PC Stalls

Started by Fredd, April 04, 2013, 02:56:58 PM

Quote from: Barzalene on April 05, 2013, 02:28:54 PM
I hate debate. So please understand I am actually asking not for an argument, but for clarification, why all the positives you list are more likely with an npc rather than pc shopkeeper?

I'm not trying to debate you or win the Internet, but fair enough.

I believe the positives I listed above can be realized with an NPC because NPCS do not have lives outside the game. Players do (I hope).

Sadly, I can only play so much out of the day.
Quote from: staff
A staff member sends:
     "Likely a flub in the machine. It does not understand birthdays! (But it understands death like no one's business.)"

Because the reality of a PC shopkeeper is that they will spend all their IG days alone and bored stood in the market surrounded by NPC's and vNPC's who don't want their wares with very little real PC interaction. I like to think NPC's can talk to other NPC's.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

What do NPC shopkeepers have to do with any of those positives?  ???

Quote from: bcw81 on April 05, 2013, 02:07:04 PM
Quote from: Malken on April 05, 2013, 01:46:18 PMPeople are always afraid of new things on Arm, that it'll take away interaction if we introduce it to the game, like apartments at first, then PC storehouses, and now PC stalls..
What I'm afraid of in a system like suggested is that people will treat it like Achaea's system. In that there is no rhyme nor reason why "Herbs and Turds" is selling a selection of legwear, underwear, swords, and absolutely no herbs or turds. A system like mentioned would mean that PC merchants who want to be indy would basically just be doing exactly what they already do - Selling everything they make to an NPC - however, if this were added it would mean that they could sell -everything- to said merchant instead of having to wait for their stock to decrease/financial assets to increase.

Note that doing that would mean that actually needing to speak to a PC to get yourself a small item would become non-existent. While that is not entirely bad in and of itself, I do think it would take away from playing a... You know... Merchant.

Perhapse a specific liscense to sell specific wares in a stall?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I hate debate. So please understand I am actually asking not for an argument, but for clarification, why all the positives you list are more likely with an npc rather than pc shopkeeper?

That's pretty easy to answer..

Because with an NPC shopkeeper, you can go ahead and set up the items you want sold and have someone do the 'coded' part of what's boring and annoying about owning a shop would be like. So instead of sitting on a rug in the middle of nowhere, holding a case with a bunch of items that would make absolutely no sense sitting in said case, like a few wooden planks, three bows, two sets of obsidian breastplates and a Tuluki flag, you could just dump all these items in a storeroom and it would be displayed by the NPC shopkeeper as the items on sale, like a normal shop would be.

This way, the PC can then go back to the Sanctuary and advertise his shop and what he sells, instead of sitting in the Red Sun Commons for hours being bored to death.

And as for the 'being able to steal' part of the game, you could just have it setup like an apartment, as someone said.. The items would still sit physically in a room, just like the 'sids paid for said items would then be transferred to the storeroom. So any thieves who could manage to get into the storeroom would then have access to the items/sids.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on April 05, 2013, 02:34:42 PM

That's pretty easy to answer..

Because with an NPC shopkeeper, you can go ahead and set up the items you want sold and have someone do the 'coded' part of what's boring and annoying about owning a shop would be like. So instead of sitting on a rug in the middle of nowhere, holding a case with a bunch of items that would make absolutely no sense sitting in said case, like a few wooden planks, three bows, two sets of obsidian breastplates and a Tuluki flag, you could just dump all these items in a storeroom and it would be displayed by the NPC shopkeeper as the items on sale, like a normal shop would be.

This way, the PC can then go back to the Sanctuary and advertise his shop and what he sells, instead of sitting in the Red Sun Commons for hours being bored to death.

And as for the 'being able to steal' part of the game, you could just have it setup like an apartment, as someone said.. The items would still sit physically in a room, just like the 'sids paid for said items would then be transferred to the storeroom. So any thieves who could manage to get into the storeroom would then have access to the items/sids.

Malken. it's like you took my original ramblings, and turned them into what it should have been. Bravo, good man. Bravo.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Do not want.

It is already possible to have a PC ran shop in game. I have seen it done, and done well.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

There is literally no other coded profession in game that will allow you to go mudsex while you make money. Why do you want to add one? Making coins should not be something that just happens even when you're logged out (if you're a commoner).

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on April 05, 2013, 03:31:31 PM
There is literally no other coded profession in game that will allow you to go mudsex while you make money. Why do you want to add one? Making coins should not be something that just happens even when you're logged out (if you're a non-GMH commoner) and don't have minions.

I agree, but there are a couple of exceptions.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on April 05, 2013, 04:03:48 PM
There is literally no other coded profession in game that will allow you to go mudsex while you make money. Why do you want to add one? Making coins should not be something that just happens even when you're logged out (if you're a non-GMH commoner) and don't have minions.

I agree, but there are a couple of exceptions.

Coded professions. Coded.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on April 05, 2013, 04:09:39 PM

Then there still wouldn't be. Renting a stall wouldn't be a "coded profession."

Maybe I'm not clear on what a "coded profession" is?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on April 05, 2013, 04:20:54 PM
Quote from: Patuk on April 05, 2013, 04:09:39 PM

Then there still wouldn't be. Renting a stall wouldn't be a "coded profession."

Maybe I'm not clear on what a "coded profession" is?
A profession handled by the code instead of by straight RP, such as, but not limited to, having NPC's do things for you with a command, foraging for salts, etc.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

April 05, 2013, 05:07:16 PM #62 Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:12:57 PM by Morrolan
Yeah, but it's not a "profession" if it's open to anyone who can scrape together the coin to rent a stall.

EDIT:

And it requires other players to buy the items, as well. It's really not an automated money maker at all.

You guys are forgetting that this PC would have to make or acquire the goods to sell via this stall, and cut a profit while doing so.

There is literally no other coded profession in game that will allow you to go mudsex while you make money. Why do you want to add one? Making coins should not be something that just happens even when you're logged out (if you're a commoner).

Weakest argument against so far.

I could play a clothier and spam the shit out of my crafts and make a small fortune in the comfort of my home with minimal risk. I guess that counts as a coded profession, though, even though I'm just sitting in a room using the same ol' emotes I've been using for the last twenty sandcloth sleeves.

I'd rather take extra work hours into setting up my shop into something I can be proud of, even though afterward a NPC would 'do all the massive and exhausting work of 'listing' my items' to the crowd.

Instead, indie merchants craft items and 90% of the time they'll go sell that item the minute it's done to a NPC, bypassing any sort of interaction that people are so wanting to protect by never seeing a PC-ran shop in their game.

And Desertman, let's be realistic here, how many RL years did it take the PC to have his/her own shop, and do you think it's a fair amount of -RL- years to sacrifice in a game to achieve said goal?

April 05, 2013, 05:43:17 PM #65 Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:46:27 PM by Molten Heart
I think I'd rather deal with NPC merchants than with PC merchants.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on April 05, 2013, 05:43:17 PM
I think I'd rather deal with NPC merchants than with PC merchants.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Buying NPC merchants and guards ...  No one will ever abuse that.

I think the weakest argument I've heard is that a PC with a display, arrange and ldesc commands, and a willingness to RP would automatically be boring and fail.  How lazy and unimaginative you must be.

Quote from: Kismetic on April 05, 2013, 06:43:42 PM
I think the weakest argument I've heard is that a PC with a display, arrange and ldesc commands, and a willingness to RP would automatically be boring and fail.  How lazy and unimaginative you must be.

Please try it for us on your next PC and tell us how it goes. I'm very curious.

I'm confident I could pull it off, but I'm too busy killing merchants, sorry.  :(

Quote from: Kismetic on April 05, 2013, 06:43:42 PM
Buying NPC merchants and guards ...  No one will ever abuse that.

I think the strongest argument against PC merchants is that nothing is stopping people from playing them other than people's choice.  The tools are there, the ability is there.  It would seem that people don't choose this option because they either haven't thought of it, or they would rather do something else they enjoy more.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on April 05, 2013, 06:57:49 PM
I think the strongest argument against PC merchants is that nothing is stopping people from playing them other than people's choice.  The tools are there, the ability is there.  It would seem that people don't choose this option because they either haven't thought of it, or they would rather do something else they enjoy more.

Until Morgenes decides to code PC-ran shops anyway and you all suddenly think that it's the greatest thing ever.

I know you well by now, Armageddon playerbase  :P

I would posit that creative PC solutions are infinitely superior to letting an NPC run your shop.  I'm not against the game world perhaps having a bazaar area where you can rent a limited number of stalls that can be opened or closed.  Player run stalls.

There was recently *(within the last two years)* a PC who played a character who would routinely hire other PC's to do jobs for him, hire mercenaries to transport him up to certain trading outposts, and sit in the middle of bazaars and sell his wares to other passing PC's. He was by far my favorite dwarf ever.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on April 05, 2013, 07:21:03 PM
There was recently *(within the last two years)* a PC who played a character who would routinely hire other PC's to do jobs for him, hire mercenaries to transport him up to certain trading outposts, and sit in the middle of bazaars and sell his wares to other passing PC's. He was by far my favorite dwarf ever.

I remember him. He was fun. It was fun when he would randomly like, waylay you in some POS town you don't expect to see anyone in.