Is the North less racist?

Started by Gilgamesh, May 24, 2013, 08:36:50 PM

May 25, 2013, 03:04:59 PM #25 Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 03:14:11 PM by Fredd
Quote from: Barsook on May 25, 2013, 11:19:05 AM
Quote from: jigglypuffs on May 25, 2013, 11:07:19 AM
Tuluki don't seem to as much hate other races, they just don't give them the same rights and they definitely don't like interbreeding.

You Think. But the truth is one of the following.

You're considered expendable, and will be tossed to the side when no longer useful.

You're considered expendable, and are doing the work someone else doesn't want to.

You're considered expendable, and will be framed at some point.

You're considered expendable, and are someones toy.

Edit: Just because, in public, it looks like you have the same rights, and people aren't cursing you out, that don't mean it's less racist. Tuluk put on a sweet face of being 'safe' to the world. The truth is, it's a trap. Just under the surface, in the alleys, and private halls, and bedrooms. There's plotting, and murder, and betrayal. Murder is legal in Tuluk if done right. And the cost to kill races other then humans is, in my experience, a fair amount less then it is to kill a human of the same caste rank. Telling me that no matter how hard a dwarf works, they are still just a "Servant Race" and elves are "Just thieves" and breeds are "Just worthless." I think Half Giants are the only ones exempt, because they are so dumb, they actively fit into there prejudice of a servant race.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I feel like the OP's question was well-answered. Find out the rest IC, no? ;)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on May 25, 2013, 04:27:55 PM

+1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Harmless on May 25, 2013, 04:27:55 PM

I'm glad this came about.

Last time I posted in one of these threads I got flame-baited into responding and then got banned due to someone with a long standing grudge and a too-quick 'report' finger.

It can all be cut down to the following:
In Allanak things are what they are.
In Tuluk, there is always a reason.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

in allanak the racism is pretty arbitrary if not over-the-top towards all elf pcs, anywhere else is a step down really

its actually sort surprising there are any elves at all in allanak

you think they would have been purged in some genocidal event

elves give something for the upper class to deflect the poor's hostility upon. if they got rid of all the poor's enemies, all their pent up aggression would have nowhere to go but up

July 20, 2013, 12:35:05 AM #32 Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:36:40 AM by Vwest
Quote from: Wastrel on July 19, 2013, 10:32:32 PM
its actually sort surprising there are any elves at all in allanak

you think they would have been purged in some genocidal event

I'm cool with oppression and all that, but I would never even try to play an elf PC in Allanak proper right now.

You will basically wait half a day in the app queue for a five minute flavor role, then die to to some militia PC in the Arena so he can loot your stuff.

I really think it's gone beyond ridiculous.

edit: fixed my words because posting on the forums while my character is in combat was a bad idea
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Yo son, that's what the player complaint thing is for.

If you are an elf and you flee from a soldier especially a higher ranking player then you are asking for it.   I wouldn't want to play an elf in Allanak rather than the rinth because there are not enough elven players in Allanak.  Elves aren't gonna be friends with humans, not typically anyway.
Elves are second class citizens and they are thieves.   Elves can be made examples, or just be used if a soldier deems it.  You can be killed when you are a threat or are no longer useful.  Be weary of humans, especially the militia.  I don't think an aod pc killing an elf pc is anything to complain about.   If you don't know how to avoid the risk that the city has to offer then don't elf or do, but know you have been warned. 
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

July 20, 2013, 04:11:24 PM #35 Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:43:39 PM by Wastrel
Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on July 20, 2013, 03:32:08 PM
If you are an elf and you flee from a soldier especially a higher ranking player then you are asking for it.   I wouldn't want to play an elf in Allanak rather than the rinth because there are not enough elven players in Allanak.  Elves aren't gonna be friends with humans, not typically anyway.
Elves are second class citizens and they are thieves.   Elves can be made examples, or just be used if a soldier deems it.  You can be killed when you are a threat or are no longer useful.  Be weary of humans, especially the militia.  I don't think an aod pc killing an elf pc is anything to complain about.   If you don't know how to avoid the risk that the city has to offer then don't elf or do, but know you have been warned.  

Its not like the rinth has the playerbase to purely support rinth-only play, rinthies have to go into the allanak proper for roleplay opportunities, they are apart of allanak as much as anyone else. I dont think I've ever really seen "pure rinthers" - such a thing is exceedingly rare and I think only doable by someone with a LOT of patience or short play times. Anyway, my gripe is that the elf bashing in nak has reached almost comical proportions. I dont think players realize there are literally thousands of elves in the city doing their own thing, going about their daily lives. So when PCs see one just hanging out, it turns into a scene like a black guy walking into a bar in the deep south. I just dont think that is the reality of the gameworld. There are levels of coexistence and tolerance. Yes, elves are seen as thieves and little bastards for various reasons, but if the general population of the gameworld held the same sort of beliefs that the average nak PC did, elves would not be in nak at all.

Quote from: Wastrel on July 20, 2013, 04:11:24 PM
If you are an elf and you flee from a soldier especially a higher ranking player then you are asking for it.   I wouldn't want to play an elf in Allanak rather than the rinth because there are not enough elven players in Allanak.  Elves aren't gonna be friends with humans, not typically anyway.
Elves are second class citizens and they are thieves.   Elves can be made examples, or just be used if a soldier deems it.  You can be killed when you are a threat or are no longer useful.  Be weary of humans, especially the militia.  I don't think an aod pc killing an elf pc is anything to complain about.   If you don't know how to avoid the risk that the city has to offer then don't elf or do, but know you have been warned.  

Its not like the rinth has the playerbase to purely support rinth-only play, rinthies have to go into the allanak proper for roleplay opportunities, they are apart of allanak as much as anyone else. I dont think I've ever really seen "pure rinthers" - such a thing is exceedingly rare and I think only doable by someone with a LOT of patience or short play times. Anyway, my gripe is that the elf bashing in nak has reached almost comical proportions. I dont think players realize there are literally thousands of elves in the city doing their own thing, living life, going about their daily lives. So when PCs see one just hanging out, it turns into a scene like a black guy walking into a bar in the deep south. I just dont think that is the reality of the gameworld. There are levels of coexistence and tolerance. Yes, elves are seen as thieves and little bastards for various reasons, but if the general population of the gameworld held the same sort of beliefs that the average nak PC did, elves would not be in nak at all.

This.

Elves are the second most populous race in the game - they run shops, they have lives, they live amongst humans and for all of this to be true, there has to be the basic, if grudging acceptance.

As it stands, an elf -PC- walks into the Gaj and within moments the Arm is there beating the hell out of him/her and by the end of the day they're on the pile, stripped clean.

That this has gone on for so long with neither the in-game leaders (Templars) or staff seeming to have an issue with it, well, it kind of cements the reality that you do not play an elf PC in Allanak unless you are looking for a throw away flavor role.

It's a shame because having an elf or two around really does bring an interesting dynamic and everyone kind of loses out by having them killed immediately, every time.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Vwest on July 20, 2013, 05:02:44 PM

Its not like the rinth has the playerbase to purely support rinth-only play, rinthies have to go into the allanak proper for roleplay opportunities, they are apart of allanak as much as anyone else. I dont think I've ever really seen "pure rinthers" - such a thing is exceedingly rare and I think only doable by someone with a LOT of patience or short play times. Anyway, my gripe is that the elf bashing in nak has reached almost comical proportions. I dont think players realize there are literally thousands of elves in the city doing their own thing, living life, going about their daily lives. So when PCs see one just hanging out, it turns into a scene like a black guy walking into a bar in the deep south. I just dont think that is the reality of the gameworld. There are levels of coexistence and tolerance. Yes, elves are seen as thieves and little bastards for various reasons, but if the general population of the gameworld held the same sort of beliefs that the average nak PC did, elves would not be in nak at all.

This.

Elves are the second most populous race in the game - they run shops, they have lives, they live amongst humans and for all of this to be true, there has to be the basic, if grudging acceptance.

As it stands, an elf -PC- walks into the Gaj and within moments the Arm is there beating the hell out of him/her and by the end of the day they're on the pile, stripped clean.

That this has gone on for so long with neither the in-game leaders (Templars) or staff seeming to have an issue with it, well, it kind of cements the reality that you do not play an elf PC in Allanak unless you are looking for a throw away flavor role.

It's a shame because having an elf or two around really does bring an interesting dynamic and everyone kind of loses out by having them killed immediately, every time.

Playing in Allanak right now, I can't read this any anything but over-exaggerated hyperbole.

If I ever saw that level of playing out of line with the games documentation I'd send in a Player Complaint with the request tool. Staff will look it over a deem whether or not I was right, and then proceed accordingly. But then again I've never seen that. So I never have.

I'v played in Nak for rl years, over several characters from differing view points and find the lsat few statements about elves highly exaggerated.

If you find an elf on the piles, there is generally a good reason. But also you will more than likely find an equal if not more amount of other races on the piles.

I have seen many elves in allanak. Some have had long lives. Some short. Some get away with their doings, some don't. Many have had a public life and not been overly harassed by those of power, simply for being an elf. And some have. I have even played an elf or two in nak, with some success and some not so much.

Really it comes down to current personalities, the player of the elf's and those playing around them. Some players of militia might simply be the exception and feel the need to beat an sharp once a day. Others could careless. I have see both side as I said before.

But I think those come down to personal bigotries and abuse. Not the over ridding norm.

Most times if a pc is found on the piles (elf or not) there is a good reason for them to have gotten there. Bar the random murder. It is frowned upon for soldiers and higher ups to simply kill a pc for being elf (or in most cases any specific race.) They still need to justify their reasons with much more scrutiny than most other clan/class/roles in game. Because with them lies power, and power must show some balance or the game is broken.

Be sure staff makes all killings by soldiers and templars accountable.

But also, yes, you may not find the -love- you hope for or desire if you play an elf in nak.

And if you play an elf in Tuluk, that -love- may only be an illusion.

Or is it?

The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on July 20, 2013, 08:57:03 PM
Really it comes down to current personalities, the player of the elf's and those playing around them. Some players of militia might simply be the exception and feel the need to beat an sharp once a day. Others could careless. I have see both side as I said before.

But I think those come down to personal bigotries and abuse. Not the over ridding norm.
And if you play an elf in Tuluk, that -love- may only be an illusion.

Yep. And as for love in Tuluk, there is an in-city coded tribe to keep the population sustained and to keep socializing attainable. As has been previously griped about many times, the coded tribe for elves in nak is rinth based, and we all know what hurdles that means there are (joining might be difficult to impossible, esp. for a newbie; need to app into the clan in most cases, etc).

I also agree there was a lot of hyperbole and that most of the time you see an elf body there was a reason for it.

I've seen successful elves before in Nak. They have usually been in clans, which in almost every case means the Byn if you're not in a coded tribe.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 20, 2013, 06:37:26 PM
Quote from: Vwest on July 20, 2013, 05:02:44 PM

This.

Playing in Allanak right now, I can't read this any anything but over-exaggerated hyperbole.

If I ever saw that level of playing out of line with the games documentation I'd send in a Player Complaint with the request tool. Staff will look it over a deem whether or not I was right, and then proceed accordingly. But then again I've never seen that. So I never have.

I guess thats kind of what I'm saying too.  I've never had a character killed by the militia for no reason.  Though, if there was an elf hating militia soldier with a high enough rank its not out of character to gank.  Private is high enough.  When they shake you down, best be givin up your black instead of trying to run away.   Know your role.  You'd be surprised what you can get out of with a silver tongue or enough coins.  

I doubt you are just sitting at the Gaj and four militia soldiers walk in crim flag you and then murder you.  Its probably more like, They say something, you say something that pisses them off, they say something, you piss them off more and then something bad happens.   In this scenario there is plenty of time to change the outcome by not saying things that piss them off.

If it really is happening that way where you are just sitting at the Gaj and they murder you, then yeah, definitely complain.  I've never had it happen.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

July 20, 2013, 09:11:12 PM #41 Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:18:44 PM by Wastrel
nvm

Hmm... I don't think they had exactly meant that insta-crim flagging and ganking happens. I've never seen that either, and I respect Wastrel as a player enough to be sure he didn't mean that either.

The social ostracism is what I think they were complaining about. But, again, it isn't anything that couldn't be greatly remedied by joining a clan.

Jeez, guys, for anyone who complains about a lack of a social life, just figure out which clan you can join and join it. For a lot of races in this game, you usually have 1 or 2 choices at best, but that's for a reason. Join those clans, fill up those roles, and stop moping.

If you're upset about having no money or restrictive rules, just remember that the more accurately this world is being roleplayed, the more difficult it is SUPPOSED to be for you to make friends and get places.

...And being on the corpse pile isn't that bad. It's pretty warm, and you have plenty of fresh... and some not-so-fresh friends to hang around with.

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

The hyperbole has a source, and that source has some truth to it. I dont think I'm the only one who's noticed the large amount of elf corpses in Nak the past couple months. I remember one week it was especially bad. I'm sure all you old players who've been playing Armageddon for a decade will just roll your eyes at this, you've seen this before, you've been through it yourself. Well let us noobies bemoan over the state of racial oppression. Dont hold it against us. Obviously, Allanak isn't going to become Tuluk any time soon (thank god). Most of us have played elves and been bashed and in turn will play humans so we can bash elves. Its all apart of the sadistic cycle that is murder, corruption, and betrayal - we know. I was just pointing out its gotten to be a little too much the past few months. Hopefully it is just a blip in attitudes, one that simply happens from time to time, not the new prevailing status quo.

Quote from: Wastrel on July 20, 2013, 11:17:10 PM
The hyperbole has a source, and that source has some truth to it. I dont think I'm the only one who's noticed the large amount of elf corpses in Nak the past couple months. I remember one week it was especially bad. I'm sure all you old players who've been playing Armageddon for a decade will just roll your eyes at this, you've seen this before, you've been through it yourself. Well let us noobies bemoan over the state of racial oppression. Dont hold it against us. Obviously, Allanak isn't going to become Tuluk any time soon (thank god). Most of us have played elves and been bashed and in turn will play humans so we can bash elves. Its all apart of the sadistic cycle that is murder, corruption, and betrayal - we know. I was just pointing out its gotten to be a little too much the past few months. Hopefully it is just a blip in attitudes, one that simply happens from time to time, not the new prevailing status quo.

Were those elves PCs that were killed by PCs? Or could it have been a PC elf that got ganked by the criminal code for being and elf (AKA stealing)? Or are you not aware of the event that brought said bodies to the pile and just speculating?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

July 20, 2013, 11:58:08 PM #46 Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:00:22 AM by Wastrel
Not going to discuss recent IC events lol. Also I was using corpses as a blanket term.

Let me rephrase:
Have you witnessed multiple accounts at any point in time since you started playing where elves were PKd by PCs without warrant?
If so, why are you griefing on the GDB instead of filing player complaints?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

The point > your head, apparently.

Something tells me you don't understand that expression, Wastrel. Because you literally just said "the point is more than your head".

What point are you trying to make? Lots of elves get PK'd? Elves are getting PK'd too much? What?