The Unseen Way and Distance

Started by FantasyWriter, August 04, 2012, 06:04:03 PM

Quote from: My 2 sids on August 04, 2012, 07:18:46 AM
I wonder what the game would be like if one's ability to use the WAY was tied into their location.   Like if one is from 'nak, they can only use the Way in 'nak...   Or, if the Way could really only be used in locations X distance from the cities...  bet travel would become more interesting if one couldn't Way "this raiding party is lead by the one-eyed, swarthy man"

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 04, 2012, 11:12:56 AM
Rangers and messengers in Luir's would make lots of money, and the game would be much more interesting.
  I LOVE the idea.

Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 04, 2012, 11:31:54 AM
Or the further you are from your contact the more broken up your message will become.

Quote from: Spider on August 04, 2012, 11:57:03 AM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 04, 2012, 11:12:56 AM
Quote from: My 2 sids on August 04, 2012, 07:18:46 AM
I wonder what the game would be like if one's ability to use the WAY was tied into their location.   Like if one is from 'nak, they can only use the Way in 'nak...   Or, if the Way could really only be used in locations X distance from the cities...  bet travel would become more interesting if one couldn't Way "this raiding party is lead by the one-eyed, swarthy man"

Rangers and messengers in Luir's would make lots of money, and the game would be much more interesting.
  I LOVE the idea.

As do I. Being a courier in a world like Zalanthas would be mountains of fun.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on August 04, 2012, 11:59:42 AM

Quote from: Patuk on August 04, 2012, 01:06:01 PM
Brb, I'm apping for a Zalanthan Michael Strogoff.

Quote from: Ktavialt on August 04, 2012, 01:51:33 PM
Having the Way do a hybrid of either: (a) not work; (b) be much more taxing; and/or (c) cause broken up messages... the further you get from your target, would be neat.

However, that could also give your average joe the ability to figure out where a person is, a locate ability.

Quote from: deviant storm on August 04, 2012, 02:13:58 PM
I like the idea, on paper. But in game, new character, trying to maybe way some dude to get into Clan A and getting nothing but fails while you sit and sit in the tavern and keep trying? Sucks.

Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 04, 2012, 04:56:45 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 04, 2012, 03:07:07 PM
In my experience, that happens anyway.

Same here.

It will also encourage people to travel around the city and ask for directions and locations of clan officials. It's not the destination, but the journey.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

August 04, 2012, 06:19:43 PM #1 Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:23:43 PM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: deviant storm on August 04, 2012, 02:13:58 PM
I like the idea, on paper. But in game, new character, trying to maybe way some dude to get into Clan A and getting nothing but fails while you sit and sit in the tavern and keep trying? Sucks.

Contacting anyone in the same city/zone would/could be left unaffected.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Thanks for putting this all here FW.

:)
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

You are welcome.
Grebber - One who grebs.

August 06, 2012, 03:13:11 AM #4 Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:19:34 AM by Ktavialt
Cue Nyr posting links to other threads about this exact topic in 3... 2... 1...  (haven't checked it personally yet)

... checked, so far nothing I could find via searching 'contact distance' :P

Quote from: Ktavialt on August 06, 2012, 03:13:11 AM
Cue Nyr posting links to other threads about this exact topic in 3... 2... 1...  (haven't checked it personally yet)

... checked, so far nothing I could find via searching 'contact distance' :P

Staff priorities change, player wants change, things are looked at from different point's of view over time.
Also, if you try posting in a thread that had not been posted in for an extended period of time (120 days, I think) the GDB encourages you to start a new thread.

Nyr generally only steps in when threads start going off topic or people start wining about not getting their cookies from staff when their cookies when and like they want them. ;)
Or when people post in ATS the same questions over and over again.  As far as "Code Discussion," I doubt there is a topic posted in the last year that hasn't been brought up half a dozen times or more over the years.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Exactly as FW says.

The Way functions ICly, but for more OOC reasons (players wanted to be able to communicate with other PCs in the short amount of time everyone is actually signed in)  So, this discussion is relevant because it's asking if the OOC needs are being met.

Seeing all the changes made to the cloaked figure feature and the addition of the barricade skill, perhaps there has been a changing of player needs.  Specifically, the ability to not have instant-communication between characters under some circumstances. 

<this space for rent>

I like the idea the only problem I see with "postmen" is that 99% of the population cant read or write. How much "mail" would really be going out between cities? If literacy was available to everyone then this would be awesome.
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

No one is literally meaning letters - they're talking about relaying Way messages to people.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

August 06, 2012, 02:59:13 PM #9 Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:00:51 PM by Kastion
Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on August 06, 2012, 02:50:10 PM
No one is literally meaning letters - they're talking about relaying Way messages to people.

who in zalanthas would trust a random stranger with vital information to relay. Who would accept that information as accurate? A letter is stylized and usually has a seal or something on it to show its official. In a world like zalanthas I know I sure wouldnt trust some guys word that ive never met.

So by that you can just assume they would only use their own trusted employees. These employees would be virtual most likely and thus you can conclude that we allready do this even though you directly connect to the person when you are doing it currently.

That's sort of the point - it would make such a thing a new area for business to emerge, which would of course involve building reputation and such for being reliable and discreet. You may as well ask why people trust Nenyuk to hold their coin in a bank.

This has nothing to do with those that can send letters already, sealed or not.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on August 06, 2012, 03:05:40 PM
That's sort of the point - it would make such a thing a new area for business to emerge, which would of course involve building reputation and such for being reliable and discreet. You may as well ask why people trust Nenyuk to hold their coin in a bank.

you are ignoring virtual npcs completely. PCs wouldnt be required at all even though they could do it. Templar A would relay his info to private A and private A would relay it to private B in the field who would then tell his commanding officer. We just skip all that by doing direct connection. All it would do is make a dumb barrier that wouldnt work because no one is gonna sit around 24 hours a day in luirs relaying messages across the known. You would rely on virtual pcs that are all over the place.

Quote from: Kastion on August 06, 2012, 03:09:00 PM

you are ignoring virtual npcs completely. PCs wouldnt be required at all even though they could do it. Templar A would relay his info to private A and private A would relay it to private B in the field who would then tell his commanding officer. We just skip all that by doing direct connection. All it would do is make a dumb barrier that wouldnt work because no one is gonna sit around 24 hours a day in luirs relaying messages across the known. You would rely on virtual pcs that are all over the place.

Wow... You just want to find things to troll about, huh?

I'm forgetting nothing of the sort. PCs don't generally get to rely on VNPCs for things, so there's no reason to assume (which is what you're doing) that should our distance with the Way be limited (which is what this thread is about) they would be allowed to use VNPC couriers/messengers.

Bards.

In real life bards are the keeper of stories and messengers -- they are the "books" in illiterate societies.

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on August 06, 2012, 03:21:59 PM
Quote from: Kastion on August 06, 2012, 03:09:00 PM

Wow... You just want to find things to troll about, huh?

I'm forgetting nothing of the sort. PCs don't generally get to rely on VNPCs for things, so there's no reason to assume (which is what you're doing) that should our distance with the Way be limited (which is what this thread is about) they would be allowed to use VNPC couriers/messengers.

trolling because i have an opinion that doesnt match with yours? mkay

Its stupid to assume that we couldnt rely on vnpcs for a simple task such as forwarding a message through the way. Nenyuk as in your example are all virtual and we use them just fine, it would be the same thing. Every clan relys on VNPCs for a variety of things, theres no reason to not assume that they could carry this out as well. If for some reason they werent allowed to do it then a clan would have to be created just to forward messages because no one is gonna keep up with what random dude is still around to forward a message. They die too fast, go inactive too much, and dont play enough to ever be reliable.

Quote from: Kastion on August 06, 2012, 02:59:13 PM

who in zalanthas would trust a random stranger with vital information to relay. Who would accept that information as accurate? A letter is stylized and usually has a seal or something on it to show its official. In a world like zalanthas I know I sure wouldnt trust some guys word that ive never met.

A) hire messengers you trust

B) hire professional bards whose reputation of being able to get the job done and keep their nose clean is their livelihood.  

I mean, your argument seems to be one about trust.  But, I don't see how the trust is any different than what we have now:  have spies who give reports via the Way rather than in person.  

If houses are worried about their hunters, maybe they should have maps which clearly indicate where the house is hunting during certain times of the week/month/year

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Kastion on August 06, 2012, 03:27:49 PM
trolling because i have an opinion that doesnt match with yours? mkay

Whatever you got to tell yourself.  ::)

Shape up, guys.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Virtual npcs would handle any information relaying needs unless the immortals say they could not function in that capacity. Direct connection could be interpreted as your original message has been relayed to your target through those vnpcs. The only way it would make any difference is if staff stated that vnpcs could not be used in this capacity and that players had to handle all relaying of information.

There I hope I clarified my point and you can see how it relates to this thread.

Quote from: Kastion on August 06, 2012, 03:45:29 PM
Virtual npcs would handle any information relaying needs unless the immortals say they could not function in that capacity. Direct connection could be interpreted as your original message has been relayed to your target through those vnpcs. The only way it would make any difference is if staff stated that vnpcs could not be used in this capacity and that players had to handle all relaying of information.

There I hope I clarified my point and you can see how it relates to this thread.

The problem with this is vNPCs can't betray you or sell your messages or get drunk and forget to deliver.  The only way for that to come about would be for staff to say that it is the way it is and let you know you had a chance of your messages being manipulated/sold by the messengers or having to worry about vNPC psionosist doing whatever it is that they can do to and with your messages.  IF they did, everyone would be screaming that staff were playing favorites with who they chose to "mess with," that in addition to the extra work load it would require would lead me to believe that its just not gonna happen.

You cannot expect to received the benefits of the virtual world without being willing to take on the risks of the same system.
Grebber - One who grebs.

August 08, 2012, 03:32:55 AM #20 Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:34:45 AM by Jingo
What is the point of the Way if you can't communicate over distances?

Don't tell me the reason we have the Way is actually just to send super sekrit messages to each other. AFIC this should be changed first of all.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I like this idea for a few reasons, most of them already posted above.

This would make being a "messenger" an actual "thing" in game. Right now, this thing really doesn't exist. At least, it isn't widely used the way it would be without instant-cell-phone-world-wide-coverage the way we have it now.

The main reason I would like this to be implemented?

Literacy would suddenly become much more of a powerful tool than it currently is.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I don't really see a need to change the Way works. An adjustment in how people consider various forms of communication, however, would be nice.

Most Zalanthians would be brought up being told horror stories about powerful creatures such as mindworms, magickers and various other unknown forces...and I kind of feel that most often characters aren't played to be wary enough of these beings. Using the Way to talk super sekret stuff? You might as well hire a town crier to shout about it in the square. Discussing your super illegal spice trade upstairs in Reds? Expect someone to overhear it.

Nobles and Templars have a huge benefit from being literate. The ability to send messages to one another that have a much higher chance of not being intercepted is a great advantage. I just don't think it's one that is utilised enough. Or...quite possibly, it is just one that is utilised so well we don't know about it.

As always, more fear in the game please!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

August 08, 2012, 02:30:49 PM #23 Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:42:38 PM by kayza
Quote from: Maso on August 08, 2012, 12:32:09 PM
\
Most Zalanthians would be brought up being told horror stories about powerful creatures such as mindworms, magickers and various other unknown forces...and I kind of feel that most often characters aren't played to be wary enough of these beings. Using the Way to talk super sekret stuff? You might as well hire a town crier to shout about it in the square. Discussing your super illegal spice trade upstairs in Reds? Expect someone to overhear it.

I was wondering this myself.

How does the average Zalanthian feel about the way in general?  Is there a doc or another forum post on this.  Like what is the etiquette regarding it or whatnot.  Unless I"m blind, all the docs say about the Way is.. pretty much people can talk by it.   Is the fear that a psionic can possible read your mind something that will cause a Zalanthian to rather speak in person?

Basically any more information about the Way be great, or if someone can point me to it.  Be awesome!

Edited for terrible grammar.
:-)

To the nay-sayers: No one has said the Way would be made unavailable or unusable.
Only unable over great distances (something already taken into account in some ways.

My suggestion (skill levels curved to exclude psionocist levels):
     novice          - Limited to the same city/zone (Nak proper, Labyrith, Tuluk, Tablelands, Grasslands, etc.)
     apprentice   - Limited to the same city/zone, but nearly perfect contact within.
     journeyman - Perfect contact within your zone (similar to what the mundane maxes give now), crappy contact in adjacent zones.
                           (from Nak: Vrun Duraith, Red Storm and Salt flats with a good bit of difficulty ; Tuluk: Grasslands, Scrub, Forest)
                           (from Luirs: Gypo lands, Red Desert, Scrub, Tablelands with difficulty)
     advanced    - Adjacent Zones become Much easier to reach.  You can reach Nak and Tuluk from Luir and visa-versa with moderate effort.
     master         - A range of half the Known. Easy for Nak and Tuluk to reach Luirs and visa-versa.
                           (You MIGHT could reach one of the city states from the other, but at a great cost.)
Grebber - One who grebs.