Discussion of changes to Armageddon Website

Started by Morgenes, April 01, 2013, 12:10:18 AM

Amazingly wonderful, I get tingles. Superbly executed.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Delirium on April 02, 2013, 02:17:22 PM
I've noticed that responses to requests aren't getting emailed; only the resolution/closure of the request.

Delirium,

Are you not receiving staff responses, or your responses?

If your responses did you check the checkbox 'Send me a copy'?  [Side Note: per previous discussion this is now defaulted to checked]

I'm playing with the response code and have tweaked it a little bit, hopefully that helps.  Let me know if you aren't receiving staff responses.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I didn't receive the staff response, but I did have the box checked to 'email me a copy' when I initially filed the request, and I did get that copy of my initial request.

I don't often have reasons to file requests but I'll keep an eye on it for next time. Thanks!

April 02, 2013, 05:02:52 PM #128 Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:07:56 PM by aruna
Speaking of requests, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but when I go to view my requests I am missing some. The last one listed for me is from 12/31/09, and I've had at least two resolved since then.

Dig the new website otherwise - it does a lot better job of drawing me in than the old one did.

Edit: Strangely my new request titled "Requests missing" does show up.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Just a note that I noticed an issue in subjects being sent if there isn't a title on your request.  I've fixed this, but for those of you with requests without titles, you'll see your request emails split as I've changed the subject line slightly (missing space).

Sorry, it'll all be better soon.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

One suggestion I have is to make the link color different from the current dark red, which is pretty hard on the eyes (or at least, it is on mine).

You could sample a dusty orange color from the header/footer, I think that would work well. (a slightly darker one than the current header orange)

Not sure if anyone's yet mentioned this, but it seems some of the lists on the new website are outdated, such as the animal life and plant life docs, which have less content than the old ones. Just seems to contain what's in the helpfiles from what I can see, whilst the old docs had been updated to include more animals/plants. Not sure if this applies to more stuff.
Someone says: I imagine the festivities have worn you thin... Well good. I plan on leading patrols over the next month, that would turn even your shriveled manhoods into sturdy poles of destruction.

Ignoring the transparency, I can't find any way to scroll down within that drop-down menu. I can get down to Merchant Houses, but no further.

That is, by the way, maxed vertically on my screen. (Tiiiny netbook.)

...and, after totally fullscreening Firefox, I realize that maybe my default view is the mobile layout? Man, no wonder I couldn't navigate.

Thanks for all the updates, Morgenes! I know layout stuff is taking a justified back seat to fixing the database stuff.

Quote from: mangler on April 02, 2013, 06:45:57 PM
Not sure if anyone's yet mentioned this, but it seems some of the lists on the new website are outdated, such as the animal life and plant life docs, which have less content than the old ones. Just seems to contain what's in the helpfiles from what I can see, whilst the old docs had been updated to include more animals/plants. Not sure if this applies to more stuff.

This makes me want to check to see if it still includes the games information, and the page on how to read kruth cards, too, but unfortunately I'm about to head off to clean my room so it'll have to wait unless someone else wants to?
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Morgenes on April 02, 2013, 04:03:01 PM
Quote from: Delirium on April 02, 2013, 02:17:22 PM
I've noticed that responses to requests aren't getting emailed; only the resolution/closure of the request.

Delirium,

Are you not receiving staff responses, or your responses?

If your responses did you check the checkbox 'Send me a copy'?  [Side Note: per previous discussion this is now defaulted to checked]

I'm playing with the response code and have tweaked it a little bit, hopefully that helps.  Let me know if you aren't receiving staff responses.

Just chiming in that I experienced this same thing.

I submitted a character report, and it was emailed to me.
Staff responded to my report (but did not resolve it, the report is still open), and that too was emailed to me.
I responded back to staff, but my response was not emailed to me.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on April 02, 2013, 11:25:17 PM
Just chiming in that I experienced this same thing.

I submitted a character report, and it was emailed to me.
Staff responded to my report (but did not resolve it, the report is still open), and that too was emailed to me.
I responded back to staff, but my response was not emailed to me.

Not to be a smart-ass, but you didn't uncheck the 'Send me a copy' checkbox right?  Maybe check your spam folder?

For those of you with small screens

I have fixed the menu-ing issues that were visible on those with small form-factor screens (phones, small netbooks, vertical tablets...).  Note that the menu no longer sticks at the top for those form-factors like it does for large screen sizes.  Price you have to pay to be able to reach all the menus.

For those of you who were straining to read link colors

I have taken your advise and altered the color of links to be a brighter color that I feel is still in theme.  Hopefully it is still obvious what is a link and what isn't.  If not we can continue to tweak.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

This looks awesome and I like the new link colour much better!

One suggestion: "Maps" could go in "Intro" as its own section as well as "World > Geography" because I think new players rely on them a lot. People even ask about them in TeamSpeak. "Rules" could also go in "Intro" if not as its own header topic.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on April 02, 2013, 11:49:25 PM
This looks awesome and I like the new link colour much better!

One suggestion: "Maps" could go in "Intro" as its own section as well as "World > Geography" because I think new players rely on them a lot. People even ask about them in TeamSpeak. "Rules" could also go in "Intro" if not as its own header topic.

Maps are now in Intro as well as World > Geography.

Added Rules to the Intro links as well.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

http://armageddon.org/intro/walkthrough.php

i love it.

is there anyway to hotlink some of the keywords that are bolded/coded to the specific help files?

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Maps

i know this is just feeding from the helpfile, but perhaps it might be easier if there was a simple link for the maps, rather than a streaming line of ascii code?

amazing job everybody!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on April 03, 2013, 12:11:28 AM
http://armageddon.org/intro/walkthrough.php

i love it.

is there anyway to hotlink some of the keywords that are bolded/coded to the specific help files?

Is there a way, yes, of course. It's a good idea, I'll throw it on the todo list.

Quote from: mansa on April 03, 2013, 12:11:28 AM
http://armageddon.org/help/view/Maps

i know this is just feeding from the helpfile, but perhaps it might be easier if there was a simple link for the maps, rather than a streaming line of ascii code?
I could do some special handling based on the name of the file I suppose.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Love the new link color. Much easier on the eyes too.

Minor, but noticed this in mobile (safari, iPhone), check out the right side of the image. It happens in vertical and horizontal. Looks like a fixed width issue?

Quote from: Morgenes on April 02, 2013, 11:33:51 PM
For those of you with small screens

I have fixed the menu-ing issues that were visible on those with small form-factor screens (phones, small netbooks, vertical tablets...).  Note that the menu no longer sticks at the top for those form-factors like it does for large screen sizes.  Price you have to pay to be able to reach all the menus.

Yay! Works great.

Has this been brought up already but where are the weekly reports?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Morgenes on April 02, 2013, 11:33:51 PM
Not to be a smart-ass, but you didn't uncheck the 'Send me a copy' checkbox right?  Maybe check your spam folder?

>_>

I'm pretty sure I had it checked, and that it didn't end up as spam in my spam folder. But! Later today when I sent another reply to an open request it did email me my reply so um ... everything seems to be working normal again, at least for me.

:)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Barsook on April 03, 2013, 05:48:00 AM

The weekly updates are found by clicking on the little view button just under the live help button, in the Latest News area.
Nothing to see here

As someone who works in web development. I just want to say that you guys have done a wonderful job with the site, bravo.

Quote from: Jestor on April 03, 2013, 06:31:25 AM
Quote from: Barsook on April 03, 2013, 05:48:00 AM

The weekly updates are found by clicking on the little view button just under the live help button, in the Latest News area.

Thanks.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points