Getting Murdered

Started by Scarecrow, November 16, 2012, 01:09:19 AM

Quote from: musashi on November 19, 2012, 04:08:44 AM
Like Fathi said, sometimes the death isn't always expounded upon ala James Bond Villian Style.

I'm aware. As described in my above posts  ;)

Quote from: musashi on November 19, 2012, 04:08:44 AM
Like Fathi said, sometimes the death isn't always expounded upon ala James Bond Villian Style.

I doubt folks are expecting that so much as if they think their PC was asking for it (knowingly pissing other PCs off, doing dangerous work, etc) vs. just suddenly finding a knife in their back.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Sometimes you die for no reason, though.  You can take every precaution, have all the right connections, bribe all the right people, and still get killed.

I'm not complaining about it, just stating a fact of Zalanthan life.  I've been on both sides of it.

the worst is when you bribe a guy, who turns around and has you killed anyways.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 19, 2012, 09:32:26 AM

Achievement unlocked:  MCB trifecta.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I had a character whose boss warned him not to associate with another group because they were bad news.

Though my character died to a tembo, I later found out that this "other group" did in fact want to murder my PC ... because my boss had paid them to do so.

I fucking love Armageddon.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I once had a character that died in a single prompt backstab. Straight to mantis head. I was told by my boss to go somewhere, and then I died.

Later I found out that there was some actual backstory to WHY I died. Similar to what Nyr said... I was just a footnote in a larger scheme. I'm still mad about it, but I'm more mad at the situation that arose making my character next in line to die, than the death itself.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 19, 2012, 09:38:29 AM
Achievement unlocked:  MCB trifecta.

I laughed about this for like 10 minutes. There were tears.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

People don't appreciate how difficult it is to pk in a locked room.

The risk of being locked in the apartment because the target is unaware of the shadower and just wants to log off totally prevented me from wanting to pk them many times. The race to type follow self before the potential victim would spam walk into their apartment and lock the door to log off is very exciting.

Being a murder victim is difficult, being a good murderer is even more difficult without many practices.
There is no happy ending on Armageddon.

I always wish up prior to any pk scene if at all possible. That way staff can watch in on some of the stuff leading up to it and watch the murder scene itself. Also, to make things react more realistically...like having to worry about other ears,  if the other person comes up with some realistic way to escape that the code doesn't allow for, or cleaning up the mess afterward, etc. The ones I hate though is where you try to give the other person a chance to escape (on an OOC level) by having your pc make realistic mistakes they might make or whatever, and someone else jumps in and just kills them.

Shadowed some aide with some assassin like ... 4-5 years ago and got dragged into her apartment, where she promptly logged off. Didnt mean to kill her or anything, I dont even remember why I followed her. Anyway, I stuffed grass in her incense burner and simulated a fire, cried for help. Fire! Fire! Imms were awesome and had the slums lord come investigate, so I escaped :). That happened after ... 4-5 hours irl of just waiting for when she logs back in. I was ready to kill her THEN, just out of sheer frustration.

Was arrange around back then? If so, I hope everything was arranged to be charred and burned! I'm pretty sure there is actually an apartment IG that is all burned up in the room desc...maybe that's it! :p
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Was it that time you were actually Dar?

Made me summon half the militia and cry to templar and threaten half of my contacts?
There is no happy ending on Armageddon.

November 20, 2012, 09:48:31 AM #89 Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:57:46 AM by kayza
I think sneak following someone into their apartment is kind of silly.
Makes no sense.  How are you sneaking past me when I am opening and closing a door?  I'll admit sometimes it's hard to use sneak/hide realistically because the code easily allows you to use it as if it is invisibility.  So the temptation to use it that way is there.

EDIT: I want to add that I am -sure- I have used it unrealistically before(I promptly forgot I did so of course).. so I'm not saying that if you used it this way you are terrible!
:-)

Quote from: kayza on November 20, 2012, 09:48:31 AM
I think sneak following someone into their apartment is kind of silly.
Makes no sense.  How are you sneaking past me when I am opening and closing a door?  I'll admit sometimes it's hard to use sneak/hide realistically because the code easily allows you to use it as if it is invisibility.  So the temptation to use it that way is there.

EDIT: I want to add that I am -sure- I have used it unrealistically before(I promptly forgot I did so of course).. so I'm not saying that if you used it this way you are terrible!

I see what you're saying but I don't think it's all that unrealistic.  In real life when you come home sometimes you open the door, step inside, put a couple bags down or undo a coat then close the door.  Or you're on the phone and a little distracted, that sort of thing.  You don't always slip inside and slam the door closed right away. 
In game though, most people unlock door, open door, close door, lock door so fast I'm surprised -they- have time to get inside :)

Speaking of keys and doors, I've always thought it would be interesting in game to have to 'get' your key from the door, after you lock or unlock it.  I'm sure that most people at some point have left their keys in the door, either when coming home or going out, it would be sort of interesting to have that happen in game too. 

I dont know I think its way to easy to follow someone into an apartment.  :P
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Who's to say you don't ambush them as soon as they step in the door?

I do too think it's pretty easy, despite using the method far too often. Thing is ... there are numerous ways that a capable thief/infiltrator/spy/elf should be capable of getting into a place. Sometimes, it deserves a small rpt and Imm attention, and sometimes ... it doesnt. Personally, in my opinion? Sneak/hide kind of sums all of those various methods up.

The negative side of this is the fact that if you need to shadow someone inside, then ... you're not able to leave when you want to. Every time you do this, you're risking death and ruination of all your plans. Backstabbing someone in a tavern is less risky then shadowing someone inside a locked area. So it kind of balances out.

I've had an instance when I was waiting in a person's apartment, very visible, and scary. The victim would go in and close/relock door and only 'then' realize that I am standing there. Then there's a short moment, and the person unlock/open/ and ran off. It was kind of funny.

I've had fun a few times acting scared shitless by a hidden person suddenly showing themselves. They've never killed me, which I appreciate.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

On the flip side of all this...

Fewer things in Arm are more satisfying.. Than to have spent an obscene amount of time tracking someones movements, getting info, setting up a kill spot and then giving them a scene b4 your PC spears them (or stabs or shoots, etc).

Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dakota on November 20, 2012, 06:02:35 PM

Fewer things in Arm are more satisfying.. Than to have spent an obscene amount of time tracking someones movements, getting info, setting up a kill spot and then giving them a scene b4 your PC spears them (or stabs or shoots, etc).

... Only to have them cast 'mon un element superuber deathspell' you.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 21, 2012, 01:37:57 AM

Or, more annoying, finding out that PC refuses to enter that room for some reason, even if they've been there a million times before, just because "Something seems odd". JUST WALK INTO YOUR DEATH.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Whats the quote? "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Riev on November 21, 2012, 01:50:45 AM
Quote from: evilcabbage on November 21, 2012, 01:37:57 AM

Or, more annoying, finding out that PC refuses to enter that room for some reason, even if they've been there a million times before, just because "Something seems odd". JUST WALK INTO YOUR DEATH.

Yeah thats pretty lousy. I have a few stories but they're all IC, though I've been lucky and have almost always got my mark...

The other problem is after you finally PK someone that hoards of time, RP, plotting, etc have gone into... About a day after the deed is done, you'll see a post on the GDB by a guy going: "So long Arm! I'm quitting."

I feel pretty bad about it when it results to that. Or maybe it was coincidence.
Czar of City Elves.