Clothing styles modifier. <wear> (message)

Started by gfair, May 14, 2013, 12:02:38 AM

For the shorter sdesc items that players can wear, I thought a bit more creativity might add a welcome change. The idea is to allow a (message) modifier to the <wear> command, provided that the combination of item sdesc and message don't total greater than the maximum sdesc size, including the phrase 'is worn'.

For example:

wear stillsuit (desert fashion)

<on torso>               a black stillsuit is worn desert fashion
<around ankle>        a black sandcloth bandana is worn tucked into his boots

You know, I think that is one of the best ideas I have heard in a while.

And new...or at least I cannot find other threads on it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I like the idea. The code marker would need to be different (parentheses are used for emotes), but that's pretty minor.

wear shirt {open down the front}
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

May 14, 2013, 02:26:32 AM #3 Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:11:02 AM by Bushranger
I like the idea as well. I don't think there would be any need for new brackets could just handle it like a drop arrange. I also don't think 'is worn' is necessary either.

wear hat (setting it with a lean to his left) ~ is worn with a rakish tilt

Setting it with a lean to his left, the greying, grey-eyed geezer wears a furry red hat on his head.

<on head> a furry red hat is worn with a rakish tilt

wear bandanna ankle [tying it off quickly] looped loosely is ~

The dirty, scrubby gangster wears a pink and orange bandanna around his ankle, tying it off quickly.

<around ankle> looped loosely is a pink and orange bandanna

wear strip hair (holding her braided hair over her shoulder) [and ties it securely] holding her braid ~ is tied tight

Holding her braided hair over her shoulder, the tressy, tressed woman wears a leather strip in her hair, and ties it securely.

<in hair> holding her braid a leather strip is tied tight
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I want to drop arrange my clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

This meets with my approval.  :)
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

If they can do it on IRE, why not here? The code seems infinitely more complex here.

It would be cool, but you may see a lot of <on head> The straw hat is worn upside down, with a lizard in it.

Would this be silly? Yes. But silly things happen in RL too, and some characters could find an IC reason for doing such things, is all I am worried about. :P

Nah, we have responsible players, you don't see a lot of "The black-haired, tall guy is here, with the wind in his hair, looking fabulous."

I'm sure we could control ourselves with a system that allowed us to express the way our clothes are worn without going balls out silly.
:P

For what it's worth, this is kind of how clothing was designed in the JavaMUG code base.  Each type of garment can have a variety of defined wear styles that produce different default drop-descs, but you can arrange items you are wearing, as well as in your inventory.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Thought on current game....most items with really super sdescs should be modified to be more descriptive. They're usually lacking importantish details.

On JavaM...the code and flexibility sounded awesome, but was there a way to put any flair or details into the work? For example could craft an item that was 'elaborately carved' or 'delicate' or 'brightly painted'? Because it seemed like you could only utilise adjectives from the components e.g. wooden, black, cotton, stone etc.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: greasygemo on May 14, 2013, 09:05:19 AM
Nah, we have responsible players, you don't see a lot of "The black-haired, tall guy is here, with the wind in his hair, looking fabulous."

I'm sure we could control ourselves with a system that allowed us to express the way our clothes are worn without going balls out silly.
:P

Plus we have tdesc, which is like a paragraph's worth of dynamic, potentially abuseable text - but I haven't seen a single questionable tdesc description since the code was implemented several years ago.

Yeah, I like this idea.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

My one concern is items with super long sdescs - I don't really want to see this:

<about throat> a glittering strand of scintillating emeralds, wrapped three times about his slender,
swanlike neck

or

<sheathed on back> an obsidian, serpent-carved blade with a ruby-encrusted hilt, slung diagonally
across her back at a rakish angle

I dig this, but yeah what to do with those cases.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I'm guessing if this is considered (which I looooooooove) it would be severely limited in character.

LM has a point, some of the descriptions in game are huge, adding more would be a bit of overkill.

Maybe limit it to a certain amount of slots being describable?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on May 14, 2013, 12:05:09 PM

+1
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on May 14, 2013, 12:10:04 PM
Quote from: ShaLeah on May 14, 2013, 12:05:09 PM

+1
Fredd-

Possibly there could be a max character length for item sdesc + custom description.  Say 60 characters as an example.

So, for instance, if you did have

an obsidian, serpent-carved blade with a ruby-encrusted hilt

You couldn't add anything else to the end because that sdesc already takes up 60 characters worth of space.

But

a small bag

would have 49 characters left to utilize.

Maybe that could work but...I just don't know.
Fredd-

this appeals to my OCD that grinds on me whenever I want wear that -one- item which has teeeeeny sdesc.. in the middle of my wearloc list.. glaring at me like a stain.. and then I have to take it off or change everything else to look tidy because I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT >_>

Quote from: greasygemo on May 14, 2013, 03:31:26 PM
this appeals to my OCD that grinds on me whenever I want wear that -one- item which has teeeeeny sdesc.. in the middle of my wearloc list.. glaring at me like a stain.. and then I have to take it off or change everything else to look tidy because I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT >_>

Haha, I feel the exact same way - I hate it when every other item I'm wearing has roughly the same length of sdesc, except for that one overly short or overly long item!  DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!

Definitely an interesting idea
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: LauraMars on May 14, 2013, 03:38:24 PM
Quote from: greasygemo on May 14, 2013, 03:31:26 PM

Haha, I feel the exact same way - I hate it when every other item I'm wearing has roughly the same length of sdesc, except for that one overly short or overly long item!  DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!

I am glad that I am not the only one with this same OCD habit.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.