How do things stand?

Started by RRiplash, October 22, 2012, 06:02:50 AM

Quote from: Delirium on October 24, 2012, 10:32:56 PM
I am worried that a large portion of PCs would just throw conflict out the window... and then complain that there is no conflict.

Would that be much different than the current world atmosphere?

I agree with Shepard that there is a kind of world peace, or perhaps a cease fire would be a better term for it.

There is still conflict, sure, but it's on the micro scale between PCs (usually) as opposed to the macro scale between Tuluk & Allanak.

I also think Moe has a great idea here. Creating embassies would be pretty cool, lead to many possible plots, and if it failed, then maybe there would be another war. Seems win-win to me.

Diplomatic packet delivery missions would become a thing.  As well as diplomatic packet interceptions.
Quote from: NyrYou know what would stop people from complaining all of the time?

Nothing.  Nothing ever will.

QuoteCan I have my old character back?

Sure! But he'd be dead.

'No mister jihaen, I don't know where your runner went; I assure you my soldiers are more professional than that. It must have been Gith. Ahem. Yes.'
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Ask yourself:
Is it safe for a Southern Noble to travel to Tuluk? To stay there? Why or why not?
Is it safe for a Northern Noble to travel to Allanak? To stay there? Why or why not?
Can soldiers, from Allanak or Tuluk, display colors of their station and rank when abroad? Why or why not?

After that, consider if there is 'world peace', or even a 'cease fire'. Sounds like more of a Cold War to me.

The Cold War, often dated from 1947–1991, was a sustained state of political and military tension between the powers of the Western world, led by the United States and its NATO allies, and the communist world, led by the Soviet Union, its satellite states and allies.

I like the tension between Tuluk and Allanak, and it definitely doesn't seem happy-go-lucky-let's-be-buddies to me, even on the surface. All out war is kind of boring to me, as a player. I played through the Copper Wars, and it's easy to look back on it with incredible fondness, but it was a spam-fest murder-ville. Sometimes it was fun, most times it was lame and incredibly difficult to figure out what the hell was going on. It felt way too H&S to me -- I almost would have preferred the Game of Thrones Gloss Over, to most of it, with a final battle like the Battle of Blackwater to finish it up. But, I also admit, i'm probably the vocal minority on that one.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

For some reason, when I'm playing nakis or rinthis, I can't really hate or despise the other side. Am I alone in this? I would only change one thing about conflict in Zalanthas, and that would be to give some real reason for tension between rinthis and nakis. Not crazy huge but something I could latch onto.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I don't really feel it from ya'll. But I turn the hate up to 11 on those dirty little fuckers.

Quote from: Cind on October 25, 2012, 03:45:35 PM
For some reason, when I'm playing nakis or rinthis, I can't really hate or despise the other side. Am I alone in this? I would only change one thing about conflict in Zalanthas, and that would be to give some real reason for tension between rinthis and nakis. Not crazy huge but something I could latch onto.

Then just give them a reason to hate you.
Quote from: NyrYou know what would stop people from complaining all of the time?

Nothing.  Nothing ever will.

QuoteCan I have my old character back?

Sure! But he'd be dead.

The labyrinth is technically still part of Allanak, a rinther is still an Allanaki, at least more so than a Red Stormer or a Tuluki...so how much friction should there be? Rinthi's might dislike southsiders because they live in nicer houses, eat better food, have more money and get them arrested...and southsiders would dislike rinthi's because they rob them and smell bad and cause trouble...But there's also mutual benefit to be had from tentative alliances between characters and organizations in the two parts of the city...so...

The more poignant divides in the city are racial, and I prefer the 'rinth when there are east/west turf wars.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on October 25, 2012, 08:05:22 PM

The labyrinth is technically still part of Allanak, a rinther is still an Allanaki, at least more so than a Red Stormer or a Tuluki...so how much friction should there be? Rinthi's might dislike southsiders because they live in nicer houses, eat better food, have more money and get them arrested...and southsiders would dislike rinthi's because they rob them and smell bad and cause trouble...But there's also mutual benefit to be had from tentative alliances between characters and organizations in the two parts of the city...so...

The more poignant divides in the city are racial, and I prefer the 'rinth when there are east/west turf wars.

Rinth vs Southside human

As I see it, to a 'nakki, the 'rinther in general is just another scumbag spawned in a nest of thieves and cutthroats, just some other you're fairly indifferent to. Little hate involved.
To the 'rinther, Southside is another country, a ready source of wealth if you have the skill to exploit it, and to stay out of the clutches of the filthy stinking Arm.
And on another level....well, there is stability enough to enable each side to milk the other.