How many characters have you gone through?

Started by Caiden, May 12, 2013, 01:45:47 PM

How many characters have you gone through since you started playing Arm?

0-10
29 (29.3%)
10-20
20 (20.2%)
20-30
14 (14.1%)
30-40
11 (11.1%)
40+
25 (25.3%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: May 26, 2013, 01:45:47 PM

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 13, 2013, 06:20:44 PM
Quote from: Erythil on May 13, 2013, 06:27:38 AM
Quote from: spicemustflow on May 13, 2013, 05:27:22 AM
Quote from: Erythil on May 13, 2013, 05:21:30 AM
I've been playing for several years and I am still on character 2.

wow. respect.

The secret is simple: playing non-combatants.

I did try non-combatants, they didn't fare any better :(

Les chance of death, more chance of storage. In my experience... With that one noncombat role I did... that one time...

Maybe I should give that another try.

Started 2000-ish.    On character #15.

15 in five years (yesterday!!).  One stored.  A couple of long lived (over a rl year), the rest went and did stupid things and died of thirst, wildlife, greed, following other players with slow ass response times to mets charging in...like that.

Non-combatants did not do all that much better than those wandering the wilds wearing a g-string and armed with a pointy stick.

Heh, not really. There have been people with MANY more PCs in a 1-2 month period, some of them played by long term players.

Besides, number of PCs means nothing, what matters is if you are having fun. If keeping every PC alive for 2 RL years and 200 days played is fun to you, Great. If  playing every PC like Leeeeroooyyy Jeeenkiiiinnnsss! is your thing...Great. Though as you can see by posts and poll, most people fall in between. I have had 3 PCs in a month then one for 18 months...Of course when they go over a year I usually store.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Caiden on May 13, 2013, 10:38:37 PM
I just have some baaaad ass luck guys.

Whatever, you're new...dying a lot is practically a right of passage!  The fact that you haven't thrown your keyboard across the room and ragequit is a good sign.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

May 13, 2013, 11:46:09 PM #56 Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:03:29 PM by LauraMars
Here's how many characters I've had - been playing since August, 2005.  Check this out - towards the end of this list there are many more stored characters than dead ones.

1)  - Dead
 2) - Dead
 3)  - Dead
 4)  - Dead
 5) - Stored
 6)  - Stored
 7)  - Dead
 8 )  - Dead
 9) - Stored
 10)  - Dead
 11)  - Dead
 12)  - Dead
 13)  - Dead
 14)  - Dead
 15)  - Dead
 16)  - Dead
 17)  - Dead
 18)  - Stored
 19)  - Dead
 20)  - Dead
 21)  - Dead
 22)  - Stored
 23)  - Stored
 24)  - Stored
 25)  - Dead
 26)  - Stored
 27)  - Stored
 28)  - Stored
 29)  - Stored
 30)  - Dead
 31)  - Alive
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I've been playing a month, and have one character. She's still kicking.

Quote from: PriestlySiren on May 14, 2013, 03:50:05 AM
Aaand you jinxed it :P
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

On my 40th in about 7 years of playing.

I'm all across in the board in my characters' longevity. Quite a few one day or less played. Decent amount of 3-4 months. Couple 1-2 years.  I think my worst was 3 or 4 characters in the span of a week. Shit happens. Living dangerously is more fun for me :)

Quote from: tiptoe on May 14, 2013, 05:54:37 AM
On my 40th in about 7 years of playing.

I'm all across in the board in my characters' longevity. Quite a few one day or less played. Decent amount of 3-4 months. Couple 1-2 years.  I think my worst was 3 or 4 characters in the span of a week. Shit happens. Living dangerously is more fun for me :)

Can't stop staring at... avatar... must... look.... cannot resist!

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 14, 2013, 04:27:40 AM
Quote from: PriestlySiren on May 14, 2013, 03:50:05 AM
Aaand you jinxed it :P
Hey... I've had a character very similar to this one on a different, but equally dangerous game (the staff is massively bored):
1. Get shot through the leg with an arrow by a bandit - 2nd RL day played
2. Have an exploding bomb go off in the same room - same day
3. Have an exploding bomb lobbed at her own head - next day.
4. Get shot again, and backstabbed - day after.
5. Get poisoned with a sleeping drug and threatened by a gang when she woke up - a week or so later.
6. Mass attacked by scorpions - a couple weeks later
7. 24 scorpions on 5 people - a few days later
8. Random bear attack! - a couple weeks later
9. PACK OF WOLVES ATTACK! - ten seconds after the bear is killed
10. Nearly got arrested - a few days later.
11. Giant predator lizard chased her - few days after that
12. Fell down a cliff only to explore a cave.
13. Touched a sorcerer's wand, only to have it burn the fuck out of her hand.
14. Lizard makes another appearance - it keeps aggroing on me randomly, so the staff have to keep restoring me, because it isn't actually attacking me.

If you live through all this in about three RL months.... going on a couple dangerous rides seems like nothing. Particularly when your character is convinced that ANYTHING could kill her. That's key to surviving. Know that everything can kill you, and run when you think they're about to.

My first 40, 45 were Find and Know Everything A Mundane Can Know About All Outdoor Rooms Ever Fuck Living pcs. The next fifteen or so were nonserious attempts at surviving past a month--- usually got stored, or died to poison or something else that didn't have anything to do with being unaware of the wildlife in the regions they lived in. My last five have all lasted more than a month each, gradually increasing their lifespans, more like my patience, but hey.

Kind of sad, though, I mean, the first forty? I realized some time after I've scratched that body-length itch that I know maybe one-fourth of all outdoor rooms in the game. Probably one-fifth. God this game is amazing.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on May 14, 2013, 06:29:17 PM
My first 40, 45 were Find and Know Everything A Mundane Can Know About All Outdoor Rooms Ever Fuck Living pcs.
We apparently have something in common.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on May 14, 2013, 06:29:17 PM
The next fifteen or so were nonserious attempts at surviving past a month--- usually got stored, or died to poison or something else that didn't have anything to do with being unaware of the wildlife in the regions they lived in. My last five have all lasted more than a month each, gradually increasing their lifespans, more like my patience, but hey.
My last 10 were drastic improvements, longest lived character being a RL year (I know, some do multiple years), includes sorcerer's, psi's, lotsa Whirans and some other elementalists, and a random assassin or ranger tossed in there.

I'm kinda sad there isn't a 100+ option on the poll.  :'(

playing my 110th character
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

26 in just over 3 years.

Hard to believe it's been that long.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

From two years of off and on play, 16 characters. Two listed as stored, a good chunk of them suicided.

On character number two in two and a half years, just started the second.

Both were or are on the extreme side of high risk combat roles.

Rule 1: Don't leave the city alone - make some friends, travel with them.

Rule 2: Don't be stupid - if you wouldn't do it yourself in that situation, why would your character?

Bad luck can get you, but it seems like a pretty huge number of PCs die to the above.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Probably 150, give or take 10? I've been playing since maybe 2005.  What IsFriday said -- I'm adventurous. Lool.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

May 17, 2013, 07:02:06 AM #70 Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:05:59 AM by i can haz mantis
16 in 7 years of play.

They have all been moderately long lived. My second PC was around for nearly 2 RL years of regular play. I've also taken a few extended breaks for several months at a time or there might be a few more with death instead of storage. Most of my deaths have been to ooc stupidity or things beyond my control (like when Ginka used to be less stable). Storage is my most common way of ending a PC.

Mory of the storal: It's okay to be an explorative risk-taker. It's okay to be a careful player. Do what makes you happy, don't worry about the number of PCs you've had or not had. Play the game the way it makes you happy. PC death happens, and that's okay. It just means that you the player, can learn from the mistakes and have fun doing it and put those lessons to work on future PCs. Don't be afraid to store, but if you are thinking it might be an option for you communicate with your staff, step back and take a little break to refresh yourself and examine your role before making your final storage decision. It's not about the quantity of PCs you've had, but the quality at which you've played them and the enjoyment that you take from them. After all, it's still just a game in the end.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

40+ in 21 years of playing

Many storages of roles that sounded better in my mind then when I started playing them.
A few deaths in the wilderness.
Killed by one sorcerer, you never forget those.
I may hold the record for the most number of times the skin command has been used.

I have a ton, a literal ton..thinking up in high 100's maybe low 200's?....I play adventurous and boredom is my killer when I have the freedom to roam. Hence why most of my long lived pcs are the ones I'm restricted in. Lol. I also REALLY enjoy making descriptions and doing that stuff so maybe I'm dying through my subconscious just so I can write up a kickass new toon every now and then?
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

you've probably spent maaad time waiting for char creation titansfan....

and are you from NY?

Nah, from WI.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.