More apartments?

Started by Antigone, May 11, 2013, 05:36:16 PM

Seems like there's a huge demand for apartments (at least in nak), especially with new players coming in, does anyone else think having more would be appropriate?

My personal opinion:

Allanak - yes
Tuluk - no
Luir's - yes
Red Storm - cheaper apartments

May 11, 2013, 06:13:02 PM #2 Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:16:08 PM by Molten Heart
More is much better.  However more of the apartments should come with better locks, and that could be reflected in the price.  It's cool if a place is 800 every half month if the place as a good enough lock (I'm not saying the best but something that only a burglar could open).
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I've been saying Luirs needs housing for like... 4 years. Tried twice to propose it ICly too.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Luirs could use a small small apartment building. 5-10 crappy apartment rooms. BUT it's apparently never going to happen because Luirs isn't suppose to grow beyond the clan population cap of Kurac.

I'm fairly sure the staff has already said no to it and investing 50 large into an apartment building probably wont see one built anyways.

Housing in Luir's.. Really doesn't stroke with its purpose well, IMO. Realism trumps playability here, I'd say, and even then Luir's isn't less playable for not having apartments.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Be kind of neat if you could rent a room in Luirs for an ingame week at a time.

Quote from: Patuk on May 11, 2013, 06:51:45 PM
Housing in Luir's.. Really doesn't stroke with its purpose well, IMO. Realism trumps playability here, I'd say, and even then Luir's isn't less playable for not having apartments.

I'd argue apartments are fairly important for independents to set up shop. 'But flinch why would Kurac want independants to set up shop?'...money, maybe direct income from owning the apartment building, increasing the overall economy..Oh and oocly adding to the area's PC population to have more RP in Luirs. Play numbers are higher than they use to be I hear, I think we can distribute 2-5 active players to Luirs as a non-kurac citizens.

I used to think it'd be great if Luir's had apartments, but I'm glad they don't. It'd ruin the whole concept of an "outpost" there. It's not a city, it's not a public place. It's a privately owned walled-in bit of dirt, and you are an invited guest and welcome to come in and hang out, and trade, until you give them reason to toss you out. You aren't welcome to take up residence there. Only Kuracis are entitled to do that - and even most of those don't have private rooms for themselves.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Not to mention Luir's already caters to independents, they are called tribals, and they are heavily represented in the outpost. But they have their own homes to go back to. though I think some pass out from the day of trade and evening of drinking in their shops or trade tents.

If an independent wanted to set up operation like the others, then maybe they need to make a deal and get a tent in the market, like the other tribes do. Though I am sure there are many hoops to jump through.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

If anything, I could see Luir's opening a sort of bunkhouse. Pay a certain amount, get access to a number of beds for a week or two. Pay more, get a room for a week or two. No permanent residency unless it's in the best interest of Kurac and Luir's and in which case you're probably better off trying to join them. I see that being as far as it goes, with the little experience I've had.

May 11, 2013, 07:23:42 PM #11 Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:40:13 PM by Fredd
Quote from: Lizzie on May 11, 2013, 07:08:06 PM
I used to think it'd be great if Luir's had apartments, but I'm glad they don't. It'd ruin the whole concept of an "outpost" there. It's not a city, it's not a public place. It's a privately owned walled-in bit of dirt, and you are an invited guest and welcome to come in and hang out, and trade, until you give them reason to toss you out. You aren't welcome to take up residence there. Only Kuracis are entitled to do that - and even most of those don't have private rooms for themselves.

If that's the case, why can i buy citizenship?

Edit:

There are people that live there whole lives there that aren't Kuraci's. So why is it pc's can't have a home there? It doesn't make any sense.

I plead the chewbaca defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

It would make sense for Luir's to have rentable spaces. A sort of hotel, maybe? Can only buy lodging for 10 days at a time, or something?

Quote from: TheBadSeed on May 11, 2013, 07:37:54 PM
It would make sense for Luir's to have rentable spaces. A sort of hotel, maybe? Can only buy lodging for 10 days at a time, or something?

+1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

More apartments for Allanak and Red Storm would be nice but a definite and resounding 'NO' for Luirs.

It's that way for a reason, which can be totally found out IC.

Kurac needs 100% control over Luir's Outpost to continue to enforce their no-bullshit laws, to the word. An apartment means privacy. Privacy from Kurac. Kurac, no matter the rank, should be able to survey and patrol nearly 100% of the Outpost without being hindered, in any way.

It's a fortified Outpost, with a section used for trading since they rake in profits from the trade taxes, etc. Other then acting as a glorified waypoint, Luirs shouldn't be more than that.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

What about a tent campground? I could see a tent campground.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

You are more likely to have apartments in the Blackwing Outpost than Luirs Outpost.

Heh.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

The only logical type of housing in Luir's I could imagine is in the shanty town outside of the Outer Yard's gates.  It is where the shopkeepers from the market go to live, it is where many of the guests actually stay (you think the End is gonna let you stay for a whole month in their private rooms?  Ha!).  You might notice there are a bunch of actually coded tents in the shanty town ...  they function almost exactly how you think a tent campground would.  Do we need more of them?  I don't think so.

Such a place is more fitting for those with a nomadic lifestyle, though.  Living out of your backpack.  Only crafting/trading what you need for the week.  The progression would be very slow, and your lifestyle would be gritty, and difficult.

Anyway, just a thought, I heard Allanak was pretty gritty, too.

Quote from: ShaLeah on May 11, 2013, 10:31:08 PM
What about a tent campground? I could see a tent campground.

There -is- a tent campground, running around the perimeter of Luir's, from the south gate to the north. It's called the Bailey. If you want space there, you could probably try and arrange it ICly. No idea if you'll succeed, but that's where you'd try. Be the change, and all that.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I agree with the no Luirs apartments sentiment. I also agree with adding another building of apartments to Nak, maybe. A more expensive one similar to the other more expensive one would be freakin' sweet.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 11, 2013, 10:17:43 PM
More apartments for Allanak and Red Storm would be nice but a definite and resounding 'NO' for Luirs.

It's that way for a reason, which can be totally found out IC.

Kurac needs 100% control over Luir's Outpost to continue to enforce their no-bullshit laws, to the word. An apartment means privacy. Privacy from Kurac. Kurac, no matter the rank, should be able to survey and patrol nearly 100% of the Outpost without being hindered, in any way.

It's a fortified Outpost, with a section used for trading since they rake in profits from the trade taxes, etc. Other then acting as a glorified waypoint, Luirs shouldn't be more than that.

Make 0 sense. Because there are people that live there! Where do they live?

I'd rather see more mid-range/crappy apartments than expensive ones, personally.

Quote from: Delirium on May 11, 2013, 11:42:00 PM
I'd rather see more mid-range/crappy apartments than expensive ones, personally.

Yeah, there's kind of a mismatch between crappy apartment availability and the two major cities' respective general PC culture, isn't there?

Apartments are on my shortlist of projects.  You will see changes to these in game in the next few months.  Right now this is delayed because the apartment code needs some updates to make it do the things we need.

This doesn't mean you will see apartments everywhere, or even where you want them to be.  And as many others have stated, there are IC reasons that there are none in Luirs, and it will remain that way.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.