More apartments?

Started by Antigone, May 11, 2013, 05:36:16 PM

Quote from: Adhira on May 11, 2013, 11:54:32 PM
Apartments are on my shortlist of projects.  You will see changes to these in game in the next few months.  Right now this is delayed because the apartment code needs some updates to make it do the things we need.

This doesn't mean you will see apartments everywhere, or even where you want them to be.  And as many others have stated, there are IC reasons that there are none in Luirs, and it will remain that way.

I'de still like to know where all the luirs citizens live!

Not trying to give you a hard time. Just saying :)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

People have pointed out the tent shanty town in the Bailey.  Luirs citizenzhip isn't really very meaningful if you aren't a Kuraci. 
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

We appreciate your hard work, Adhira.  :)

Also, if you ain't Kuraci you don't really belong in a sturdy dwelling in Luirs.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 11, 2013, 11:06:34 PM
Quote from: ShaLeah on May 11, 2013, 10:31:08 PM
What about a tent campground? I could see a tent campground.

There -is- a tent campground, running around the perimeter of Luir's, from the south gate to the north. It's called the Bailey. If you want space there, you could probably try and arrange it ICly. No idea if you'll succeed, but that's where you'd try. Be the change, and all that.

Yes but can you pitch a tent and stay codewise is the question. That should be allowed in that area.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: Adhira on May 12, 2013, 12:03:56 AM
People have pointed out the tent shanty town in the Bailey.  Luirs citizenzhip isn't really very meaningful if you aren't a Kuraci. 

Never came across that. I'm so checking that out next time I play an indie.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on May 11, 2013, 11:37:33 PM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 11, 2013, 10:17:43 PM
More apartments for Allanak and Red Storm would be nice but a definite and resounding 'NO' for Luirs.

It's that way for a reason, which can be totally found out IC.

Kurac needs 100% control over Luir's Outpost to continue to enforce their no-bullshit laws, to the word. An apartment means privacy. Privacy from Kurac. Kurac, no matter the rank, should be able to survey and patrol nearly 100% of the Outpost without being hindered, in any way.

It's a fortified Outpost, with a section used for trading since they rake in profits from the trade taxes, etc. Other then acting as a glorified waypoint, Luirs shouldn't be more than that.

Make 0 sense. Because there are people that live there! Where do they live?

Yes, people live in little lean-to's and half-made tents. They don't live behind closed doors. Kurac can easily patrol and police them, if necessary.

Like it was mentioned earlier, people in Luir's may "live" there but, if Kurac wanted, they could throw them out at the drop of a hat. Luir's may be where you say you "live" but you're just visiting for an extended period of time.

I personally don't want to see Luir's with apartments. Having played in the clan, myself, as one of the enforcers of law - I only see it as a detriment towards the "Kurac owns everything here" gritty feeling that Luir's currently gives.

Regardless, as far as apartment's in Luir's Outpost goes - It's a matter brought up, many times in the past, and the Staff will always respond with a firm 'No', even if everyone on the GDB were to beg and plead for it.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Be the change, I like the sound of that!

As for Luir's, that place sees plenty of foot traffic, but I agree, would be nice to safely store shit there... I think even shorter-term storage would be ideal. I can see people wanting to pay 50 to 100 coins for an easy lockbox.

Can we code a way for people to have access to lockboxes? Searchable by the Fist, of course. No privacy, just safe storage. Kurac would make a killing..
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

There are already houses in Luir's, they're simply empty and not available for rent or use. My apologies, but I don't see the point behind that.
Quote from: staff
A staff member sends:
     "Likely a flub in the machine. It does not understand birthdays! (But it understands death like no one's business.)"

Quote from: Zul on May 12, 2013, 06:47:16 AM
There are already houses in Luir's, they're simply empty and not available for rent or use. My apologies, but I don't see the point behind that.

The safe assumption would be that any permanent residencies within the walls of Luir's are exclusively reserved for members and servants of House Kurac. Not every Kuraci sleeps in the garrison barracks.

This is my personal opinion, but one of the underlying themes of Armageddon is the lack of stability and safety for most people. Independent commoners are lucky if they have shelter at night. Very, very few of them have safe shelter. Most live in cramped tenements with barely passable locks and don't own anything valuable because they have no chance to amass wealth and no ability to secure that wealth.

Player characters are the exception to an extent, but they will never have truly safe or stable independent housing. There just isn't much nice real estate in Allanak that isn't taken up by the nobility or the great merchant houses. This is normal. Your character may have ten thousand coins in the bank, but they are still a nobody commoner on the lowest rung of society. If they are forced to live in a smelly tenement with locks made out of sticks, that's just the way she goes.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on May 12, 2013, 06:58:58 AM
The safe assumption would be that any permanent residencies within the walls of Luir's are exclusively reserved for members and servants of House Kurac. Not every Kuraci sleeps in the garrison barracks.

I'm less inclined to delve into the realm of assuming and more inclined to be given a straight answer.

The descriptions themselves (in at least one or two of the residences) indicate or at the very least hint at the likelihood that the residence itself is not intended to house a member or high-ranking employee of Kurac.
A staff member sends:
     "Likely a flub in the machine. It does not understand birthdays! (But it understands death like no one's business.)"

Quote from: Zul on May 12, 2013, 07:24:09 AM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on May 12, 2013, 06:58:58 AM

I'm less inclined to delve into the realm of assuming and more inclined to be given a straight answer.

The descriptions themselves (in at least one or two of the residences) indicate or at the very least hint at the likelihood that the residence itself is not intended to house a member or high-ranking employee of Kurac.

If you don't want assumptions or speculation, the answer is find out IC.

Please don't fall back on that tired, worn out phrase.

I'm asking for a definitive answer from staff because on a previous character with the means and approval to check each and every individual place of residence in Luir's, I came to the realization that nearly all of these houses surrounding the market and tavern were a) empty and b) devoid of life.
A staff member sends:

Many areas of the game are inhabited virtually. Send in a request if you have specific questions. This is not a subject for the GDB.

There are 'apartments' in Luirs but they are rented out manually by Kurac for very specific reasons to very specific people for short-term periods.

You guys.

Luir's is never going to have apartments. The reasons are pretty clear. I don't think bringing up the point repeatedly is going to make anyone more inclined to make this farfetched and completely unrealistic, gamewise, idea come to life. :P
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

At first, I thought the idea of increased profit through Kurac renting out apartments to non Kuracci residents sounded reasonable, but then after a bit of thinking I realized this would increase demands for resources in the area, increasing tensions with elven and human tribals and quite likely the gith (though, that's pretty tense already) who, from what the docs lead me to believe, depend on those resources for survival, and might quickly resort to violence after diplomacy has failed. Also, increased demand for resources would drive up prices, making things harder for everyone.

I don't know if there's much water in the surrounding areas, or if it's trucked in or maybe conjured up by vivaduans, and suspect that if I asked the answer would be find out in game... So I don't know how the water situation would work out, but the demand for food and raw materials (construction, clothing, tents, tarps, etc.), would jump quite a bit, I would assume.

The growth of cities hinges hugely on the efficiency of food production, I've heard, don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds reasonable enough. Major growth usually happens after some new agricultural development allows it to, or so I've been told.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I've thought now and then that it would be nice to have a place you could rent for a RL day, or even a few hours, to find some privacy for a clandestine (or romantic) meeting or to get out of your armor for a boxing tournament or some time in the ginka wrestling ring.

Quote from: Refugee on May 12, 2013, 02:09:15 PM
I've thought now and then that it would be nice to have a place you could rent for a RL day, or even a few hours, to find some privacy for a clandestine (or romantic) meeting or to get out of your armor for a boxing tournament or some time in the ginka wrestling ring.
These exist.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on May 12, 2013, 02:11:07 PM
These exist.
Seriously?!

Quote from: Refugee on May 12, 2013, 02:12:15 PM
These exist.
Seriously?!

Probably not in the way you would want it to be.. You can rent 'rooms' for a little while, but the moment you leave it, then you can't go back in without renting it again. You can't really have your own little place for just a day.

Unless I'm wrong, of course.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

May 12, 2013, 03:22:28 PM #47 Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:28:57 PM by Fredd
Edited because I am dumb

Quote from: Malken on May 12, 2013, 02:14:19 PM
Quote from: Refugee on May 12, 2013, 02:12:15 PM
These exist.
Seriously?!

Probably not in the way you would want it to be.. You can rent 'rooms' for a little while, but the moment you leave it, then you can't go back in without renting it again. You can't really have your own little place for just a day.

Unless I'm wrong, of course.

This is correct but I always forget the code and which taverns do this. I know the Gaj does. It's probably "rent me". But I'm not positive. Anyone know for sure?

It is "rent me" and it works in almost all taverns. You can get multiple people in there too!