PC Stalls

Started by Fredd, April 04, 2013, 02:56:58 PM

Yeah, I know it's probably been suggested. But each city has area's that would serve well with player owned shops. one city even hass a whole section that would wark perfectly.

I think you should be able to hire a shop keeper, and based on salary, and so on, this would reflect there watch haggle, and value skill.

And I think you should have a way of robbing these things. Because...All things in Balance.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Yeah would be so cool, you could just dump all the stuff you wanted to sell on him, and he would close up when it was all gone (or night time came around, but then reopen in the morning)....then he'd take a cut as his pay.

Or her even.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Eh...

The PCs that would be capable of using such a system profitably already have no problem making coin.  This would just serve to take half the actual work (and interaction!) out of it.

Doesn't ring my chimes, but that's just me. Take the npc out of the equation and it's perhaps more interesting.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on April 04, 2013, 03:09:05 PM
Doesn't ring my chimes, but that's just me. Take the npc out of the equation and it's perhaps more interesting.

That is a pretty interesting scenario. Like, exit out of the game in the shop to be your own shopkeep. I LOVE IT!
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I don't dig this idea.  It's not meant for a MUD.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

April 04, 2013, 03:52:54 PM #6 Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:54:36 PM by Morrolan
The thing is, we're already doing this, we just don't get ownership and branding.

Codedly, this would be (almost) identical to the current shopkeepers.

The debate should thus be: is the ownership and branding of sales outside of the merchant houses something that would improve Arm overall?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Way against a PC turning into an NPC.

In support of PCs using ldesc and arrange to represent they have a stall, leading to interaction with players who want to trade, and the powers that govern the area they are selling out of.

I changed my mind. Maybe just areas that PC's were allowed to populate and sell their stuff at, with 'display' tables and such that allowed other PC's to look at and view stuff (like display cases)...but only the PC could take stuff in and out of.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on April 04, 2013, 04:13:45 PM
I changed my mind. Maybe just areas that PC's were allowed to populate and sell their stuff at, with 'display' tables and such that allowed other PC's to look at and view stuff (like display cases) ...

Yeah, cool.  That sounds fun.  I'm imagining a scene where a PC merchant opens up their display, and another PC merchant opens up across the street, and they have a stare off.

... but only the PC could take stuff in and out of.

Or thieves, yes.

I think there are display cases when you can look at the contents' descriptions.  I'd definitely like to see those be more common.

Or also something simpler like a display mat you can "hold" that behaves the same way.

You can sit on a rug, and put items on display on it that other people can look at.

Right, but that also makes stealing those items trivial (unless there's a bit of code attached to them that I'm not aware of).

Can't you get a very similar experience by joining house kadius or salarr?
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

There are items IG that can be worn that can also have items placed on them for display (very similar to the sash / strap code used by some clan livery items). They are great for allowing PCs to see the items you are selling without opening them up for rampant, uncoded theft. I don't believe they allow others to see the items mDescs, however.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I'm all for pc's pitching a tent in the market and hawking. Not crazy about every Tom and Dick indie having their own NPC run store.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

In my experience, nobody just took the things off the rug and went off with them.

I think it'd be fair to give players the benefit of the doubt here and a bit of trust not to do wanky things like that. If they want to try and codedly steal them, fair play!

Quote from: musashi on April 04, 2013, 06:35:24 PM
I'm all for pc's pitching a tent in the market and hawking. Not crazy about every Tom and Dick indie having their own NPC run store.

I don't think tents are coded for city use, but yeah, this would be fun.

Right now you have to settle for a rug.

I think the problem with the display cases and such is that you can't 'view' the items within them...you can't get a good look at them the same way you can with items in an NPC store. If that was adjusted that would be cool...Also...something that you didn't have to actually hold (like a table vs. a case around your neck).

Quote from: Marauder Moe on April 04, 2013, 03:03:15 PM
Eh...

The PCs that would be capable of using such a system profitably already have no problem making coin.  This would just serve to take half the actual work (and interaction!) out of it.

Not every change needs to be weighed against a PC being able to profit or not.  Sometimes ideas just add functionality/realism to the world.  Being able to set up a shop for a huge fee is potentially one of those ideas.

Ehhh my preference goes out to selling to PC's anyway, in person. It affects the game mechanics in a positive way, creates RP and it's just fun, rather than dragging your stuff from shop to shop, waiting for another crash to happen.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I remember this being suggested many years ago and it still seems like a good idea.
It was pointed out then that a PC change just change his Ldesc to make it seem as if he were standing in the stall selling things to passer-by.

What this kinda does is create a personal merchant NPC that will buy your stuff (at a discount) and circumvents that current 5 item limit on the current NPC shopkeepers and possibly gives one a place to sell stuff that normally wouldn't sell to an NPC.

I support the idea, though, especially if the NPC stalls could be ripped off.

Quote from: DustMight on April 04, 2013, 07:56:57 PM
possibly gives one a place to sell stuff that normally wouldn't sell to an NPC.

Like liquid containers. -.-

Quote from: maxid on April 04, 2013, 06:48:28 PM
Being able to set up a shop for a huge fee is potentially one of those ideas.

This is exactly the kind of problem/opportunity that will occur as players get better at having their characters stay alive.

One of the challenges in Arm is continuity. We are forced to rely on staff for continuity, because of a number of related factors:

• Characters don't often live full lives. Their lives are cut off, tragically. The average character lives something like 2 RL weeks.
  • We might complain that the game economy is "broken" -- but we sometimes to ignore (to judge by conversation on the GDB) that Zalanthas is not a capitalist society, and has different underlying assumptions about wealth and power.
  • Characters often lack many of the basic social ties that make continuity possible IRL. They rarely raise kids. They rarely have parents, especially onscreen. They rarely have known even their closest companions more than a couple of years.
  • Changes in the game world are not organic. They must be coded by a group of volunteers.

Still, as players get more skill, characters will rise in power. Characters who rise in power may actually be able to effect change.

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Plus, it's not a idle at your stall like in some graphical MMORPG's.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points