Extended Subguilds - Feedback sought

Started by Adhira, March 20, 2013, 11:24:39 PM

They can get it.  Imms have previously said you will be able to still special app for +3 CGP.  So if you have the karma for mul, you can do a mul + 3 CGP.

Elementalists-I would have played one if I could.  That said, I am imagining a lot of people aren't piping up because some of the benefits probably go back to how it fits with the main guild....which we really can't talk about much.

Elves-If there is a genetic difference, it is a retcon.  The old docs used to say that elven tribes would move into/out of cities over generations (that has definately been retcon'd).  D-Elves used to get the city guilds.  There was apparently one really badass Delf assassin around when they made the change (10-12 years ago?) that maybe influenced opinion.  I only bring all this up because...

Proposal:  City Cousin (Desert Elf only) (2 CGP)
All the racial innates of a City Elf, retaining Desert Elf innates as well.
background:  You have a close relation that married into a city elf tribe and have spent a significant amount of time there.

Proposal:  Desert Cousin (City Elf only) (2 CGP)
All the racial innates of a Desert Elf, retaining City Elf innates as well.
background:  You have a close relation that married into a desert elf tribe and have spent a significant amount of time there.

Yes, I know they will never put this in.  I've always hated that retcon though, I thought it was cooler when tribes would slowly, over generations, either move into or out of the cities.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on March 24, 2013, 07:11:33 PM
They can get it.  Imms have previously said you will be able to still special app for +3 CGP.  So if you have the karma for mul, you can do a mul + 3 CGP.

Elementalists-I would have played one if I could.  That said, I am imagining a lot of people aren't piping up because some of the benefits probably go back to how it fits with the main guild....which we really can't talk about much.

Elves-If there is a genetic difference, it is a retcon.  The old docs used to say that elven tribes would move into/out of cities over generations (that has definately been retcon'd).  D-Elves used to get the city guilds.  There was apparently one really badass Delf assassin around when they made the change (10-12 years ago?) that maybe influenced opinion.  I only bring all this up because...

It's a very very old retcon, one that's been in effect for at least a decade now. It's not alone either, there were a lot of retcons in the first few years of the game.

As I understand it there are coded differences in the city versus desert elves that are pretty clearly physiological in nature.

Eep! I don't have time to read through the thread, but I'm assuming it's more player by player feedback rather than a discussion really so...

I've never actually used an extended subguild, I suppose slightly put off by the wait time involved...but that aside...In regards to the mix...I can only comment from having read over the options a number of time (I'm guessing there isn't anyone who has tried them all anyway!)....

Thoughts are...Outdoorsman should have climb...Outdoorsman...climbing is very outdoorsy, even if it's a low cap...And grebber is a bit weak, even if it's only 2CGP...it just isn't very enticing at all, it needs...something...maybe wilderness sneak. That's all really...otherwise, I think this is one of the most awesome additions (although there has been a lot of awesome in the last year)...I just haven't got round to trying it yet.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on March 24, 2013, 09:33:30 PM
I've never actually used an extended subguild, I suppose slightly put off by the wait time involved...

Never fear.  These are processed fairly quickly.  The last 20 were resolved within a week.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I have to say I was impressed with the speed of the process.

Other than that - I'd honestly love to see more extended subguilds, especially of the crafter kind. A herbalist with brew, badagemaking, floristy and dyeing. An upgraded version of a tinker. An expert fletcher/bowmaker...
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

I dont get why ppl are up in arms about d-elves getting city based ext. subguilds..

What d-elf is going to spend an exorbitant amount of time in a city.. And more over.. IF you have say Slipknife as your subguild.. I think them dealing a "critical strike" is really the least of your worries.. In fact it's more overkill than anything.

SLK don't leave the Pah
SR sometimes do to trade and such but I'd be suspect to see one wondering through say, the rinth or the warrens and whacking people.. And -why- would an SR, who are incredibly flamboyant (i.e. flaming homo's) want to sulk and sneak around all the time anyway when about their "adoring public" is about...

If a d-elf player wants to take a city based sub.. Let them. More often than not, they'll have a skill tree with some dead things in it.

TOO ADD FEEDBACK THOUGH...

I think their should be a more Nomad Centric Extended Subguild. Kind of like.. Nomad +

You get Bendune and the basic skills from the Nomad sub + maybe sneak and a little allundean (since they deal w. all those d-elves).

I felt this was missing from the selection.

But I've mentioned Slipknife needs.. a boost somewhere. Not sure where though.

Rogue is awesome and I think all the hub-bub over Outdoorsman is.. well.. just noise.
Czar of City Elves.

March 25, 2013, 08:59:02 AM #131 Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:02:58 AM by The Silence of the Erdlus
Does anyone have opinions/feedback on cutpurse? I'm interested in that one.

EDIT: Does staff happen to have stats on how many people have entered the game with extended subguilds so far which would be okay to show?

We've had 246 approved since the implementation of extended subguilds almost 16 months ago.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Nyr on March 25, 2013, 07:42:21 AM
I've never actually used an extended subguild, I suppose slightly put off by the wait time involved...

Never fear.  These are processed fairly quickly.  The last 20 were resolved within a week.

The potential 24 hour wait for a regular app makes me squirm. :p
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on March 25, 2013, 03:06:59 PM
Quote from: Nyr on March 25, 2013, 07:42:21 AM

The potential 24 hour wait for a regular app makes me squirm. :p

Pre-apply and have it waiting and ready once your current character croaks.

(apologies if this was said previously as I don't have time to catch up)

Master Linguist would be cool. Let 'em know all the Known languages and maybe even throw in an extra accent or two.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Quote from: flurry on March 22, 2013, 04:54:34 PM

Polyglot: two extra languages, listen, faster language learning, extra accents

Oh good. Someone did suggest it. Polyglot. Love it.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on March 25, 2013, 08:59:02 AM
Does anyone have opinions/feedback on cutpurse? I'm interested in that one.

Very pleased, but I haven't commented because I never branched half of it.  It seemed to be missing a skill that I thought was vital to thievery (I could be wrong), but I chose it for the perception skills mentioned in the description.

March 27, 2013, 11:17:24 AM #138 Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:36:59 AM by Is Friday
I've played two ext subs, Aggressor and Protector. My Agg only lasted 4 hours or something, heh. But my experience with Protector is much more diverse.

I think a lot of you who are downing Protector have not picked an ideal guild to pair it with or have been using it in a narrow-minded manner. Sure, it is not a full guild of skills. It does however provide an incredibly powerful set of skills. They're just not fancy and blow shit up, heh. They are incredibly useful for utility and when combined with the right guild it can be a powerhouse.

Stop limiting yourself and your approach to using these subs and I think you'll find them incredibly fun to play. If you only play warriors, can't figure out the combat code, or overall "suck at life" (Marine Corps term for being mediocre, I'm not calling anyone out,) you will struggle with how to use something new. Treat these subs as RP tools and extra utility skills. Problem solve to discover their varied uses.

I do like ext subs and think they're awesome for expanding the types of roles you can play. Ye complainers just sound like you want two main guilds or something ridiculous. Expand your miiiind.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

After some thought about (in addition to the Nomad + extended subguild), I do think Slipknife needs either Sleight of Hand or City Hunt. Both make sense for the subguild and would round out the fact it costs 3 karma / CGP
Czar of City Elves.

Diversifying with more extended subguilds (and even regular subguilds) would be a good thing.  There have been a lot of good examples of new subguilds given.  Even if they are only slightly different from each other (even if the difference sometimes is only one skill), it could make guild sniffing simply futile.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I've always thought it'd be cool to have a subguild with ranger quit. I'm not sure if there's one already - but using a special app to find out makes me anxious.

Quote from: Lutagar on March 31, 2013, 06:17:06 PM
I've always thought it'd be cool to have a subguild with ranger quit. I'm not sure if there's one already - but using a special app to find out makes me anxious.

Agreed. Always thought most every class should have this, IMO.

Eh, I think we can keep ranger quit exclusive to rangers now that we have both Quit OOC and quit rooms outside of every city gate.

With everyone poo-pooing on Protector, I want to see a high-agility (delf maybe?) ranger/protector before I make any kind of decision on whether or not it's underpowered. I have a feeling it just hasn't be played to its potential yet.

Aggressor is fine. Outdoorsman may be a little buff, but I can't comment from personal experience.

I'd really like to see a more practical subguild for tribal types than the one there is now.

forage food
direction sense
climb
bendune
tribal accent
ride

That, to me, makes more sense for what a tribal would be doing than making spears and such, and it involves plenty of practical but not overly buff skills for surviving in the sands, like being able to live off the land and find your way around in the storm or ride the mount you're wandering the world on and climb your way out of the pah's infamous gorges.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

April 01, 2013, 09:34:14 AM #146 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:37:02 AM by Nyr
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on April 01, 2013, 09:01:58 AM
I'd really like to see a more practical subguild for tribal types than the one there is now.

forage food
direction sense
climb
bendune
tribal accent
ride

That, to me, makes more sense for what a tribal would be doing than making spears and such, and it involves plenty of practical but not overly buff skills for surviving in the sands, like being able to live off the land and find your way around in the storm or ride the mount you're wandering the world on and climb your way out of the pah's infamous gorges.

I don't really see a need for this.  

ranger/nomad = presto, you have this
warrior/scavenger = presto, you have this; now work with staff to play al Seik, Arabet, or Tan Muark and get some gear for riding and being out in the desert

Quote from: Only He Stands There on April 01, 2013, 08:54:14 AM
With everyone poo-pooing on Protector, I want to see a high-agility (delf maybe?) ranger/protector before I make any kind of decision on whether or not it's underpowered. I have a feeling it just hasn't be played to its potential yet.

Aggressor is fine. Outdoorsman may be a little buff, but I can't comment from personal experience.
I'm likely playing the longest lived something/Protector IG right now. No, it doesn't suck. It's flipping amazing.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

IC INFOZ  >:(
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Protector is decent.  I don't get the people saying its weak, but it actually has a good set of skills for a few guilds and really shores up some of their overall weaknesses.

I do agree with the ranger quit on, say, outdoorsman, though.  I understand why it's kept restricted, but if I'm blowing 3 karmapoints or CGP or whatever they're called on an outdoorsy subguild, I want to be able to be outdoorsy.