Group Whisper

Started by Suhuy, March 19, 2013, 04:46:57 AM

Because people will talk among themselves when walking together outside of table/seating areas, and snooping PCs will have to be in the same room to overhear the conversation, instead of the one adjacent. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. It always felt a little ridiculous to hear someone's conversation halfway up a crowded, busy road, for example.

Yeah, that.

I'm not sure it's a bad thing either.

But still... privacy for truly important discussions is already trivial to obtain.  Thus, this sort of change would impact almost purely within the realm of gossip.  I'm not sure that things are better by trying to stifle such.  On the other hand, if people do feel protected by some measure privacy even within non-stead public spaces, they may be willing to let slip more juicy things for those that do overhear them.  Maybe that would balance the effect.

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 21, 2013, 10:34:48 AM
You can't, Fredd. That's other RPIs.

Dammit...
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I was going to post a thread to discuss a 'huddle' idea that would accomplish whispering to more than one target.  But a search turned up this existing thread!

Something like 'form huddle self <target1> <target2>', but then I guess you'd need to give each other player a chance to accept or decline joining the huddle.  Or maybe you could 'form huddle self' and it would echo 'Slipshod motions for people to gather around him' and then the others could 'join' the huddle.

Hrm... I don't know how to accomplish it otherwise, if not simply changing the existing whisper command to be able to target more than one person.  Max it out at 3 targets total, max?  'whisper <target 1> <target 2> <message>'

Someone mentioned that you can't 'talk' while standing, but that's not true if you are standing 'at' a table or bar with extra spaces beyond the chairs.
If staff were to add 'standing room only' locations to rooms around the world, that would work, but I think they'd have to do it manually for every room in the game, which is insane.  However, it would allow us to do things like:
Quotelook tables
At 1) a corner of the room are:
  a few empty spaces.

sit at 1
There are no seats at a corner of the room.

stand at 1
You stand at a corner of the room.

Malafaxis stands at a corner of the room.

talk (glancing out at the rest of the room) Yo.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr