How many characters have you gone through?

Started by Caiden, May 12, 2013, 01:45:47 PM

How many characters have you gone through since you started playing Arm?

0-10
29 (29.3%)
10-20
20 (20.2%)
20-30
14 (14.1%)
30-40
11 (11.1%)
40+
25 (25.3%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: May 26, 2013, 01:45:47 PM

I'm wondering how many characters the wonderful players that inhabit Zalanthas have gone through thus far.

I've been here about a month...  I'm already at 26, but maybe cause I'm a little... adventurous. And I have bad luck. So go figure.

you guys should post how long you've been playing too! :)

I sorta wonder if you are just wanting the hard numbers or some statistics.

The interesting thing about that type question is that Arm has been around for more then 20 years now...Some of us have been around that long and are still under 40 PCs. While I know of some people who have broken 100 PCs in like a year.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

oh, no, just statistically. I don't care about hard numbers, just the rough estimate. Zalanthas is a harsh world, and I feel like I got brutally raped. lol.

but I still have fun dying! This is probably one of the few games that game make me rage quit, and in the middle of my rage I make a new character so it doesn't take forever to get a new character when I cool down. Anyone else share these experiences?

After around 2 years of actual playtime over the past 4 years, I'm on number 5 (one of which comprises 1.5 years of that 2 years).
Alea iacta est

My average these days is probably 1-2 a year.. And that's being generous.. I can play a character for a whole year easy if I really enjoy it. My #1 loss of characters is due to storage.

I honestly can't remember the last time I actually died without wanting to..
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: X-D on May 12, 2013, 01:56:16 PM
I sorta wonder if you are just wanting the hard numbers or some statistics.

The interesting thing about that type question is that Arm has been around for more then 20 years now...Some of us have been around that long and are still under 40 PCs. While I know of some people who have broken 100 PCs in like a year.

Ever had a character just die from old age?

I've been playing for a couple months, maybe? And I've gotten about four or five of them killed. The first lasted three hours in the rinth before he was cut down by some kill-crazy hooded figure. When you start finding bloody loot piles, as I've read elsewhere, it's time to start wondering what might have created them before you start looting.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I think I'm on #147. Started in '07. Lots of adventure rangers, lots of storage....
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

On my 13th character right now. Storage comprises exactly one fourth of my past characters, it does.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

QuoteEver had a character just die from old age?

No, but I think my longest lived PC in game years aged 28 game years...so, no where near where staff would be going...um, Hey bub...
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on May 12, 2013, 02:29:52 PM
QuoteEver had a character just die from old age?

No, but I think my longest lived PC in game years aged 28 game years...so, no where near where staff would be going...um, Hey bub...

thats pretty bad ass. I bet he was the shit

I've been playing this game for almost a year now (whoa, really? It seeme like just yesterday), and I've gone through like four trashy characters that lasted a day or so, and two that I've loved and cherished and put days and days and days of play time into. The short lived characters, I always just feel meh about. But the other two... ohmygod I get so sad when they die in the end and keep almost quitting and convincing myself that I will never have another character as fun to play. So far though, I've always ended up being wrong.

Started October, 2009 and on my 6th PC.
どんと来い、生活の悪循環!!1!11
Quote from: Yam on March 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM
There's really nothing wrong with a pretty boy in a dress.

47 in about 11 and a half years!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

May 12, 2013, 03:28:43 PM #17 Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:36:43 PM by RogueGunslinger
I don't know. Over a hundred, less than 150. Lost my other account so I can't tell for sure.

When I was a nub I went through characters so fast. My favorite part of the game was making new characters with new personalities and seeing how others would react to them.

Lately I live longer. It's been like 5 characters in a year. Most of them around 5 days played with a couple long lived.

That's in about 5-6 years.

I'm in the low 20's, and about 12... years... I think?
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

40+ Started in early 2000s and was on an extended break from about late 2004 to mid last year with a few short spurts in between. I usually find myself getting bored if I'm not dying though! >=D

147 in about 5 years. could be worse, I think.

36 in 10 years.

No storage.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Caiden , I haven't had time to crunch my numbers yet, or check over the forums.  But can I suggest for your next character, you roll in Allanak, spend your sids only on food and drink, sit in the Gaj during game nights,and if you encounter any bynners regularly, chase up their sergeant. The Byn gives teaches you the ooc tricks on staying alive, trains your character,and if you listen, teaches you about the bad things out there, and mixes you with some great RPers.
For your OOC sake, (and for the sake of your character's well being) stick to their rules.
You've been here a month, so you probably know all this already.  ;)
Oh,did I say don't go through the gates by yourself, and don't go north side.
Oh,sorrry...was that a derail?

Been playing almost three years now. I'm on PC number six, I think. Maybe seven.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Been here since 2008. 34 characters. These days my PC's tend to be pretty long lived. Most of those were rangers back in my newbie days.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Two or three years of play, about 30 chars. Earlier characters were solely devoted to exploring the world and learning stuff, rarely lived beyond five or so days of played time. My characters of late are very different, played a lot more sensibly and actually manage to be long-lived.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

List puts it at 91, but that includes maybe 4-5 gladiators and does not include a handful of characters from before the account system went in.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Many, many died before 24 hours of game time.  Sometimes I'm very impatient.
Several stored.

*sigh*

I wish I could reuse some of those names!

3 in a year  ;D
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Remember that the posters on the GDB only represent a vocal minority of the people that play arm and a poll such as this may have no resemblance to the actual statistics.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

I've had 9 PCs and I started playing in 'O2. I've taken about two longish breaks (about 1 RL year both times) during that time frame. One of those PCs was a gladiator. Yeah....my PCs tend to live forever, but I'm pretty conservative a lot of the time too.
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Quote from: DustMight on May 12, 2013, 08:57:42 PM

Phonetics. Additions. Example: Amos can become Aimosius or Aimous.  :P
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: DustMight on May 12, 2013, 08:57:42 PM

You can. Just not as true names, but they can be codewords / names you go by, still.

That said, I'd like this as well. I promise I won't make 10 guys named Amos all in a row.

May 13, 2013, 12:26:04 AM #35 Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:27:42 AM by Bushranger
75 since 2002. A handful before there was an account system. Most of them have only been around for a month or so. Some died rather quickly and a few have lasted for a few months. My dune trader from Red Storm East was the longest at 6 months and he died to a typo! Was a good way to go though, brawling with militia because he'd already slept with the soldiers mate.

Protip to keep your character alive: HIT is used to brawl - not KILL!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

About 11 characters in 6 years, mostly conservatively played Rangers, mainly sort of casual offpeak. Most times I expect to get to 20 days played.

I've been playing for several years and I am still on character 2.

Quote from: Erythil on May 13, 2013, 05:21:30 AM

wow. respect.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 13, 2013, 05:27:22 AM

wow. respect.

The secret is simple: playing non-combatants.

Quote from: Malken on May 12, 2013, 02:03:48 PM
My average these days is probably 1-2 a year.. And that's being generous.. I can play a character for a whole year easy if I really enjoy it. My #1 loss of characters is due to storage.

I honestly can't remember the last time I actually died without wanting to..

I sure am quoting Malken a lot lately, but yep, this.

I average less than a character per year if you don't count extremely short lived storages, i.e. rolling up a Krathi and figuring out in a few hours that I hated it.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Started Jan 2006, currently on #8. Two long lived (for me), one 8 dayer, rest stored/dead with hardly any play time, with current still living. For now. Yeah.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

I've had 19 PCs in 13 years of playing.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

18 in three years, fourth or so of them stored.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I have had 18 characters dating back to 2008.  Out of those characters I have had about 5 or so die, and the rest stored, probably.  I don't end up playing characters that get into too much danger, or I get extremely lucky and make it out alive.  I have had crazy stuff happen, but managed to escape through social combat(thats what I call it at least).  Most of my characters play the social game more than anything and stay inside the walls.

I have had one character last one RL year before dying, and another last 1.5 RL years before being stored.

I actually want to play my next character as a more solo oriented ranger, because I have yet to really experience the "great outdoors" in long stints and this part of the Mud intrigues me nowadays.  We'll see!

Anyways, I think it comes down to personal play-style, luck, and game knowledge or character types.  Everyone is different and everyone has a different experience.

Quote from: AreteX on May 13, 2013, 11:28:25 AM

I actually want to play my next character as a more solo oriented ranger, because I have yet to really experience the "great outdoors" in long stints and this part of the Mud intrigues me nowadays.  We'll see!

I've played this game for years and I've never played a ranger before. I'm getting my feet wet with my next character and trying an outdoorsman.

Ontopic: I took a 4 years break a while ago and forgot my account name and password, so I created a new one a few years back that I've been sticking with. Since then I've played 12 characters, though two were stored shortly after creation as I was trying out personalities that I found I really didn't like (they were both the same personalities too, you'd think I'd learn).

Of the remaining 10, 5 were fairly long-lived (6-10 months) and 1 I'm still playing. I tend to play the social game more than anything else, though I've dipped into more combat oriented roles...

... But only with my merchants.

I honestly do not remember if I started playing in 2000 or 2001, but I know it was before I was out of High School.  Took a couple year break between 2003 and 2005.

I'm currently on character #88.  Quite a number of Rangers and Warriors and a plethora of Elementalists.  For the majority of my early Arm-years I wanted to get out and explore, explore, fight, fight, etc.  It wasn't until around #74 that I started to feel like I was starting to understand how to actually play a living, breathing character.  I think that was just before the great karama-off..I remember asking Staff to remove my magicker karma until I felt like I could handle the option, again.

I'm horrible at remembering specific times and time periods..
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Currently at 21, from 2006 (when I started) to 2013.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I'm on 25 now 3 years played.  1 of my characters was played for almost a year though.

I make risky character concepts that do risky things so its not a surprise when they end up dying.   Some of my Deaths have come from my characters following orders, which was in character for those characters.  I am proud that I was able to stay in character.  Some of my deaths are just stupid though.  Fall in hole (subdue beetle).  Think I can drag this thing that is way bigger than me out of this hole.   That sort of thing.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Erythil on May 13, 2013, 06:27:38 AM

wow. respect.

I did try non-combatants, they didn't fare any better :(

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 13, 2013, 06:20:44 PM
Quote from: Erythil on May 13, 2013, 06:27:38 AM

wow. respect.

I did try non-combatants, they didn't fare any better :(

Les chance of death, more chance of storage. In my experience... With that one noncombat role I did... that one time...

Maybe I should give that another try.

Started 2000-ish.    On character #15.

15 in five years (yesterday!!).  One stored.  A couple of long lived (over a rl year), the rest went and did stupid things and died of thirst, wildlife, greed, following other players with slow ass response times to mets charging in...like that.

Non-combatants did not do all that much better than those wandering the wilds wearing a g-string and armed with a pointy stick.

Heh, not really. There have been people with MANY more PCs in a 1-2 month period, some of them played by long term players.

Besides, number of PCs means nothing, what matters is if you are having fun. If keeping every PC alive for 2 RL years and 200 days played is fun to you, Great. If  playing every PC like Leeeeroooyyy Jeeenkiiiinnnsss! is your thing...Great. Though as you can see by posts and poll, most people fall in between. I have had 3 PCs in a month then one for 18 months...Of course when they go over a year I usually store.
Lizzie:

Quote from: Caiden on May 13, 2013, 10:38:37 PM
I just have some baaaad ass luck guys.

Whatever, you're new...dying a lot is practically a right of passage!  The fact that you haven't thrown your keyboard across the room and ragequit is a good sign.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

May 13, 2013, 11:46:09 PM #56 Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:03:29 PM by LauraMars
Here's how many characters I've had - been playing since August, 2005.  Check this out - towards the end of this list there are many more stored characters than dead ones.

1)  - Dead
 2) - Dead
 3)  - Dead
 4)  - Dead
 5) - Stored
 6)  - Stored
 7)  - Dead
 8 )  - Dead
 9) - Stored
 10)  - Dead
 11)  - Dead
 12)  - Dead
 13)  - Dead
 14)  - Dead
 15)  - Dead
 16)  - Dead
 17)  - Dead
 18)  - Stored
 19)  - Dead
 20)  - Dead
 21)  - Dead
 22)  - Stored
 23)  - Stored
 24)  - Stored
 25)  - Dead
 26)  - Stored
 27)  - Stored
 28)  - Stored
 29)  - Stored
 30)  - Dead
 31)  - Alive
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I've been playing a month, and have one character. She's still kicking.

Quote from: PriestlySiren on May 14, 2013, 03:50:05 AM
Aaand you jinxed it :P
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

On my 40th in about 7 years of playing.

I'm all across in the board in my characters' longevity. Quite a few one day or less played. Decent amount of 3-4 months. Couple 1-2 years.  I think my worst was 3 or 4 characters in the span of a week. Shit happens. Living dangerously is more fun for me :)

Quote from: tiptoe on May 14, 2013, 05:54:37 AM
On my 40th in about 7 years of playing.

I'm all across in the board in my characters' longevity. Quite a few one day or less played. Decent amount of 3-4 months. Couple 1-2 years.  I think my worst was 3 or 4 characters in the span of a week. Shit happens. Living dangerously is more fun for me :)

Can't stop staring at... avatar... must... look.... cannot resist!

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 14, 2013, 04:27:40 AM
Aaand you jinxed it :P
Hey... I've had a character very similar to this one on a different, but equally dangerous game (the staff is massively bored):
1. Get shot through the leg with an arrow by a bandit - 2nd RL day played
2. Have an exploding bomb go off in the same room - same day
3. Have an exploding bomb lobbed at her own head - next day.
4. Get shot again, and backstabbed - day after.
5. Get poisoned with a sleeping drug and threatened by a gang when she woke up - a week or so later.
6. Mass attacked by scorpions - a couple weeks later
7. 24 scorpions on 5 people - a few days later
8. Random bear attack! - a couple weeks later
9. PACK OF WOLVES ATTACK! - ten seconds after the bear is killed
10. Nearly got arrested - a few days later.
11. Giant predator lizard chased her - few days after that
12. Fell down a cliff only to explore a cave.
13. Touched a sorcerer's wand, only to have it burn the fuck out of her hand.
14. Lizard makes another appearance - it keeps aggroing on me randomly, so the staff have to keep restoring me, because it isn't actually attacking me.

If you live through all this in about three RL months.... going on a couple dangerous rides seems like nothing. Particularly when your character is convinced that ANYTHING could kill her. That's key to surviving. Know that everything can kill you, and run when you think they're about to.

My first 40, 45 were Find and Know Everything A Mundane Can Know About All Outdoor Rooms Ever Fuck Living pcs. The next fifteen or so were nonserious attempts at surviving past a month--- usually got stored, or died to poison or something else that didn't have anything to do with being unaware of the wildlife in the regions they lived in. My last five have all lasted more than a month each, gradually increasing their lifespans, more like my patience, but hey.

Kind of sad, though, I mean, the first forty? I realized some time after I've scratched that body-length itch that I know maybe one-fourth of all outdoor rooms in the game. Probably one-fifth. God this game is amazing.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on May 14, 2013, 06:29:17 PM
My first 40, 45 were Find and Know Everything A Mundane Can Know About All Outdoor Rooms Ever Fuck Living pcs.
We apparently have something in common.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on May 14, 2013, 06:29:17 PM
The next fifteen or so were nonserious attempts at surviving past a month--- usually got stored, or died to poison or something else that didn't have anything to do with being unaware of the wildlife in the regions they lived in. My last five have all lasted more than a month each, gradually increasing their lifespans, more like my patience, but hey.
My last 10 were drastic improvements, longest lived character being a RL year (I know, some do multiple years), includes sorcerer's, psi's, lotsa Whirans and some other elementalists, and a random assassin or ranger tossed in there.

I'm kinda sad there isn't a 100+ option on the poll.  :'(

playing my 110th character
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

26 in just over 3 years.

Hard to believe it's been that long.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

From two years of off and on play, 16 characters. Two listed as stored, a good chunk of them suicided.

On character number two in two and a half years, just started the second.

Both were or are on the extreme side of high risk combat roles.

Rule 1: Don't leave the city alone - make some friends, travel with them.

Rule 2: Don't be stupid - if you wouldn't do it yourself in that situation, why would your character?

Bad luck can get you, but it seems like a pretty huge number of PCs die to the above.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Probably 150, give or take 10? I've been playing since maybe 2005.  What IsFriday said -- I'm adventurous. Lool.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

May 17, 2013, 07:02:06 AM #70 Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:05:59 AM by i can haz mantis
16 in 7 years of play.

They have all been moderately long lived. My second PC was around for nearly 2 RL years of regular play. I've also taken a few extended breaks for several months at a time or there might be a few more with death instead of storage. Most of my deaths have been to ooc stupidity or things beyond my control (like when Ginka used to be less stable). Storage is my most common way of ending a PC.

Mory of the storal: It's okay to be an explorative risk-taker. It's okay to be a careful player. Do what makes you happy, don't worry about the number of PCs you've had or not had. Play the game the way it makes you happy. PC death happens, and that's okay. It just means that you the player, can learn from the mistakes and have fun doing it and put those lessons to work on future PCs. Don't be afraid to store, but if you are thinking it might be an option for you communicate with your staff, step back and take a little break to refresh yourself and examine your role before making your final storage decision. It's not about the quantity of PCs you've had, but the quality at which you've played them and the enjoyment that you take from them. After all, it's still just a game in the end.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

40+ in 21 years of playing

Many storages of roles that sounded better in my mind then when I started playing them.
A few deaths in the wilderness.
Killed by one sorcerer, you never forget those.
I may hold the record for the most number of times the skin command has been used.

I have a ton, a literal ton..thinking up in high 100's maybe low 200's?....I play adventurous and boredom is my killer when I have the freedom to roam. Hence why most of my long lived pcs are the ones I'm restricted in. Lol. I also REALLY enjoy making descriptions and doing that stuff so maybe I'm dying through my subconscious just so I can write up a kickass new toon every now and then?
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

you've probably spent maaad time waiting for char creation titansfan....

and are you from NY?

Nah, from WI.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Five in three years. Two of those died, and with one of those, I was being kind of reckless, wanting to see stuff - reached two and a bit days played.

Same here, actually. Not for lack of trying, though. Weird.

About 88 chars since 2007.

Think I only really cared about five or six.

I had gone through 202. But got reset sometime in 2001 so now my list shows a healthy but not awful 65!

So about 225 since 1992.

That includes at least one character who lived over 65days played.

and many over 30days.

And so many that actually died more than once in the first 3 hours its painful.

Quote from: Valincio on May 29, 2013, 04:43:11 AM

Same here, actually. Not for lack of trying, though. Weird.

IKR. I think of the dangerous cool ways to die, and actually get myself in the situation once in a while, but it isn't working!

I have been playing for 11 days. I started my 2nd character 5 days ago.

11 days total since starting with an average lifespan of 5 & 1/2 days -- the day is already half over in my timezone and I'm still alive so I think I'm safe.

For now... I hope... Oh please Drov don't let me die because I said that...
"I wouldn't go that way if I were you, there are two thumpers eyeing you from the alley and waiting to brain you. Maybe if you twist His Arm with some black they'll disappear. They'll stab them in the squinters and make their eyes glow like Jihae."

I've been playing actively for around half a year, still on my first character.

Quote from: Hitsuchi on May 29, 2013, 03:27:31 PM
I've been playing actively for around half a year, still on my first character.

Tell us who you play. We can fix that for you!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."