Stamina Regeration (or something else?)

Started by MowLiao, June 13, 2013, 07:55:25 PM

Quote from: Fujikoma on June 15, 2013, 11:42:11 AM
Some of these proposed "solutions" would make elves much harder to play (and, let's be honest, it doesn't need that), or at least, city elves. Seriously, you take a lot for granted when you can just ride a beast around. I think the system is fine the way it is. Musashi, imo, is right, just drop your weapons and type "rest" if it bothers you that much.
+1
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on June 15, 2013, 03:48:41 PM
Some of these proposed "solutions" would make elves much harder to play (and, let's be honest, it doesn't need that), or at least, city elves. Seriously, you take a lot for granted when you can just ride a beast around. I think the system is fine the way it is. Musashi, imo, is right, just drop your weapons and type "rest" if it bothers you that much.
+1

City Elves don't really belong in situations where this should be an issue.

Quote from: Sephiroto on June 15, 2013, 04:06:15 PM
Quote from: Harmless on June 15, 2013, 03:48:41 PM
+1

City Elves don't really belong in situations where this should be an issue.

QuoteThe differences between city elves and desert elves are only the result of their differing lifestyles--there is only one elven race.

There's nothing in the city elf or city elf roleplay file that backs up that argument. In fact, it makes mention of their nomadic tendencies, and I would think that means more than changing apartments. I've even heard there's a certain tribe that goes out hunting, though, it may have been a vicious rumor to discredit a particular tribe's city elven heritage.

Theoretically City Elves are the same race as Desert Elves, so it's not so bizarre, nothing they SHOULDN'T be able to do imo, just not something usually done culturally. It's not something that never happens, it's just suboptimal, I've seen it before, and heard about it. It's not like I'm asking for direction sense for city elves (which would be nice, considering it does get dark and sandy in cities)... But elves are not the whole issue here, the issue is stamina, and I've had my troubles with it before that have gotten my character killed (non-elf), and I'm saying I really don't see the need for a fix, that fix in particular. Maybe since elves are supposed to possess superhuman stamina, they could be immune to it.

(though, getting exhausted before sparring could make training more productive, if your abilities got nerfed by having low stamina)

But among the proposed fixes, I'd have to say the adrenalin rush sounds good to me, maybe give you a short term brawn and agility boost at the expense of wisdom as well, say, when you hit %25 hp, just pulling a number off the top of my head, however, if that were applied to npc beasties, there could be the real potential for some serious mayhem, might not be so good.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

June 15, 2013, 05:06:29 PM #28 Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:21:25 PM by Harmless
Alright, I'd be okay with changes similar to what is being suggested by morg if riding consumed stamina as well.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

You should remember that any boost to stamina encourages people to run from combat, making combat less decisive as a whole.

Not that I'm against that.  I do think you should have to commit to a fight in order to die in one, but you should also have to commit in order win one.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Fujikoma on June 15, 2013, 04:42:53 PM

But among the proposed fixes, I'd have to say the adrenalin rush sounds good to me, maybe give you a short term brawn and agility boost at the expense of wisdom as well, say, when you hit %25 hp, just pulling a number off the top of my head, however, if that were applied to npc beasties, there could be the real potential for some serious mayhem, might not be so good.

Wisdom seems really counter intuitive to me. I'd say either hp or stamina should take the hit. And not NPCS.

I'm not really advocating this concept of adrenaline rush, mind you. Just musing.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I wouldn't mind something akin to the final stages of dehydration being triggered by exceptionally low hp.

<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

June 20, 2013, 02:08:54 PM #32 Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:11:01 PM by Agent_137
i feel like this ties into the other stamina thread complaining about how unrealistic it is that you can't just walk forever if the weather isn't horrible and you're unencumbered.

for realism and playability, i think stamina should just regen while standing/riding unless there are extenuating circumstances like heavy burden, extreme weather conditions, combat, etc. All of which would slow the regen but in most cases not stop it completely.

adding adrenaline rushes or limit breaks to armageddon seems a really weird way to handle something which should be simple.

July 10, 2013, 06:15:30 AM #33 Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:36:06 AM by Dresan
I really like Morgenes idea. Below 40% stamina (fine maybe 30%), your combat skills should start to decrease to the point where they are really bad at 0 endurance.

Then again i'm also a big fan of combat draining stamina abiet slowly 1 stamina every two or three rounds. I thinkthese ideas were being discussed back when stamina penalties were being implemented, something i was happy to see as well. Boy, do i remember all the raging done back then though.  ;D

Just to add: To balance it off, we could get a slightly more generous stamina regen when sitting or resting out in the wilds, a slow stamina regen when riding and even slower stam regen when just standing.

I indeed like the combination of all those things!
Life sucks, then you die.