formidable and being able to easily spur them to combat would be a powerful ability.  I'd expect it to require master riding at least, if not some other skill that's not easy to obtain, were it allowed at all.

If you want an IC explanation as to why it can't really be done, though, perhaps consider that mounts have all had most of the agression extensively trained out of them.  Otherwise they would be unamangable.

The animal people might disagree with me here, but also keep in mind that the animals we train to do things IRL are almost all mammals or birds.  And while there are mammalian mounts IG, the vast majority are insects or reptiles, which aren't known for their trainability and/or bonding ability. Getting them to wear a saddle and a bridle is probably a feat in and of itself.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on June 24, 2013, 01:54:09 PM
The animal people might disagree with me here, but also keep in mind that the animals we train to do things IRL are almost all mammals or birds.  And while there are mammalian mounts IG, the vast majority are insects or reptiles, which aren't known for their trainability and/or bonding ability. Getting them to wear a saddle and a bridle is probably a feat in and of itself.

As an animal person, I completely agree.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Potaje on June 24, 2013, 12:57:51 AM
The real reason is abuse...

Agreed. Considering the actual size of an inix, it would be like everyone getting to start with the offensive skills of a 10-day warrior, but the glass jaw of a new character.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Horses and other tamed animals don't do this, so it isn't really realistic.  Now I realize it's a fantasy world and that fire elementalists that can hurl fireballs at people don't exist in reallife, but I think that elementalists help contribute to the game setting and help enhance roleplay.  I don't see how mounts that can attack others independently of their riders enhances roleplay.  (Unless it was something that some tribe of NPCs did, that'd be different, exotic and cool).
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on June 24, 2013, 03:19:56 PM
Horses and other tamed animals don't do this, so it isn't really realistic.  Now I realize it's a fantasy world and that fire elementalists that can hurl fireballs at people don't exist in reallife, but I think that elementalists help contribute to the game setting and help enhance roleplay.  I don't see how mounts that can attack others independently of their riders enhances roleplay.  (Unless it was something that some tribe of NPCs did, that'd be different, exotic and cool).

Actually, there's some evidence to suggest horses were trained to kick and possibly even bite in combat.

Wikipedia's source is:

Gravett, Tudor Knight, pp. 29–30.

Note: Didn't read it myself, but I had heard this so I went looking for evidence. Also, I think this is a bad idea for Armageddon, despite how realistic it may or may not be.
Alea iacta est

Did the knights send the horses off to fight for them?  That's kind of what we're talking about.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

June 24, 2013, 04:05:10 PM #17 Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:08:57 PM by racurtne
Quote from: Molten Heart on June 24, 2013, 03:43:32 PM
Did the knights send the horses off to fight for them?  That's kind of what we're talking about.

Oh, no, just in the midst of a melee the mounted people likely didn't want to be caught in for any prolonged period. Sending it in? No, definitely not. But I was guessing having war beetles biting your target as you were mounted would come up if it didn't already.

Edit: Yeah, he did say something about just ordering it to attack, I guess that could mean while you are mounted.
Alea iacta est

In my limited experience, this would be, hideous. Imagine you're out there, just grebbing up salt. No warning shot or nothing, and suddenly, in from the east comes a pack of inix and beetles, clamping jaws and mandibles down on all your limbs and ripping you into quarters...

Now, maybe if your mount could be commanded to -assist- you in battle whether mounted or not (on a skill separate from riding so it wouldn't be unfair for elves), I might not be too opposed to it, might even come in quite handy, and certainly makes more sense than your mount passively watching you get ripped to shreds by horrible monsters which are just going to turn around and eat them anyway.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

A 2 ton inix is not a warhound.

That would be scary as all hell.

Why do you want to make mount(ed) combat more OP?

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Fujikoma on June 24, 2013, 05:36:25 PM
Now, maybe if your mount could be commanded to -assist- you in battle whether mounted or not (on a skill separate from riding so it wouldn't be unfair for elves), I might not be too opposed to it, might even come in quite handy, and certainly makes more sense than your mount passively watching you get ripped to shreds by horrible monsters which are just going to turn around and eat them anyway.

This would still be ridiculously powerful. Like having a 10-day dwarf-warrior friend around who's always ready to jump into a fight with you.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 24, 2013, 06:10:19 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on June 24, 2013, 05:36:25 PM

This would still be ridiculously powerful. Like having a 10-day dwarf-warrior friend around who's always ready to jump into a fight with you.

More so that it is like the above with a single pc now in control of two powerful beings, with no karma to gauge if they are responsible enough to handle such power, as all other pc's leaders with npc control generally have. Or at least staff supported.

On the funny side of this:

ranger and inix are going along.

Ranger sees a wild inix near.

Ranger dismounts and orders Inix to charge the wild inix, near and kill.

Inix run off

Ranger looks east

Two inix are here, palavering.

Moments latter..

Two inix charge in, ranger is caught in mid wonder..

Two inix munch on ranger.

After..

Wild inix turns to mount inix and in inix speak says " See I told you we could free you from your slaver. Now I know the best clump of grasses to eat, right over near this place with plenty of water."

Mounted inix nods to wild inix and they run off into the sunset.

Sure let's do this!

And then ... also make rangers and half-elves like ... 6 karma.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

June 26, 2013, 11:08:41 AM #24 Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:11:21 AM by Desertman
I hate to just say "no".

Just saying "no" is so closed minded. I can see how this would work. You would just have to make the ability something that is tagged onto a higher karma class.

In a world where people throw fireballs, I just find it hard to say anything is "unrealistic" or "op". You can justify just about anything in a world where dragons exist and mindbenders are actually real.

This isn't unrealistic or OP in Zalanthan terms, it is however very unbalanced from a "this is a game" view point if not given the right karma restriction.

So to the new player. "Yes, this would be possible and isn't a horrible idea, it would just have to be very carefully implemented, and probably won't be implemented any time soon."
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.