Power Emoting! Rawr!

Started by kayza, September 18, 2012, 02:44:05 PM

This thread has crushed many patrons.  End it!

September 23, 2012, 06:57:02 AM #51 Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:22:03 AM by Maker
Quote from: Spider on September 22, 2012, 11:07:27 PM
Quote from: Maker on September 22, 2012, 08:44:51 AM
At what point were you planning to relate that back to the discussion? :)  

Your extensive Wikipedia research on random numbers notwithstanding, the fact remains that a random draw mechanic can easily be implemented with decent design such that it would generate believable results in numerous areas.  No one needs to implement the same mechanic from another system here. It is a simple matter to whip one up in a half hour using a basic random number generator.

...and absolutely nothing is random in the universe.    ::)

Where's your data for that blanket statement? I thought of a few things the moment I read your blanket statement that at this point have no pattern.

Because you nor I can see them does not preclude that the patterns exist.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

September 23, 2012, 09:25:23 AM #52 Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:29:34 AM by musashi
I always thought the heisenberg uncertainty principle pretty much settled that there is random stuff in the universe.

Or was he just power emoting all over the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences?

The short statured, wiry German man leaps across the table to accept the noble
prize offered his way. Everyone cheers! He goes down in history for having gotten the
better of Einstein!

The slightly pudgy German man with crazy hair says out of character: "Wait, dude no
you can't do that."

The short statured, wiry German man bows and bows, roses thrown at his feet to the
sound of glorious trumpets!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on September 23, 2012, 09:25:23 AM
I always thought the heisenberg uncertainty principle pretty much settled that there is random stuff in the universe.

No.  It only states that there is a limit to with what precision we can know certain information about a particle.  It does not address randomness.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

Quote from: Delirium on September 23, 2012, 12:54:21 AM
how did we get from power emoting to randomized code epeen?

Bc I'm the best troll on the gdb, hands down.

September 23, 2012, 05:49:18 PM #55 Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:51:34 PM by path
I think Malifaxis summed it up so well you could practically make a helpfile off of his commentary.

Although I wish he wouldn't call it the Comfort Rule. Sounds pervy.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: Kismetic on September 23, 2012, 03:37:34 AM

I typed out a reference to that but decided not to post it. You little reference scrub.
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

Quote from: ghostymudy on September 23, 2012, 06:27:59 PM
Quote from: Kismetic on September 23, 2012, 03:37:34 AM

I typed out a reference to that but decided not to post it. You little reference scrub.

An inside joke about power emoting.  I've got jokes, brotha!

September 23, 2012, 07:31:27 PM #58 Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:53:57 PM by musashi
Quote from: Maker on September 23, 2012, 02:26:11 PM
Quote from: musashi on September 23, 2012, 09:25:23 AM

No.  It only states that there is a limit to with what precision we can know certain information about a particle.  It does not address randomness.

Ah I see what you did there.

I'm talking about this random.

QuoteApplied usage in science, mathematics and statistics recognizes a lack of predictability when referring to randomness, but admits regularities in the occurrences of events whose outcomes are not certain.

And you're talking about this random.

QuoteThe Oxford English Dictionary defines "random" as "Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard." This concept of randomness suggests a non-order or non-coherence in a sequence of symbols or steps, such that there is no intelligible pattern or combination.

I figured since the topic of discussion was mathematics and (vaguely) science ... we were using the scientific definition of the term. Whoops. I forgot I was on the GDB.  :o
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

September 23, 2012, 08:58:42 PM #59 Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:00:41 PM by Case
Coming back to the thread:

1.  I am way too excited about random numbers and the associated mathematics. I have done research in the area but jesus christ wtf. I shouldn't post high on caffeine.

2. Maker is talking the kind of one liner wrong or ignorant shit you'd expect from the Republican thread

3. This conversation might as well be in the Republican thread

4. I think this would make an interesting thread topic out in OOC somewhere, could a mod move it there?

5. I already posted on power emoting so have nothing more to add.

I am all about attempts to touch or interact with people instead of saying its done.

I would rather see, "Amos reaches out with his hand in an attempt to grab at Malik's shoulder."
Then a reaction of, "Malik turns to look at the hand grasping his shoulder."

Instead of, "Amos reaches out and grabs Malik's shoulder."
Then a reaction of, "Malik didn't actually get grabbed by Amos, he instead dodged it!"

It just seems cleaner in the first instance.

emote touches ~nyr and there is nothing #nyr can do about it.
:-)

Show me on the doll where the man emoted on you

I say just emote it.  If your target is going to ninja away from an unexpected non-violent light contact, it's going to be jarring regardless of whether or not you left your emote open-ended.

Armageddon has never been a game where you need permission to interact with other players.

I usually leave it open ended, but I don't mind when others simply do simple things to my character.

I like being surprised.

I only remember one instance where I didn't leave the emote open ended.  It added to the scene, but I hope the other player wasn't upset.  They played along.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Marauder Moe on October 04, 2012, 02:04:00 PM
Armageddon has never been a game where you need permission to interact with other players.

^This

I some times leave things opened ended...if its appropriate. But since I am a grown adult I can judge when either way is appropriate.
"I stalk the shadows, I am the one who wears that friendly face. Behind your every move, there is nothing you can do. Pride yourself in the fact that you do not already rot and bake. Be prepared, I am always watching." - Allanaki Assassin

I fthe situation calls for it I have outright let people thump my char before because the situation called for it. If it didn't, I would have emoted something about batting their fucking hand away by kicking them in the jewels.

Pardon the swear word, it is not meant in anger! Just saying, I would... em bats %talia hand away by kicking !talia in the groin.

Not the staffer.

Oh God.

Anyways, on power emoting. The power emotey stuff would be like slamming your fist into somebodies face, or something that could do -real- damage or force your character to do something, i.e. em thumps !malik on the head, forcing ~malik to pass out from the force, as opposed to...
em raises his fist, and brings it down to bop ~malik on ^malik head.

Or this!

em reaches out, and pats ~malik on the shoulder, gently.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

I remember once someone came up to my bar stool and kicked it. Deciding to make things interesting, I emoted having them kick the stool out form under me, having me fall on the floor.  I'm pretty sure they were actually surprised and didn't do anything.  After thinking about it, would that sort of thing be along the same lines as power emoting in that I don't really know how hard the kicked the chair, but I controlling the consequences of their action by choosing what happens next.

On a lighter note:
> emote kills you!

Is the use exclamation points at the end of emotes wrong?  Or does it give added emphasis?

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on October 06, 2012, 12:42:00 PM
I remember once someone came up to my bar stool and kicked it. Deciding to make things interesting, I emoted having them kick the stool out form under me, having me fall on the floor.  I'm pretty sure they were actually surprised and didn't do anything.  After thinking about it, would that sort of thing be along the same lines as power emoting in that I don't really know how hard the kicked the chair, but I controlling the consequences of their action by choosing what happens next.

On a lighter note:
> emote kills you!

Is the use exclamation points at the end of emotes wrong?  Or does it give added emphasis?

I do it a lot when emoting directly prior to a coded action that is supposed to be fast, swift, surprising, etc.

i power emoted in a tavern once. i didn't realize I was, but I sent a complaint about another players reaction... lo and behold, that player complained about me, staff told me "bad dog", and I never did it again. I learned from my mistake :)
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.