Code Idea: Knowing how easy or difficult it is to hide/sneak in an area

Started by Harmless, April 01, 2013, 10:38:45 AM

Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 04:42:27 PM
Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 04:39:53 PM
An inferred answer is an answer.
And I did, by quoting the relevant section of the forum rule.

The ability for an answer to be inferred is not a direct answer.  

Not all questions about the code, however mundane you think they are, are entitled to "direct answers".
If the answer can be inferred, it has been answered.
If that inferred answer can be found out IC, (or through the helpfile you linked) then do so. If its availably answered (inferred or otherwise) in the game, or in the helpfiles, don't ask it on the boards.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

If it isn't in the helpfiles, then it is information learned while In Game, and should stay that way.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

As I said, if it is in the help files then you are golden, but that was not the point.

It still could of and maybe should have been found out IC...or pointing at the help file to start.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

We were discussing this single issue.  Please refrain from derailing threads.

Calm down maxid, it's just a game.  :)
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: helpfileWearing heavy armour, or otherwise being encumbered too much, will often prevent your character from hiding. Well lit rooms, cramped passages, or areas devoid of decent cover may not provide the necessary places in them to hide.

QuoteI'm calm bro. Smiley I'm just also right.

You are the only one that thinks you are right...

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.

Yes that is the helpfile.  It's been posted often.  As I said, you will argue until you're blue in the face, despite literally staring at evidence to the contrary.

Ya'll done shit all over my thread with that IC info. Good derb!

ASSASSINS GUILD FO' LIFE.

In any case I  sure am glad that I made this thread  8) Was kind of surprised at the railing support I got in the other one... but I feel like things are even now.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 05:03:03 PM
Yes that is the helpfile.  It's been posted often.  As I said, you will argue until you're blue in the face, despite literally staring at evidence to the contrary.

No Im showing you that even in the helpfile it is not a black and white answer as to what the code does - it may be there, it may not.
And that asking for it, and spoiling what is left vague (in the helpfile) is what the forum rules are against.

Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 04:05:28 PM
Quote from: X-D on April 01, 2013, 04:04:05 PM
Huh...I found out IC.

You found out whether certain rooms were coded to be easier or more difficult to hide in ICly?

;)  Nah.

Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 04:05:09 PM
Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 04:01:47 PM
Quote from: Molten Heart on April 01, 2013, 02:47:55 PM
This makes me wonder if different areas even have different levels of ease/difficulty for stealth?  If so, this would be cool.  If not, maybe they should. :-/

They do.  This is not something you'd be able to find out IC since it is a code issue.

Finding out coded things IC is indeed possible.
Through experimentation, trial and error, cross-examination of experiences, and talking to other people about their IC experiences with coded things.

That is you, the player, realizing that certain rooms are coded one way or another.  Your PC is not aware that there is an underlying structure of the universe that allows certain rooms to be more or less stealth-friendly unless they have Medium Awareness, which your PC shouldn't have.

This is not to say your PC can't assume/believe/know that some places are easier to hide in than others.  However, Molten Heart was asking if code exists that allows for a differentiation in hide difficulty.  It's cool, sometimes it can be hard to understand where the IC/OOC separation lies.
I actually, 100% did. And it was through specific IC training/testing as my guy had wanted to be a "master artist"
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

The internet never changes.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 04:05:28 PM
Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 04:05:09 PM
Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 04:01:47 PM
Quote from: Molten Heart on April 01, 2013, 02:47:55 PM
This makes me wonder if different areas even have different levels of ease/difficulty for stealth?  If so, this would be cool.  If not, maybe they should. :-/

They do.  This is not something you'd be able to find out IC since it is a code issue.

Finding out coded things IC is indeed possible.
Through experimentation, trial and error, cross-examination of experiences, and talking to other people about their IC experiences with coded things.

That is you, the player, realizing that certain rooms are coded one way or another.  Your PC is not aware that there is an underlying structure of the universe that allows certain rooms to be more or less stealth-friendly unless they have Medium Awareness, which your PC shouldn't have.

This is not to say your PC can't assume/believe/know that some places are easier to hide in than others.  However, Molten Heart was asking if code exists that allows for a differentiation in hide difficulty.  It's cool, sometimes it can be hard to understand where the IC/OOC separation lies.

It was more of a rhetorical question and more of a declaration of uncertainty.  I suppose I shouldn't have used a question mark.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA