How do things stand?

Started by RRiplash, October 22, 2012, 06:02:50 AM

I haven't played for something like two and a half years.  What obvious changes should I know about?

Also, Arm. Reborn was cancelled?  What's that all about?
Quote from: NyrYou know what would stop people from complaining all of the time?

Nothing.  Nothing ever will.

QuoteCan I have my old character back?

Sure! But he'd be dead.

QuoteCitizens of Allanak!  House Nenyuk is pleased to advise that it has new additions to its rental market.  Enterprising souls will be happy to note that warehouse space is now available on a yearly basis.  These are hotly contested properties and will not be on the market long! If you are seeking a more substantial property for your business endeavours please talk to our representative.  You will find him located in Allanak's Bazaar, on the site of the old Ministry of Trade building.

"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

It's pretty much the same game, except with some cool updates and a few tweaks here and there. Nothing major that would stop you from rolling up a character and jumping into play unhindered. :)

(do it)
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

There are also warehouses in Tuluk. As far Armageddon Reborn, a search of the board will yield many results, including the Staff announcement and consequent player discussion.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

When you get 'expel' on your psionic skills... don't assume you're a mindbender.  Its presumed to be normal.

Thanks for the updates.

Turns out that my char is still alive.  The game tells me he has aged 22 years since I last logged on.  I don't remember anything about him.
Quote from: NyrYou know what would stop people from complaining all of the time?

Sure! But he'd be dead.

That's hilarious! Don't store unless like...they are 90 or something...and just roll them in with amnesia or something. Haha! I wish I'd left a character alive when I left.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I haven't actually logged in with him yet and I was actually considering the amnesia idea.  It would give me a chance to find out some of the basic IC things I don't have a clue about.  You would be amazed how many hours I have played without speaking to another character.  I find it intimidating, since everyone seems to know so much more than me about how to play in the game world.

Sure! But he'd be dead.

We don't know your character's situation or location, but

a) this is why the biography command would be awesome to use - being able to remember the things that happened some time ago
b) just read his background and go with it - send a request to staff to let them know what's up
c) amnesia/delusion would be pretty awesome - especially if you try not to tell anyone
d) read the history page! Were you around for this?:

Quote from: History Page1596 (Year 56 Age 21)
    An earthquake strikes the whole Known, being felt everywhere and by everyone. Then, a large shape crosses the sky and seems to settle over Suk-Krath, bringing complete darkness to the world. In the darkness, moisture falls from the air, and for a brief time, rain comes to the Known.

As the darkness stretches on over days and into a week, the streets of the cities become dangerous. In Allanak, rioters set fire to buildings and lynch gemmed; in Tuluk, crime runs rampant. Nobles and templars for the most part remain huddled in safety.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

You know what?  I think the last time I came back to the game, that stuff had just happened and a bunch of stuff was different.  I think that's why I still had a living character when I stopped playing.  I just wasn't up for rediscovering all the nooks and crannies.

Sure! But he'd be dead.

I logged in with a character that had aged.. much more.. I suppose I could have brought him back, and rejoined my life, but I thought it was essential that I start back from the beginning and relearn.
I think I made the right choice.

Quote from: RRiplash on October 23, 2012, 05:18:30 PM
You know what?  I think the last time I came back to the game, that stuff had just happened and a bunch of stuff was different.  I think that's why I still had a living character when I stopped playing.  I just wasn't up for rediscovering all the nooks and crannies.

My gawd! That's the best part of the game! When you still have stuff to explore and discover and every corner you turn it's like...Wow! Don't be put off by the learning curve or other players 'knowing more', the playerbase here is super understanding and supportive, don't be afraid to ask for help, don't worry about making a fool of yourself if you make a mistake, people will let it slide or use it as an opportunity to teach. If you just enjoy yourself all the stuff you need to 'learn' will just naturally fall into place.

Amnesiac old character...definitely a good way to learn!

October 24, 2012, 02:35:41 PM #12 Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:47:35 PM by kayza

Things sometimes stand on two legs.
In Arm sometimes things have six or more legs!
Tables have four.
Unless they have three to prevent wobbling.

I just had to! I am a child I know but I know others were thinking it.
-10 Board karma points.

EDITED: For affect!
:-)

Don't forget that Zalanthas has found world peace.

Quote from: Shepard on October 24, 2012, 05:10:50 PM

I can't tell if this is a joke or cheeky commentary on the state of the game world.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on October 24, 2012, 05:17:31 PM

I can't tell if this is a joke or cheeky commentary on the state of the game world.

Maybe a bit of both, plus a touch of truth.

I remember when I came back after a year of not playing, and I tried to join the Arm of the Dragon and was like "I can't wait to kill some Tuluki, I fucking hate them!" and was told in reponse "Uhhh, we are at peace with Tuluk" - and I was dumbfounded because I wasn't around for the world peace declaration. Though as far as I know, it is still in effect. So if you are coming in as a new character and haven't played recently - this IS a considerable change you should be aware of.

Erm...

I remember "world peace" and it was far more like a cold war than peacetime.

Quote from: Shepard on October 24, 2012, 05:21:36 PM
Quote from: HavokBlue on October 24, 2012, 05:17:31 PM

Maybe a bit of both, plus a touch of truth.

I remember when I came back after a year of not playing, and I tried to join the Arm of the Dragon and was like "I can't wait to kill some Tuluki, I fucking hate them!" and was told in reponse "Uhhh, we are at peace with Tuluk" - and I was dumbfounded because I wasn't around for the world peace declaration. Though as far as I know, it is still in effect. So if you are coming in as a new character and haven't played recently - this IS a considerable change you should be aware of.
Well the OP said he's only been gone like two and a half years.  I've been around ten years and with the exception of the Copper War and only like one or two other minor skirmishes, I don't believe there has been open combat between Allanaki and Tuluki soldiers.

Sure, spies are caught an executed.  Sometimes people from the other city are caught and executed for other reasons.  But for a very very long while, it's been exceedingly rare for soldiers of either city to notch their belts for having killed one from the other.

I'm not sure why either state worries about spies...

"Lord Templar...yes...I can confirm...the Faithful Lord -does- have tregil for his dinner...every night."

Have to know what's the best kind of meat to stuff the dwarf assassin in to.

There are plenty of reasons for spies, plenty of intrigue, plenty of corruption, murder, and betrayal, all happening on Zalanthas.

There is no 'world peace'. There may be an accord between Allanak and Tuluk. Maybe not. Maybe that's something you were told, that wasn't universally true. Regardless, Staff isn't going to arbitrarily start a war between City States just to mix things up. We try to hold to a high realistic integrity. People who are movers and shakers do things, and we make the physical world react.

In the past RL year-ish, this happened:

c.1607 (Year 67 Age 21)
Over the period of a year, the Red Fangs clash with the Sun Runners. Vicious war begins between the two elven tribes. After bloody battles ranging from the steppes of the Tablelands to the sands of the Red Desert, the Red Fangs have been all but destroyed.

Just because you were not a part of it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

If you don't think there's stuff going on behind the scenes, it will likely be difficult to convince you, even if you were to see all of the IG evidence. It's all around you!
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Peace would be a very strong word for north-south relations. It's not all-out war, as such, but it's hardly near friendly.

Try waving around a Jade Cross in the Sun King's Sanctuary, see how well that goes for you.  :P
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Personally, though, I think a peace treaty might be pretty cool.

Open embassies in both cities.  Have nobles traveling back and forth as emissaries.  Have the two empires try to work together towards some mutual goal.

Meanwhile, tensions run high in taverns as the two sides are brought together.  Espionage has a real purpose: figure out how the other side is plotting to screw you over and/or screw them over first.  The cost of insults/theft/spying/murder is lessened if done against uneasy allies as opposed to Houses from the same city, which sometimes have a tendency to smack down nobles who cause trouble.  As a result, such activities become more common.

In short, I think a formal treaty could actually increase conflict.

In theory... I am worried that a large portion of PCs would just throw conflict out the window... and then complain that there is no conflict.

It'd have to be done very well, and there would have to be some movers and shakers to really set the tone.

If peace doesn't work out, that is if it works out too well, it can always just fall apart.