Code Idea: Knowing how easy or difficult it is to hide/sneak in an area

Started by Harmless, April 01, 2013, 10:38:45 AM

I want the mud to give me coded messages letting me know how difficult my hide or sneak attempt is about to be or was when I try it out in an area.

As it is now, we do get those messages for obvious no-no situations "It's not the city, but you try anyway." But, within the city itself, there are and should be many grades of difficulty. It makes no sense that I as a person trying to avoid detection would have no idea how hard it is to hide or sneak right now. I can see how bright it is, I can see whether or not there are lots of vnpcs around or hiding places. The game should tell me (vaguely).

You search for a good place to hide.

You attempt to hide yourself.
Hiding in this area is difficult.   or  
You find it easy to hide here.   or  
You think it's impossible to stay hidden here.

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Man you really just want sneak/hide to be increasingly more op don't you?  How's your assassin doing?

Anyway, I don't like this idea, and I'm usually a huge fan of new ideas to increase player knowledge.  There is enough information in room descs/generally just paying attention to render this command pretty useless.  And besides, there are other factors besides just the room itself that affect the hide/sneak code.

This one I particularly disagree with. If you're an assassin, and you're hiding in a city room and the mdesc of the room says "Tons of people here".... its probably pretty easy to hide.

If you're hiding in an area that has low traffic on it, its probably not as easy.

If you're trying to hide in a jail cell, I'm going to laugh at you and psi the Templar.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I don't like this idea. Why? As someone who has played these types for years as my favorites (sneaky types) I can say that if you pay attention to the rooms mdesc and what it says about the room. There are plenty of clues, if you use common sense. We don't need code for it.

Edit: I swear I've successfully hidden in a jail cell once. It did NOT end well when I jumped out from the corner shouting "Boo!" at the templar though. Funny as shit still.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Eh, I was going to say, the game already tells you how hard stealth is in an area, both from observation and echos.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Fine, well-countered.

I'll get ya next time, maxid. Nya ha ha ha...
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

This makes me wonder if different areas even have different levels of ease/difficulty for stealth?  If so, this would be cool.  If not, maybe they should. :-/
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on April 01, 2013, 02:47:55 PM
This makes me wonder if different areas even have different levels of ease/difficulty for stealth?  If so, this would be cool.  If not, maybe they should. :-/

Find out IC.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

They do.  This is not something you'd be able to find out IC since it is a code issue.

Huh...I found out IC.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 04:01:47 PM

They do.  This is not something you'd be able to find out IC since it is a code issue.

Finding out coded things IC is indeed possible.
Through experimentation, trial and error, cross-examination of experiences, and talking to other people about their IC experiences with coded things.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Quote from: X-D on April 01, 2013, 04:04:05 PM
Huh...I found out IC.

You found out whether certain rooms were coded to be easier or more difficult to hide in ICly?

;)  Nah.

Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 04:05:09 PM

They do.  This is not something you'd be able to find out IC since it is a code issue.

Through experimentation, trial and error, cross-examination of experiences, and talking to other people about their IC experiences with coded things.

That is you, the player, realizing that certain rooms are coded one way or another.  Your PC is not aware that there is an underlying structure of the universe that allows certain rooms to be more or less stealth-friendly unless they have Medium Awareness, which your PC shouldn't have.

This is not to say your PC can't assume/believe/know that some places are easier to hide in than others.  However, Molten Heart was asking if code exists that allows for a differentiation in hide difficulty.  It's cool, sometimes it can be hard to understand where the IC/OOC separation lies.

Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 04:05:28 PM
Quote from: X-D on April 01, 2013, 04:04:05 PM
Huh...I found out IC.

You found out whether certain rooms were coded to be easier or more difficult to hide in ICly?

;)  Nah.

Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 04:05:09 PM

They do.  This is not something you'd be able to find out IC since it is a code issue.

That is you, the player, realizing that certain rooms are coded one way or another.  Your PC is not aware that there is an underlying structure of the universe that allows certain rooms to be more or less stealth-friendly unless they have Medium Awareness, which your PC shouldn't have.

This is not to say your PC can't assume/believe/know that some places are easier to hide in than others.  However, Molten Heart was asking if a code exists that allows for a differentiation in hide difficulty.  It's cool, sometimes it can be hard to understand where the IC/OOC separation lies.

That would be correct if the coded aspect did not correlate in some way to IC things.
Which you should find out IC, or just read through the thread - its already been talked about.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.

Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 04:09:08 PM
That would be correct if the coded aspect did not correlate in some way to IC things.
Which you should find out IC, or just read through the thread - its already been talked about.

It is correct.  He asked if the capability is coded into the game.  The answer is yes.  There is no way for a PC to know if the capability has been coded into the game, since the PC is unaware of the game.  You're missing the distinction.  Like I said, not everyone is able to fully separate IC and OOC.  I'm glad I was here to help.

The fact is, Maxid, a lot of us spent hours and hours and -hours- poring over just those kinds of aspects. IS spice addiction really in game? CAN you become tolerant of poisons? I don't even know FOR SURE that there is a solid level of alcohol tolerance, because I've never really tested it.

What Molten Heart asked, not five years ago, would have gotten staff saying "Find this out IC, we do not discuss these mechanics on the boards." It may sound simple, but the "capability" of summoning a Sephiroth-style meteor from the sky MIGHT be coded in for fire elementalists, but I don't need to know it. Part of Armageddon is discovering that, hey, I tend to get seen in that room a -lot- more than others.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Silly, Because YOU can find out IC...true, the PC does not, but nobody said "Have your PC find out IC if this code exists." The answer was simply Find out IC which means YOU find out IC. It is too bad many people cannot tell the difference between something they learn and something the PC learns...glad I could clear that up for you.

QuoteYou found out whether certain rooms were coded to be easier or more difficult to hide in ICly?

And yes Maxid, -I- in fact DID.

And Molten heart could have as well.

As to being able to split IC and OOC, I think it is funny that the people talking about such things don't even know what they mean.

IC, in char. Normaly people really mean IG, in game. inthat they tend to be interchangable. You the player can learn things IC or IG, or you could learn them on the GDB or docs or staff. But usually when most of us mean such things, The OOC ones such as Staff, docs, Gdb or even a helper we will say so. Otherwise the answer is often, Find out IC/IG which means, play your PC and you will likely learn these things.

And what Riev said applies as well...the correct answer was in fact "find out IC/IG" Unless the information is in the docs for all to see or staff has confirmed or denied such things in the past ont he GDB and it has not since been deleted or moved to moderation...Which I think this thread should be.
Lizzie:

This is not a karma restricted class question.  This is a question as to the capability of the game engine as it corresponds to zero karma classes.  It has a simple answer.  That attitude of 'find out IC' for things like 'is this possible normal mundane feature coded into the game' is silly and unproductive.

Quote from: X-D on April 01, 2013, 04:26:25 PM
Silly, Because YOU can find out IC...true, the PC does not, but nobody said "Have your PC find out IC if this code exists." The answer was simply Find out IC which means YOU find out IC. It is too bad many people cannot tell the difference between something they learn and something the PC learns...glad I could clear that up for you.

QuoteYou found out whether certain rooms were coded to be easier or more difficult to hide in ICly?

And yes Jenred, -I- in fact DID.

And Molten heart could have as well.

As to being able to split IC and OOC, I think it is funny that the people talking about such things don't even know what they mean.

IC, in char. Normaly people really mean IG, in game. inthat they tend to be interchangable. You the player can learn things IC or IG, or you could learn them on the GDB or docs or staff. But usually when most of us mean such things, The OOC ones such as Staff, docs, Gdb or even a helper we will say so. Otherwise the answer is often, Find out IC/IG which means, play your PC and you will likely learn these things.

I don't think you understand the separation between IC and OOC.  I'm sorry for your lots.

Quote from: X-D on April 01, 2013, 04:26:25 PM
And yes Jenred, -I- in fact DID.

Not me that was asking, but I appreciate being thought of :D

Quote from: maxxid
This is not a karma restricted class question.  This is a question as to the capability of the game engine as it corresponds to zero karma classes.  It has a simple answer.  That attitude of 'find out IC' for things like 'is this possible normal mundane feature coded into the game' is silly and unproductive.

While this may be your opinion about how these topics are discussed, its unfortunately not the policy of the game or existing precedent. Even questions of the capability of the game engine as it corresponds to zero karma classes (when the answer exists in the game, even if its not a 100% certain answer) is not supposed to be talked about on the boards.

Quote from: Welcome to Code Discussion!This is the place for discussion of the code: suggestions for improvements, feedback on changes, or questions that you have. Please avoid anything that might spoil things for a player that hasn't encountered whatever it is

Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 04:29:54 PM
While this may be your opinion about how these topics are discussed, its unfortunately not the policy of the game or existing precedent. Even questions of the capability of the game engine as it corresponds to zero karma classes (when the answer exists in the game, even if its not a 100% certain answer) is not supposed to be talked about on the boards.

The answer does not exist in game, it can be inferred from interaction with the game.  Please support your statement that it is not the policy of the game to answer completely mundane requests not relating to combat code, skilling up, or IC (as in in character, of or relating to (N)PCs and their stories) information.

Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 04:35:00 PM
Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 04:29:54 PM

The answer does not exist in game, it can be inferred from interaction with the game.  Please support your statement that it is not the policy of the game to answer completely mundane requests not relating to combat code, skilling up, or IC (as in in character, of or relating to (N)PCs and their stories) information.

An inferred answer is an answer.
And I did, by quoting the relevant section of the forum rule.

Sorry Jen...I fixed it...I was looking at the wrong quote:)
Lizzie:

Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 04:39:53 PM
An inferred answer is an answer.
And I did, by quoting the relevant section of the forum rule.

The ability for an answer to be inferred is not a direct answer.  Literally by definition.

The section you quoted mentioned spoilers.  This spoils nothing.  You're going to keep arguing until you're blue in the face because you've been around a bit, and you're the type of poster who won't admit when you're thoroughly and completely wrong even when its staring them in the face, so I'm done.  I answered his question, it's over and done with.  I'm sorry you're incorrect, but my position is unassailable and your evidence is as weak as your tenuous grasp on IC/OOC separation.

EDIT:

In Answer to Riev's straw man ATS post that got  a fairly standard reply, I offer you this.

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Hide

Which points out that some rooms are impossible/more difficult to hide in.

Eat it nerds.

Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 04:42:27 PM
...my position is unassailable...

Mmmm. Bait.

Quote from: Sluggy FreelanceStay good, Riff! Stay good!
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

QuotePlease avoid anything that might spoil things for a player that hasn't encountered whatever it is

It is not up to Maxid to decide what might be a spoiler. They other key point to the quoted section is "Hasn't encountered whatever it is" The question was asked, so the player in question in fact had not encountered it in game so your answer was in fact a spoiler.
Lizzie:

Quote from: X-D on April 01, 2013, 04:50:04 PM
QuotePlease avoid anything that might spoil things for a player that hasn't encountered whatever it is

It is not up to Maxid to decide what might be a spoiler. They other key point to the quoted section is "Hasn't encountered whatever it is" The question was asked, so the player in question in fact had not encountered it in game so your answer was in fact a spoiler.

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Hide