Consent

Started by The Lonely Hunter, August 12, 2012, 12:33:51 PM

Another topic got me to thinking. I believe it would be pretty cool if you could avoid OOC for consent. Nothing kills an intense scene and hits the reset button on immersion like having to use the OOC command. However, consent is a needed part of the game. To solve this I propose a small bit of code to help avoid the need to use the OOC command.

When you first enter the game you would be asked what you consent to, prior to pointing. This could be changed latter if you changed your mind but it would allow a player to assess -<variable> <target> and see what you have consented to.

For example:

consent sex/graphic violence/maiming/rape/all

>consent
Currently you consent to: none
>consent sex
You now consent to sex.
>consent graphic violence
You now consent to graphic violence.

>consent
Your choices are sex/graphic violence/maiming/rape/all
You currently consent to: sex, graphic violence

>assess -c man
He consents to: sex, graphic violence

Thoughts?
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Nah that would kill the moment everytime you assessed someone, attaching OOC info to that.. Maybe give it it's own command?

consentcheck Amos

Amos consents to: Graphic violence, Sex
Amos does not consent to: Torture, Maiming

I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Something like that has been proposed often in the last few years.. I think the counter-point is that characters might be ignored or interacted with differently if they had consent for sex on or off..

Can't really imagine the poor maiden PC who has consent for rape on, either..

Anyway, look it up, there's been a few threads on that in the past, yeah.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I've never really "lost my immersion" or been "put out of the mood" by asking a quick "ooc Consent".

And like Malken said, there is a strong possibility that someone would not interact the same with a PC that consentchecks to no. You can say "I'd never do that" but there are 200-300 people that play this game.

Quote from: greasygemo on August 12, 2012, 12:41:29 PM
Nah that would kill the moment everytime you assessed someone, attaching OOC info to that.. Maybe give it it's own command?

consentcheck Amos

Amos consents to: Graphic violence, Sex
Amos does not consent to: Torture, Maiming

consentcheck = assess -c (the c variable being for consent)

I believe we suggested the same thing. A single command to check the status of consent.  :)
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

-Rathustra

I'm happy with things they way they are. I don't want people to be able to check what I may or may not consent to ahead of time and judge whether or not they will interact with me because of that.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Yah, and I'm prejudiced. I might consent to a torture scene with rad rper A and not with jerk-off B because he's just an idiot and playing the whole deal out would feel like a waste of time.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: path on August 12, 2012, 01:01:52 PM
Yah, and I'm prejudiced. I might consent to a torture scene with rad rper A and not with jerk-off B because he's just an idiot and playing the whole deal out would feel like a waste of time.

That too.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Karieith on August 12, 2012, 12:56:21 PM
It ruins "the mood" to ask for permission to do bad/good to character? I...  :-\. I am sorry if a tiny bit of OOC back and forth is detrimental to anyone's immersion.

But I feel OOC works well and I also worry that players would avoid other players if they knew right away that another character won't consent to what they want to do with/to them. Ruining both character's potentials for interaction.

I fail to see why anyone would avoid anyone else because of this. If consent isn't given, it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen simply that it isn't played out (with the exception of rape). Joe can not give consent to be tortured but that doesn't mean his PC isn't tortured, just that he doesn't partake in the scene and it is summarized.
-Ginka

-Rathustra

Quote from: path on August 12, 2012, 01:01:52 PM

A good point, thanks!
-Ginka

-Rathustra

I think...the point is that some people may choose not to flirt with hot girl A...because they already know that she doesn't consent to sexy scenes...and the player behind their character wants some hawt mudsex and a not a fade. Sure, they shouldn't...but players do make OOC choices.

Quote from: Maso on August 12, 2012, 01:09:06 PM
I think...the point is that some people may choose not to flirt with hot girl A...because they already know that she doesn't consent to sexy scenes...and the player behind their character wants some hawt mudsex and a not a fade. Sure, they shouldn't...but players do make OOC choices.

Sadly. I suppose I like to believe that Arm players don't do crap like this but who am I kidding?

Thanks for the constructive input!
-Ginka

-Rathustra

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on August 12, 2012, 01:12:48 PM
Quote from: Maso on August 12, 2012, 01:09:06 PM

Sadly. I suppose I like to believe that Arm players don't do crap like this but who am I kidding?

We have seasoned players...and newer players who will become seasoned players and gradually adapt to our superior ways over time. :p

August 12, 2012, 01:18:46 PM #14 Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:32:22 PM by Riya OniSenshi
Searching the forum is win.

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,39180.0.html - 2010 thread about pretty much the same thing.
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,35237.0.html - 2009 thread about the same thing.
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,15484.0.html - 2005 thread about the same thing.

EDIT: http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15105 - and even older one, it seems...

There's a couple others that returned, but were mostly just about needing consent to rape...

**(Directions: Advance Search link from main gdb page, search for words "consent assess" (no quotation marks) set to match all words, only have checked the boards for general, roleplaying, code, ask the staff, and ask the players.)
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Nope. I don't dig it, son. Just use OOC.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on August 12, 2012, 01:18:46 PM

Thanks for your advise! I don't believe that revisiting something that was last discussed 2 or so years ago is a bad idea.

Posting constructive comments and criticisms is win.  ;)
-Ginka

-Rathustra

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on August 12, 2012, 01:44:00 PM

Thanks for your advise! I don't believe that revisiting something that was last discussed 2 or so years ago is a bad idea.

+1

Just use OOC, because some folk would be more comfortable RPing scenes that require consent with someone they know or who has displayed some semblance of RP ability rather than with AmosDwarf McDoesNotLikeCommas or whatever.

Or perhaps they'd probably be a little bit less willing to RP a sex scene with the horribly-deformed, tentacle-armed half-giant than with the statuesque, nicely-haired man.

I would consent anything with metekillot

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on August 12, 2012, 01:44:00 PM

There's at least 10 pages of comments for you to look though. You're not going to get more "constructive" than what staff has already posted on the subject.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA - This contains all my feelings. Older players will get a chuckle.

Also, I don't think it is deserving of its own flag. Sometimes the quick "OOC Consent" for someone is worthwhile, because maybe AT THAT TIME they just want to fade for times sake, but other times they're all rip roaring for kiyet lion-club sized wangs.

I like to think that real people with real lives (especially since a good portion of us are older than the internet) are mature enough not to be so distracted by a single REQUIRED line of text as to have their -game- experience broken.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

People's openness to these things have the potential to alter drastically due to recent events or even just the mood they happen to be in at present.  There may even be one or two highly specific things that make a player uncomfortable, even if they'd be up for roleplaying 99% of the freaky things you can come up with.  I'd prefer to keep the two to ten second wait than risk upsetting someone needlessly.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Good point, LC.  Time restraints do the same.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.