Zalanthan Dictionary

Started by Bast, January 15, 2013, 11:32:24 AM

A vestric is timid by nature, as per the docs... Not sure if it really fits the meaning you're going for.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on March 04, 2013, 07:29:20 PM
A vestric is timid by nature, as per the docs... Not sure if it really fits the meaning you're going for.

Following your line of thought. You are probably right this was like 2.5 years ago, i was still somewhat new, and I thought it was funny, and worked. but now in hindsight. I agree with you.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

The Ivory and The Black.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Shade - a message of departure, and goodwill  (as in, "May you find shade.")
Shitcloaks - an employee of the Byn (as in, "The gnarly looking man over there is Lieutenant Amos, with his band of shitcloaks.")
Mindbender, mindworm - someone possessing latent and powerful psionic ability (as in, "That woman over there knows everything, a few of us think she's a mindworm.")
Gicker, Wiggler - an elementalist (as in, "Today was good, I made a year's salary for a bounty on a wiggler's head.")
Defiler, Asher, Ashlayer, Abomination - a sorcerer;  lesser known as Preservers  (as in, "The trail of ash tells us the defiler was on the run.")
Sid, Black, Obsidian - a common reference to Allanaki minted coins  (as in, "Gimme the sid, or I'll gut ya like a jozhal.")
Mantishead - an OOC term for death  (as in, "Ah, damn!  Mantishead again!")
Githclit - an OOC reference to the appearance of the Armageddon logo  (as in, "Awwyeah, I'm totally gonna rock the githclit tee in public.")

Quote from: Kismetic on March 04, 2013, 08:44:21 PM
Mindbender, mindworm - someone possessing latent and powerful psionic ability (as in, "That woman over there knows everything, a few of us think she's a mindworm.")
Gicker, Wiggler - an elementalist (as in, "Today was good, I made a year's salary for a bounty on a wiggler's head.")
Defiler, Asher, Ashlayer, Abomination - a sorcerer;  lesser known as Preservers  (as in, "The trail of ash tells us the defiler was on the run.")

I just wanted to point out to new players that, unlike in most Arm players' lives, where Rule of Law is more of less assumed (and people aren't usually in life-threatening circumstances), the above terms are almost never used as jokes or brags in game.

You will almost never:
>say (chuckling) Malik's smart. We should call him "mindworm" or something.
>say (from the shadows, flipping a dagger in the air) You can call me...The Abomination.

And when you do, it is generally a call-out to every PC in the know, even enemies who hate each other, to put down what they're doing and come stomp on your face. A lot. (c.f. "mantis head")
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

That's a good point about the psionicist.  If someone's making an actual dictionary helpfile, though, I'm sure some better example sentences can be thought up.

Mind freak- A psionist. Someone with more psychic abilities then normal people. Generally killed when found.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Kismetic on March 07, 2013, 08:40:56 PM
That's a good point about the psionicist.  If someone's making an actual dictionary helpfile, though, I'm sure some better example sentences can be thought up.
Psionicist: That asshole that ruins plots.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Fredd on March 07, 2013, 09:38:06 PM
Mind freak worm - A psionist. Someone with more psychic abilities then normal people. Generally killed when found.

aka "mindbenders," "brainworms"

I'm really disappointed there isn't more lingo, you guys are clutching at straws with the psi stuff!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on March 08, 2013, 05:03:17 PM
I'm really disappointed there isn't more lingo, you guys are clutching at straws with the psi stuff!

I always make up my own, but this is more for traditional words, I think.

Spratling - Young children; Generally those under the age of seven.
Chub - Rinthi term denoting how someone is a chub. General consensus on what a chub is is still up for debate.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

March 09, 2013, 03:47:44 AM #62 Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:50:10 AM by HavokBlue
I fucking love "Chub".

Chub can be negative or friendly, depending on the context.

"Shade and profit, chubs."

or

"I'll fuckin' gut you if you don't drop your pouch, chub."

Edit:
And on that note, sometimes "profit" is used as a farewell in the Rinth. It's like a Rinthi' equivalent of "shade".
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I didn't post because I thought I was the only one who said this, but I recently found out at least a few people use elf as a verb!

Elf: v. To get over, steal, cheat, lie, do someone wrong via dishonesty.

Finding this out totally  made my day and made me feel like one of the cool kids!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on March 09, 2013, 09:25:50 AM
I didn't post because I thought I was the only one who said this, but I recently found out at least a few people use elf as a verb!

Finding this out totally  made my day and made me feel like one of the cool kids!

I totally do this too. It seems apt if thieving is such a racial/cultural part of an elf's life. It makes me giggle OOC when I use it though, because I can just picture how bemused the other person is if they don't get it, but it's so perfect!
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

In a similar vein, I've used "to neck" as a substitute for "elf" because it also sounds like "nick" and that's funny to me.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 09, 2013, 10:56:06 AM
Quote from: Barzalene on March 09, 2013, 09:25:50 AM

Finding this out totally  made my day and made me feel like one of the cool kids!

I totally do this too. It seems apt if thieving is such a racial/cultural part of an elf's life. It makes me giggle OOC when I use it though, because I can just picture how bemused the other person is if they don't get it, but it's so perfect!

w00t!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: Fathi on March 09, 2013, 08:21:45 PM
In a similar vein, I've used "to neck" as a substitute for "elf" because it also sounds like "nick" and that's funny to me.

I use the term "elfed" like people use the term "Jewed"

Not that I have ANYTHING against jews, as my best friend IRL is jewish (and he plays here too)

That's where I got it too. And I am Jewish. I think that sort of thing is disgusting in real life, but so completely appropriate for the game world.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Indeed.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Barzalene on March 09, 2013, 09:17:48 PM
That's where I got it too. And I am Jewish. I think that sort of thing is disgusting in real life, but so completely appropriate for the game world.

Yes, racism in Zalanthas is not only acceptable, but supported and required by the documentation. No elf will ever get away with claiming "racial profiling."

Quote from: typical necker"Corporal Funishment just stopped me 'cause I'm an elf!"

Quote from: Lord Templar Hardnose"Yup. Guilty."
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Barzalene on March 09, 2013, 09:17:48 PM
It helps when written Allundean has the attributes of a Semitic language and the elves are currently in diaspora post the Great Coming Together  8)

April 16, 2013, 06:04:40 AM #72 Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:14:25 AM by DustMight
Quote from: Drayab on January 15, 2013, 12:15:05 PM
I've never heard vestric used that way IG, and honestly, there's nothing about a vestric that suggests quality to me. It's basically a rat-chicken...

Agreed about Vestric.  I think about their nasty little hands/paws when I think of 'em.
Same with "cock vestric" doesn't work for me.

But I'll give you:

Chips:  another word for obsidian coins because they are basically chips of obsidian.  *sigh* I've used it with a number of characters.  Don't think anyone else does, though!
          That's me, though, always on the cutting edge!  ;-)

Mud-blood, mixed-blood: halfbreeds (didn't see it yet)

Wiggler, 'gicker : magick-using folk (slang which I personally despise)

Witch:  better slang for magick-using folk

Ash-maker: defiler

I LOVE salt-worm for male genitalia. I'm going to start using that - thanks to whomever suggested that.  Perfect for southern characters.

Little Templar: seen this used for male genitalia

the sweet or the black:  (as in "a little of the sweet/black") for a hit of Thol spice.  Just thought I might have to start using "Red Storm Tar."  =)

Terms for people: Southie, Northie, Stormer.

Desert elves: Sandhoppers, runners

Gith: Hunchies, clawfeet

Magickers: Witches, abominations, 'gicks, 'gickers, wigglers, and my personal favorite, callers. Sandcaller, Stormcaller, Windcaller, etc.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

May 12, 2013, 07:56:24 PM #74 Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:57:58 PM by Fredd
Breed out/ breeding out:

The tendency for half elves to have mood swings.

The moody half-breed says in sirihish, as he drinks whisky

"This is the best day of my life"

the amos says in sirihish, glancing at The moody half-breed

"Must not have had an interesting life"

The moody half-breed exclaims in sirihish

"Fuck you asshole! I'll rape your chaltons and impregnate your daughter!"

The amos says in sirihish

"Damn, i didn't mean for you to breed out on me"