The T'zai Byn as a Newbie Clan

Started by Ourla, November 01, 2012, 03:24:28 PM

Quote from: hyzhenhok on November 20, 2012, 09:54:16 AM
Quote from: boog on November 20, 2012, 09:50:46 AM
The only reason it's the main tavern is because the PCs make it that way. ;)

Well, it's also the new character spawn point.

Which of course is aimed there because it is the main tavern...

I wouldn't be sad to see the Sun King's Sanctuary go the same way as the Trader's Inn (? I think I forgot its name) in Allanak.
It did. Then they rebuilt it.

The problem with the T'zai Byn is that they don't let elementalists/mindbenders/sorcerers/monsters/demons/half-elves join.  Especially in Tuluk!

Oh wait... it's Tuluki hate cycle, not the Byn's turn yet.... my bad.
[/sarcasm]

Tuluk and Allanak are similar, but there are difference.  The differences between the Sun King's Sanctuary and The Trader's Inn are an example of one difference.  The fact that Tuluk's nobles work more closely with "the common people" and don't have the same cultural physical distance defined as a norm (based on their history/the rebellion) makes it different than Allanak.  The IC justification is that the nobility lost their aversions to being around commoners during the Allanaki occupation of the Northlands and the subsequent rebellion and liberation from it.  The surviving nobles had little choice who they worked in order to achieve victory.  They had to work with grebbers/raiders/criminals/hunters/muls/mutants/etc.  Some of the existing noble houses (at least one) were commoners and weren't granted nobility until -after- the liberation of the North.  They have a recent commoner ancestry.  This difference is illustrated in the game.  The Tuluki noble quarter is open to commoners.  Each noble estate has a bell outside that anyone can come and ring, if they desire, and gain the audience of someone inside (one would probably need to wish up about this, or coordinate with staff, but it's IC feasible).   I think it's a shame players in Tuluk don't seem agree, treating Tuluk much like Allanak in that respect.  I would think Tuluki nobility would understand that it was a bunch of grubby dudes that smell like a stable that liberated Tuluk, that they (the nobility) used to be the same as those grubby dudes and have have nothing to be ashamed of.  Maybe even realizing that those grubby dudes could also become Nobles one day (ala the Grey/Great Hunt).  Maybe the bards of Poet's Circle could start a Tuluki history appreciation day.

Also, the Sun King's Sanctuary used to be a building next to a stable and a wagon yard, sitting all alone on the side of the road with little to nothing for miles.  All kinds of people came and enjoyed, mixing and mingling together.  It was the hub of the Northlands.  At the time it was the same high class place it is now, even more so.  It had  wines, a spice den, game room, dance hall, dining room, all that.  I don't think it's changed to an -even more- upscale establishment.  If Tuluki nobles/templars need a more isolated/exclusive establishment to hang out in to be noble, there is the Tea House in The Poet's Circle available to serve that need (Tuluk has no shortage of taverns).

If anything more people should hang out in the Sanctuary. It can be like the Bard's Barrel used to be, a sort of middle ground where all types are considered to be OK.

Oh, I was jut commenting from what people seem to say on the forums! I really don't know, since Tuluk and I haven't danced in a bit. :)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Love it!

This thread starts with someone asking if the T'zai Byn in 'Nak is a good place for new players and ends up with someone saying they were forced to wear pants in Tuluk.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I... I...

I did not mean to start a hate cycle of Tuluk.

Krath's sake people...
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Malken on November 20, 2012, 04:13:49 PM
Love it!

This thread starts with someone asking if the T'zai Byn in 'Nak is a good place for new players and ends up with someone saying they were forced to wear pants in Tuluk.

You are saying this like it wasn't a predetermined conclusion.

Any time you talk about the T'zai Byn, at some point someone will mention how wussy Tuluk is, and then someone else will mention something about not wearing pants.

It is a given.

That being said I do not hate Tuluk. I like Tuluk. It is so completely different from Allanak that when I travel there it makes me feel like I have actually GONE somewhere instead of the whole world just being "the same".

But, let's not pretend like Tuluk is half as hardcore as Nak. It just isn't.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on November 20, 2012, 04:58:00 PM
It is a given.

It is known. Most of my time spent with Tuluki characters were pantless, as well. Oh Snap!

On a more serious note, yes, playing a Bynner right now in 'Nak would be a great time. Lots of long lived leaders and so many players in it it's crazy.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Let's take the Tuluki derails to this thread?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I think this comment pertains more to the T'zai Byn than the nuances of Tuluk v. Allanak, so:

I'm just going to pop in and say I've played T'zai Byn Tuluk a few times, and I enjoyed it. I don't think it's impossible to keep a T'zai Byn unit alive up there at all (however most do end up transferred south when somebody stores since that's the main hub) - though I will say that I don't think you can play the same sort of PC you would in Allanak either, at least not without some consequences. And should you really expect anything different? Mercenaries can exist outside of the 'dirty, stinky, crude meathead' trope.

Also...

there is more than one tavern in Tuluk
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Desertman on November 20, 2012, 03:16:26 PM
Two of them resulted in Lirathan templars actually pulling me aside and giving me etiquette lessons.

One of them gave me pants.

Oh, Gage Gritshaw...

Why not app a Bynner sergeant that works out of Tuluk and vacations in the South?  As a Bynner sergeant in the south, why not take more trips North to season your runners and let 'em go shopping? As a long-lived leader PC in Tuluk, I rarely saw shitcloaks just hanging out.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Oh no...A derail!

It seems the purpose of this thread has run its course. The T'zai Byn as a newbie clan...Yes, and no!

You can continue your discussion on Tuluk vs Allanak in the current iteration of hatecycle. Thanks!
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff