Group Whisper

Started by Suhuy, March 19, 2013, 04:46:57 AM

>whisper dainty stalwart fitch When I give the command, everyone charge the templar and we'll take this sonavabitch down once and for all!

You whisper to the dainty, freckled woman, the stalwart, dark-haired man, and the Abercrombie and Fitch Door Greeter, in sirihish:
     "When I give the command, everyone charge the templar and we'll take this sonavabitch down once and for all!"

Thoughts? Been suggested already? Lame? Not lame?

I always liked the idea of being able to create groups where you could use 'talk' like you were at a table.  It would achieve a similar result.

I hate it, because no one else has hated it yet.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

talk (gesticulating like a madman)  Somebody set us up the bomb!
At your conversation, you say, in sirihish, gesticulating like a madman:
"Somebody set us up the bomb!"

At his conversation, you overhear the tan, muscular man say, in sirihish, gesticulating like a madman:

join amos
You join the tan, muscular man's conversation.

Quote from: Kismetic on March 19, 2013, 07:43:34 AM
talk (gesticulating like a madman)  Somebody set us up the bomb!
At your conversation, you say, in sirihish, gesticulating like a madman:

At his conversation, you overhear the tan, muscular man say, in sirihish, gesticulating like a madman:

join amos
You join the tan, muscular man's conversation.

follow amos
shadow amos

Actually, doesn't it already work this way for talk-at-tables?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

March 19, 2013, 11:31:45 AM #6 Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:33:41 AM by Kismetic
If you're following someone, you have a better chance of overhearing their conversations at a table.  This code would be to use the 'talk' command without having to sit at a table.

For instance, the Sarge might not be able to hear Amos and Talia talking at the watercooler, but thanks to the listen skill, Malik gets the scoop.

Either this brand of coding, or maybe a recommendation of installing a lot more items that allow a group of people to stand at.

stand watercooler

I guess my interest here is that it shouldn't be a prerequisite to 'sit' somewhere to have a private conversation.

Quote from: Kismetic on March 19, 2013, 11:31:45 AM
If you're following someone, you have a better chance of overhearing their conversations at a table.

Yeah? Cool, didn't know that.

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 19, 2013, 02:26:58 PM
Quote from: Kismetic on March 19, 2013, 11:31:45 AM
If you're following someone, you have a better chance of overhearing their conversations at a table.

Yeah? Cool, didn't know that.

It's actually more like a guarantee, then a better chance.

It still hinges on somebody sitting at a table.  Anyway, I like the idea of a group whisper, too.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 19, 2013, 03:11:17 PM
It's actually more like a guarantee, then a better chance.

It's pretty decent but it's certainly not a guarantee.
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

I feel like this would cheapen the listen skill.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Quote from: benegesseritwitch on March 21, 2013, 02:56:32 AM
I feel like this would cheapen the listen skill.

How? I think having group whisper (or conversation whatever you want to call it) while not at a table would make the listen skill more useful outside of taverns. Right now that group of elves in the corner of the bazaar share their plans to rip you off in Allundean, if they could huddled round and whisper it amongst themselves you would need to be able to listen and speak Allundean to be prepared!

I've never understood why you can only have quiet group conversations at table objects as well. Group Whisper approval from me :)
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I like it, but.... how could this be coded? How would the command work? I can't visualize it.

> whisper me <message>

> whisper me -<how> <message>

> whisper me (<how>) <message>

Example:

> whisper me (lowering his voice to those walking along with him) See them gutter rats up
  ahead? Let's show them who truly runs these alleys.

I would suggest focusing it on a person, the leader. Everyone following that leader can hear the whispers so the leader targets himself to whisper to the group and the followers whisper to the leader for everyone in the group to hear. If you're not following the leader but instead following someone else in the group you're not close enough to hear the group whispers. It's not perfect but I think it is better than we have now which requires furniture to have a quiet conversation.

I'm not sure if/how to code it exactly but this is what I would look at first. See if I can reference the follow code to see who I should send the whispers too and who needs to make a listen check to overhear the groups conversation.

March 21, 2013, 07:16:22 AM #15 Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:25:03 AM by ghostymudy
Quote from: Bushranger on March 21, 2013, 05:31:46 AM
What if I want to whisper just to the leader while we're chatting quietly in our group.
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

March 21, 2013, 07:26:53 AM #16 Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:28:30 AM by Bushranger
Separate it from the whisper code. Call it conversation. Look at my post before I suggested how it might be coded.

converse <leader> <message>

References the whisper code and the follow code so a coder doesn't need to do so much work and you can still use whisper for single target quiet messages.

I think it would be fine as just part of the talk command.  As it is, you can't "talk" while standing.  It would just reroute a standing "talk" to your group, if you had them.  I think that possibly getting the code to recognize that a group is all connected would be the sticky part, but I'm not a coder.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Do it like other RPIs sort of have. If you use 'talk' while not sitting at a table, you speak to everyone following you, the person you're following, and (maybe) everyone following the person you're following, like Bushranger said.

If the number of people 'talk' finds is zero, then talk will make you mumble to yourself... just to lump that idea in instead of making 'talk' fail.

Hmm.  This whole idea is tricky.  I've been back and forth on it in my head.  At least, we should consider that this idea presents a minor nerf to both listen-enabled and non-listen-enabled gossip gathering and decide whether such a change is desired.

(Implementation-wise, though, I agree that rolling it into talk+follow is probably the smoothest way to do it.)

I am all for it on talk+follow...specially if it reverts to mumble self if nobody is following...two birds, one stone.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Oh, actually, I should add that I don't think I like talk reverting to mumble/whisper-self if alone.

Personally, I find it useful to be reminded that I'm being a dummy and forgot to sit or missed the message that the bar is full.  :P

Quote from: Cutthroat on March 21, 2013, 08:53:30 AM
Do it like other RPIs sort of have. If you use 'talk' while not sitting at a table, you speak to everyone following you, the person you're following, and (maybe) everyone following the person you're following, like Bushranger said.

If the number of people 'talk' finds is zero, then talk will make you mumble to yourself... just to lump that idea in instead of making 'talk' fail.

Didn't know you could do that with talk! Awesome.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

You can't, Fredd. That's other RPIs.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 21, 2013, 09:18:06 AM
Hmm.  This whole idea is tricky.  I've been back and forth on it in my head.  At least, we should consider that this idea presents a minor nerf to both listen-enabled and non-listen-enabled gossip gathering and decide whether such a change is desired.

(Implementation-wise, though, I agree that rolling it into talk+follow is probably the smoothest way to do it.)

Why does this idea present a minor nerf to listen? Because secretive or quiet conversations involving more than one person are no longer going to be restricted only to certain rooms with furniture objects?