Zalanthan Dictionary

Started by Bast, January 15, 2013, 11:32:24 AM

January 19, 2013, 06:22:30 PM #25 Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:30:11 PM by FantasyWriter
Probably less than .1% of Zalanthans would know even enough about those two elements to even ask your question, imho.

And besides, Drov has been used so much IG to mean 'the non-existance which comes after life,' much like in English, the word 'Hell' is used in Abrahamic religions to mean the opposite of Heaven, when in fact the word itself is from the Norse/Germanic Hel which is more like Zombieland than Paradise Lost.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

We're straying into a derail here, but I do think the elements of Whira and Drov are in the Zalanthan vernacular as a kind of lightly regarded superstition. The magical nature of them might be something the players are aware of, but not your average joe, in my opinion.

Whira

1 - the magical element of wind
2 - luck, capriciousness
       "Whira sure wasn't with me at the card game... lost all my krath sids!"

Drov

1 - the magical element of darkness
2 - oblivion, nothingness - often as a colorful reference to death
       "Shut your mouth or I'll send you to Drov!"

Nilaz is probably closer to true 'oblivion' as such.

Drov is where the dead go. Details beyond that are nonexistant to the average Zalanthan, although I guess some might have some hope of reuniting with friends/loved ones beyond the grave.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Nilaz, I imagine, is a very knowledgeable way to call it. Most people call it 'The void'. and I recall some people using the void in some sentences. 'Sent him to the void' or something like that, I forget exactly.

Also, hades is not hell, it is just a place for 'shadows' of people to go to, no? So a non hell place like Drov can exist very easily.

Greb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.

Grebber - One who grebs.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PM
Greb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

sIG'D.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Tembo
That Kuraci whore really knew how to grease the ol tembo
Amor Fati

Quote from: Drayab on January 15, 2013, 02:57:31 PM
Carru

noun - A large, antlered, and often territorial quadruped of the northlands

verb - To physically dominate, often with a hint of humor.
     "Yeah, old loudmouth Amos was talking shit to Malik at sparring yesterday. Guess Malik didn't care much for it, cos he carrued him pretty good for it."

I will state, this is the only one I used before this thread. And i used it as  pretty much "ROFLSTOMP"
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Feck 

An alternate to "Fuck."
"Feck you, you dirty fecker!"

Krath

1. Shortened form for "Suk-Krath," the name of the sun.
2. (Obscure) A place of fiery torment, generally believed by some parties to exist within or near the sun.
3. An expletive, similar in use to "god."
"Krath-damn(ed)!"
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Breed

Derogatory term for half-elves, derived from "half-breed."

Necker

Derogatory term or slur for elves. See also: sharp.

----

Took me awhile to figure those two out.

"Skinny" has also been used, at times, to refer to elves though it is more rare than "necker."
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Not sure how "derogatory" breed is, as its used in coded echos as a norm-term for half-breeds and has been accepted as an sdesc for PCs.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Quote from: Jenred on March 03, 2013, 11:39:48 PM
Not sure how "derogatory" breed is, as its used in coded echos as a norm-term for half-breeds and has been accepted as an sdesc for PCs.

It can be used in that way. I've been trying to think of something else to call them for a while though. my mind keeps going to "Mud Blood" Like from harry potter. it would fit, if there was enough actual dirt on zalanthas for normal people to know wtf mud is.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Shitblood. Thinblood. Half-ear. Half-human. Half-leg.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on March 04, 2013, 03:19:58 AM
Shitblood. Thinblood. Half-ear. Half-human. Half-leg.

I do like those first two.
+1

March 04, 2013, 04:12:00 AM #41 Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:14:20 AM by Delirium
To this day I get amused about this one scene where an old aquaintance called my half-eleven Sergeant 'Half-ear' and the soldiers she was with got all ready for a rumble... they didn't realize she used to call herself that as a teenager.

Shitblood is pretty good. Half-ear seems kinda mild but I like it for nostalgic reasons. ;)

I can't stand Feck but it's probably irrational. It jerks me out of the dialogue every time I read it because my brain goes 'you misspelled Fuck'

Quote from: Delirium on March 04, 2013, 04:12:00 AM
To this day I get amused about this one scene where an old aquaintance called my half-eleven Sergeant 'Half-ear' and the soldiers she was with got all ready for a rumble... they didn't realize she used to call herself that as a teenager.

Shitblood is pretty good. Half-ear seems kinda mild but I like it for nostalgic reasons. ;)

I can't stand Feck but it's probably irrational. It jerks me out of the dialogue every time I read it because my brain goes 'you misspelled Fuck'

Same. I don't get why you don't just say Fuck. it's a bit silly, and generally makes me think that when I read it. But hey, to each there own.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on March 04, 2013, 04:47:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feck

No definition there is close to what it's used as in game. LOL.

and then there's...

Verb meaning 'to steal' (e.g. 'They had fecked cash out of the rector's room.' [1])[2]
That sounds dirty.

Quote from: Delirium on March 04, 2013, 04:12:00 AM

For some reason I'm only okay with using 'feck' as a noun. Calling someone a thievin' feck = a-okay. Saying that someone is a fecking loser = 'you misspelled fuck.'

It really doesn't make any sense to me either.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

'Feck' sounds cute and endearing. 'Fuck' has a nice deep angry resonance to it. Also, speed causes me to default to 'fuck' when I have to put in my daily >think (a recurring sense of dread) "Oh, fuck me."

Do we have Gyppo yet?

Gyppo - short of Gpysies, can be deragotry.

I don't know if Zalanthan "Gypsy" is itself a slur on the Tan Muark, but it's probably worth noting it refers to a specific tribal nation.

March 04, 2013, 07:02:17 PM #47 Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:04:01 PM by Fredd
I've used this as a Northern Bynner.

Cock Vestric:

Slang, Derogatory

Noun, Someone who flies from cock to cock quickly.

Aka: A male f'me who likes men, or a female f'me

"You were with Molly last night? You might want to get checked for lovers bleed man, she's a real cock vestric."

Quote from: Fredd on March 04, 2013, 07:02:17 PM

Cock Vestric:

Slang, Derogatory

"You were with Molly last night? You might want to get checked for lovers bleed man, she's a real cock vestric."
This bothers me a bit.
Quote from: Armageddon Quickstart
Avoid imposing your own interpretations and norms on the game world. For example, there is no sexism on Zalanthas; women and men are treated equally. This means that the following would not happen in Armageddon: a man expressing shame at being beaten sparring by a woman; someone referring to women as needing protection or coddling; a woman being shamed for sexual promiscuity while a man is praised for it. Attitudes towards sexuality are broad. Homosexuality is common, and not seen as aberrant. Multiple sex partners are common among Zalanthans, particularly in the upper classes.
This would fall into the real world attitudes category for me and I'd avoid it.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

March 04, 2013, 07:13:29 PM #49 Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:21:34 PM by Fredd
Quote from: ShaLeah on March 04, 2013, 07:10:15 PM
Quote from: Fredd on March 04, 2013, 07:02:17 PM

Cock Vestric:

Slang, Derogatory

This bothers me a bit.
Quote from: Armageddon Quickstart
Avoid imposing your own interpretations and norms on the game world. For example, there is no sexism on Zalanthas; women and men are treated equally. This means that the following would not happen in Armageddon: a man expressing shame at being beaten sparring by a woman; someone referring to women as needing protection or coddling; a woman being shamed for sexual promiscuity while a man is praised for it. Attitudes towards sexuality are broad. Homosexuality is common, and not seen as aberrant. Multiple sex partners are common among Zalanthans, particularly in the upper classes.
This would fall into the real world attitudes category for me and I'd avoid it.

Multiple sex partners is one thing. The time I came up with it, I was talking about someone that was fucking pretty much every man she could, in every city.

There's a difference.