Is the North less racist?

Started by Gilgamesh, May 24, 2013, 08:36:50 PM

I've noticed that equality players a great role in Tuluk than in Allanak. Especially towards other races. Is racism just more subtle than the south, or is the culture less racist towards minorities? Particularly elves.
Light RP is like light beer: It fucking sucks and makes me fall asleep.

I miss Tuluk....

More subtle.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Thee racism is definitely there, however, it's not so in your face as in Allanak. Allanak is a culture based around being just downright gritty. There are bodies in the street and if you don't look and act like me you're a feckin' dipshit who should be thrown in the spike pit. Tuluk is a culture based around the shadows, and based around how discreet you can be, especially as anyone in any form of power. If you don't look and act like me, we should go have tea as I tell you that I just love the way your ears look even more pointed as you try to sell me your lovely flowers.

Tuluk and Allanak are two different beasts. The world however has it's own norms. Racism is there, but it isn't Allanaki racism.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

I like to think of Tuluk as the land of thinkers. Smile to your face, take your sid, give you their sid, let you even hold their babies while they plot and think about how much they hate elves, stumps, breeds and Allanaki bards.

I would think all that repression would make you MORE racist.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Racism exists in Tuluk at an institutional level.
But the prosperous of the city are not apt to out and out say it in front of large crowds.

Kinda like America  ;)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

The greying-templed, grimace-faced man says in pompous sirihish:
     "It'd be easier getting elected Chosen Governor if I was half-elven."

The greying-templed, grimace-faced man chuckles uncomfortably.

Sometimes I wonder if where one is from is a more important point of discernment than one's race.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

May 25, 2013, 01:11:23 AM #7 Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:14:47 AM by little chicken woman
It is when you're caught/someone has convinced the right person that you've done something bad, at least in my own few cases.

To get back on track, what I don't like about Tuluk is that one can be fooled into believing that things are less racist there. I had one elf tell my own elf that things aren't as bad in the north for elves, and on the surface it seems so. But I don't think they really understood what Tuluk is supposed to be: "just as (bad word) as Allanak" a direct quote from the beginning of a helpfile somewhere that I can't remember for the life of me.

Allanak:
You are a filthy damn necker shitwad!
em spits on ~elf
Tuluk:
I regard you with indifference, however I believe we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.
think (devious) Once I've got what I need, wouldn't it be tragic for him to have an accident on the following hunt?
em smiles good-naturedly
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Quote from: greasygemo on May 25, 2013, 01:39:49 AM
Allanak:
em spits on ~elf
Tuluk:
I regard you with indifference, however I believe we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.
think (devious) Once I've got what I need, wouldn't it be tragic for him to have an accident on the following hunt?
em smiles good-naturedly

That is it 100% In fact, I've done, and thought exactly that in Tuluk. Stop playing mind benders, damnit!

:P
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on May 25, 2013, 01:56:30 AM
Allanak:
em spits on ~elf
Tuluk:
em smiles good-naturedly

That is it 100% In fact, I've done, and thought exactly that in Tuluk. Stop playing mind benders, damnit!

:P

You can't make me! *flee self*

oh god please not another North vs South thread
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

May 25, 2013, 03:09:13 AM #12 Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 03:31:07 AM by Harmless
Finding out how racism really works in Tuluk was a bit painful for me. I think I initially thought there was "less racism" too, but the more I learned, the more I realized that there isn't "more" or "less" between the two, just different. In both cities, subhumans are oppressed. Overt oppression will drive them into pockets, whereas subtle oppression is the carrot that pulls them into your control. In neither city do they really matter, in neither one will their lives or achievements be retold or remembered. Yet in both, subhumans are useful and needed. The North might* let them intermingle more with the human castes or dangle the carrot of hope that they could even become important among them; in Allanak, the powers that be will tell them straight up where they can and can't go or else, and though that lifestyle may feel lonely, they can live out their lives mostly unmolested, thanks to the pervasive struggle that means even those in control have "more important things to do."

* I have no idea what I'm talking about. This is one way I've seen it played, it has been consistent, but this is not an absolute. This is up to interpretation. I am commenting on my anecdotal experience.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Scarecrow on May 25, 2013, 02:37:46 AM

In-game war.

One city is annihilated.

Topic eliminated.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Vwest on May 25, 2013, 03:10:50 AM

In-game war.

One city is annihilated.

Topic eliminated.

( -______-)  zzzzzzzzzz..........
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Looks like it's time to move to Luirs and wait until the dust settles before claiming I was supporting the winning team the whole time. *shifty eyes*

This thread isn't "another North vs South" thread. It was a thread made to discuss the differences in racism and how it's approached, in each City-State.

Get your head out of your ass.

On-topic:
Greasygemo hit it on the head, though, with the following:
Allanak:
em spits on ~elf
Tuluk:
em smiles good-naturedly

In Tuluk, reputation and political posturing is power. Openly discriminating against races (however unsavory they may be) potentially harms your position. Especially since Elves have a bit of prominence due to the Akai Sjir, in the North. Messing with an elf in Tuluk usually means you're messing with someone whose either directly or indirectly associated with the Akai - Which could spell very unfortunate consequences for yourself.

In Allanak, theirs is a history built upon the backs of slaves of all the other races. Other then the street gangs of the Labyrinth, which influence tends to be more local-oriented, most elves and dwarves you come across have no affiliation with any group of power - Making it easier to discriminate against them with little repercussion (unless they try to assassinate you for it, which is a bit dramatic).
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

May 25, 2013, 07:23:52 AM #17 Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:25:57 AM by hyzhenhok
Honestly I don't see a whole lot of difference in how dwarves, breeds and half-giants are treated in the two cities. You see people buddying with breeds and foreigners in both places.

Only elves are treated noticeably differently, and you can attribute that as much or more to OOC knowledge of the differing PC elf clan options in the two cities as you can cultural differences in the cities.

I've never actually noticed any kind of real racism towards half-giants. They're dumb, easy to manipulate, and VERY strong. Everyone is nice to a half giant, because it's always in your best interests to have a big dumb strong friend.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 25, 2013, 05:44:10 AM
Get your head out of your ass.

Perhaps a little less hostility would be nice, mmh?  :)

On topic, I'd say both cities have a lot of racism, although as others have said it differs due to each individual city's culture.

As for half-giants, even the most unsubtle of southies can see how easily the huge tools can be manipulated with encouragement, and how unwise it is to greatly upset someone with poor self control, little foresight and arms the size of tree-trunks.

Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: AdamBlue on May 25, 2013, 07:42:39 AM
I've never actually noticed any kind of real racism towards half-giants. They're dumb, easy to manipulate, and VERY strong. Everyone is nice to a half giant, because it's always in your best interests to have a big dumb strong friend.

Racism against half-giants always struck me as the same kind of racism old school Japanese people have for foreigners. It's not the same flavor that the KKK has for black people.

They're warm, welcoming, very inviting and supportive of you ... till you try and actually rise to any position of responsibility above that of a glorified house pet, at which point you're ever so gently reminded that you're a dumbass foreigner who couldn't possibly be competent enough to handle anything sharper than a spoon.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Tuluki don't seem to as much hate other races, they just don't give them the same rights and they definitely don't like interbreeding.

Quote from: jigglypuffs on May 25, 2013, 11:07:19 AM
Tuluki don't seem to as much hate other races, they just don't give them the same rights and they definitely don't like interbreeding.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: jigglypuffs on May 25, 2013, 11:07:19 AM

Dunno, seen some really racist, blatant humans come out of Tuluk. For the most part, though... I think you may be right, in my limited experience. Don't really play Tulukis anymore.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

No it's not. Some people choose not to be outright with it and go the subtle route. Some people are not and say they are by remarking they're actually being subtle... Others will never hesitate to spit on an breed or call to order that the elf sitting beside you, is in fact, a lousy, dirty, f-ing thief.
Czar of City Elves.