Discussion of Changes to ArmageddonMUD

Started by Adhira, March 31, 2013, 01:34:50 PM

Quote from: maxid on March 31, 2013, 02:08:08 PM
Id on't know why you all think this is an April Fool's Joke.  Arm 2.0 was announced on April Fools, and it's not even 4/1 in most of the world.

Arm 2.0 actually was an April Fool's joke, albeit a long running one.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

The world simply does not have enough popcorn to sustain me.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

For anyone whose panties are in a bunch, instead of on the floor of a cheap, rented apartment:

Staff has not come out and said that this is not a joke. That, in itself, if effective proof that it is. (Proof that will no longer be effective after I post this, I suppose.  ::) That's what happens when one throws down a gauntlet.)
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on March 31, 2013, 08:10:31 PM
For anyone whose panties are in a bunch, instead of on the floor of a cheap, rented apartment:

Staff has not come out and said that this is not a joke. That, in itself, if effective proof that it is. (Proof that will no longer be effective after I post this, I suppose.  ::) That's what happens when one throws down a gauntlet.)

That, and the lack of change to "help rules" or "help consent."   ;)
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: valeria on March 31, 2013, 08:15:05 PM
Quote from: Morrolan on March 31, 2013, 08:10:31 PM

That, and the lack of change to "help rules" or "help consent."   ;)

No time to log in today. Just jumping on here to blow off steam between writing binges.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 31, 2013, 07:50:25 PM
If all this is for real, someone ought to think about the people who don't read the GDB and update the rules: http://www.armageddon.org/general/rules.html and the helpfile for consent.

There are a significant amount of helpfiles that would need to be changed for this sort of thing.  We're aware of the work involved, but we're also aware that this is going to be an ongoing process, phased in over the course of the next two months.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on March 31, 2013, 08:19:51 PM
If all this is for real, someone ought to think about the people who don't read the GDB and update the rules: http://www.armageddon.org/general/rules.html and the helpfile for consent.

There are a significant amount of helpfiles that would need to be changed for this sort of thing.  We're aware of the work involved, but we're also aware that this is going to be an ongoing process, phased in over the course of the next two months.

Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Nyr on March 31, 2013, 08:19:51 PM

I smell pikachu.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Welp, guys, they just banned me permanently from the game for humping the leg of Tektolnes. They also lit my house on fire.

Quote from: Morrolan on March 31, 2013, 04:42:35 PM
P.S. Is the writer of the post a professional bureaucrat? It reads like it. (I know, I have written similar things.)

Yes I am actually.

In fact dealing with censorship issues, public safety and appropriateness of 'content' for public display/access is a part of the work that I do.  

We realise that these changes are controversial and not everyone is going to like each one.  However, we think that the overall outcomes will be of benefit to this game.  We also recognize that there will be a learning curve here.  We won't expect behaviour to change overnight and in fact will announce as we phase in each aspect of the listed changes.  We will be lenient in terms of punishment but we do expect that people will follow the rules that we set forth for the game.

Thanks for keeping the discussion (mostly) civil guys.  Your input and feedback is important to us, we are listening, and will take your reaction in to account. At the end of the day the staff have to make the decision on what is best for this game we all love.  
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

And no e-mail yet.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Adhira on March 31, 2013, 08:34:22 PM
At the end of the day the staff have to make the decision on what is best for this game we all love.  

This proposed version of Arm is NOT the mud we all love. Not even close. I for one will NOT be continuing to play if these changes happen and I -will- be very verbal about my discontinuing the use of this MUD.

I will be very sad to not be able to play with all of you.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on March 31, 2013, 08:38:37 PM
At the end of the day the staff have to make the decision on what is best for this game we all love. 

This proposed version of Arm is NOT the mud we all love. Not even close. I for one will NOT be continuing to play if these changes happen and I -will- be very verbal about my discontinuing the use of this MUD.

I will be very sad to not be able to play with all of you.
\

+1
Fredd-

I haven't read through this whole thread...but I'm going to assume that I'm not the only one that hopes this is an April Fools?

Player retention is all great as a focus...but can't we focus on solutions to retain players to Armageddon...rather than changing what Armageddon is? Not interested in playing a PG mud...would rather the legal issues were overcome by not allowing underage players. Don't wanna RP with twelve year olds anyway. Not a good trade off.

I know I'm only one player...but if there was a vote...my vote would be on 'I won't be playing Arm anymore if all of these actually go though', not in some kind of tantrum...but just because it wouldn't interest me anymore - and I don't even mudsex.

Don't fix what ain't broke!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Maso has a point there...and I agree with them.
Fredd-

Quote from: Maso on March 31, 2013, 08:40:16 PM
I haven't read through this whole thread...but I'm going to assume that I'm not the only one that hopes this is an April Fools?

Player retention is all great as a focus...but can't we focus on solutions to retain players to Armageddon...rather than changing what Armageddon is? Not interested in playing a PG mud...would rather the legal issues were overcome by not allowing underage players. Don't wanna RP with twelve year olds anyway. Not a good trade off.

I know I'm only one player...but if there was a vote...my vote would be on 'I won't be playing Arm anymore if all of these actually go though', not in some kind of tantrum...but just because it wouldn't interest me anymore - and I don't even mudsex.

Don't fix what ain't broke!

You must really love torture.

Quote from: Morrolan on March 31, 2013, 04:42:35 PM
P.S. Is the writer of the post a professional bureaucrat? It reads like it. (I know, I have written similar things.)

Yes I am actually.

In fact dealing with censorship issues, public safety and appropriateness of 'content' for public display/access is a part of the work that I do.  

We realise that these changes are controversial and not everyone is going to like each one.  However, we think that the overall outcomes will be of benefit to this game.  We also recognize that there will be a learning curve here.  We won't expect behaviour to change overnight and in fact will announce as we phase in each aspect of the listed changes.  We will be lenient in terms of punishment but we do expect that people will follow the rules that we set forth for the game.

Thanks for keeping the discussion (mostly) civil guys.  Your input and feedback is important to us, we are listening, and will take your reaction in to account. At the end of the day the staff have to make the decision on what is best for this game we all love.  

Godamn it, Adhira this karma docking isn't fair - it's only natural people would think it was a joke given the timing of the announcement. Would it be possible to appeal it or something?

I know ignorance isn't an excuse for rule breaking, but, to be fair, the documented rule list found on the game is still outdated. Alot of people who didn't frequent the GDB wouldn't be aware of the change.

Quote from: lordcooper on March 31, 2013, 08:42:46 PM
You must really love torture.

Fictional torture has its place. Ask Paksenarrion.

Quote from: Lutagar on March 31, 2013, 08:44:21 PM
Godamn it, Adhira this karma docking isn't fair - it's only natural people would think it was a joke given the timing of the announcement. Would it be possible to appeal it or something?

Please take your complaint of staff actions to an appropriate venue, such as the request tool. This is still Armageddon MUD, after all!