The Unseen Way and Distance

Started by FantasyWriter, August 04, 2012, 06:04:03 PM

I like it how super-noobz will be able to find the Byn sergeant that way.

If the problem is that The Way is viewed as ultra reliable (too reliable) so that people can secretly communicate, maybe there's another solution, or deterrent.  Allowing for a chance that a way messages might be heard by nearby people seems like a better alternative as a deterrent (and could also cause a lot of interesting roleplay).  As a result people would want to seclude themselves when sending sensitive information over The Way.  It'd be much more like talking on the phone, as I imagine it was intended to be like.

To me, The Way seems like a way to simulate and facilitate interaction of the players, limiting communication through the way based on distance would limit interaction with those that need it the most (those outside the cities).  I think that's a bad thing.

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on August 08, 2012, 06:58:55 PM
If the problem is that The Way is viewed as ultra reliable (too reliable) so that people can secretly communicate,

Joke's on them. Because it's not...is it?
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on August 08, 2012, 07:34:02 PM
If the problem is that The Way is viewed as ultra reliable (too reliable) so that people can secretly communicate,

Who knows.  ;)

I like the Way, I wish you'd she written communication used more between the literate and it gives the minions something to do and protect.. and opens for interesting venues of theft and other shenanigans. But onto the topic, I wish distance played a much larger roll in how hard it was to way people. Someone in tuluk psi'ing someone in Red Storm should seriously feel the mental hurt of it, as it stands it's really not all that bad at all.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Can you not speculate about what psionics chars can do please.  Like don't even mention it at all, please.
:-)

Quote from: Maso on August 08, 2012, 07:34:02 PM

Only if the psionicist in question cares. Even then I doubt it'll stop anyone from planning your death with five others right in front of you.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

August 09, 2012, 02:27:04 AM #32 Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:29:30 AM by musashi
I would not mind at all if distance played a much larger role in how difficult it is to contact someone over the Way. I am in support of that idea all the way. I would like to see it way harder to contact someone if they're far away from you, and cost way more stun to maintain the contact, and psi each message.

I feel like not only would it make literate correspondence a more often used tool of those who are literate, but it would also make it easier for those who wish to disappear ... to disappear.

I guess I feel like if your super badass whatever goes hiding in the farest flung reaches of the known and manages to survive the dangers there, he deserves not to be (easily) found. Nothing is more annoying when playing a wanted/hunted whatever than the 20 minute intervals of someone breaking through your barrier, contacting and withdrawing from your mind, juuuuust to check  :-\
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Amen.  I'm on board.  The Way is probably more abused than any one thing.

"Oh, I better not go fucking around.  Johnny Law is reachable via the Way!"

Or any other configuration of asshat usage.

Quote from: musashi on August 09, 2012, 02:27:04 AM
I would not mind at all if distance played a much larger role in how difficult it is to contact someone over the Way. I am in support of that idea all the way. I would like to see it way harder to contact someone if they're far away from you, and cost way more stun to maintain the contact, and psi each message.

I feel like not only would it make literate correspondence a more often used tool of those who are literate, but it would also make it easier for those who wish to disappear ... to disappear.

I guess I feel like if your super badass whatever goes hiding in the farest flung reaches of the known and manages to survive the dangers there, he deserves not to be (easily) found. Nothing is more annoying when playing a wanted/hunted whatever than the 20 minute intervals of someone breaking through your barrier, contacting and withdrawing from your mind, juuuuust to check  :-\

QFT +1

I like the idea of limiting range based upon mastery of the Way.

I mean, it's not like this shit is just some easy skill you suddenly master. It's the use of your brain. To send clean, coherent messages/thoughts to another individual's brain.

I've always thought it was a bit boring/annoying/unimaginative to be able to contact someone on the other side of the Known and have a nice little conversation about the weather.

First thing that comes to mind; though, if there was a restriction on distance per mastery level is the fact that scouts and rangers would suddenly be even more useful. Riding a good distance, then attempting to Way someone at an even further distance than usual.

This would be good to help protect raiders, as well. Managing to catch and stop a player long enough to roleplay out a mugging/raiding is hard enough; but having the problem of them insta-messaging a buddy for help, along with your description, etc. tends to prove fatal for most would-be raiders. Making increased distanced between Way targets increase the use of Stamina drain per message or drain over time could potentially leave victims in very vulnerable positions if they chanced using the Way.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

.. but it would also make it easier for those who wish to disappear ... to disappear.

Wow, I didn't think about it from that point of view.  This is now my favorite code want.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Didn't we just advocate for getting contact buffed? Now we want it nerfed?  I say keep it how it is for the noobies.

It WILL be easier for noobies. Unless you started in a different location than you plan on.... trading, working, mind-sexxoring?
In my suggestion, you could have nearly perfect contact within your city after merely a few days played.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 08, 2012, 04:10:06 PM

My suggestion (skill levels curved to exclude psionocist levels):
     novice          - Limited to the same city/zone (Nak proper, Labyrith, Tuluk, Tablelands, Grasslands, etc.)
     apprentice   - Limited to the same city/zone, but nearly perfect contact within.
     journeyman - Perfect contact within your zone (similar to what the mundane maxes give now), crappy contact in adjacent zones.
                           (from Nak: Vrun Duraith, Red Storm and Salt flats with a good bit of difficulty ; Tuluk: Grasslands, Scrub, Forest)
                           (from Luirs: Gypo lands, Red Desert, Scrub, Tablelands with difficulty)
     advanced    - Adjacent Zones become Much easier to reach.  You can reach Nak and Tuluk from Luir and visa-versa with moderate effort.
     master         - A range of half the Known. Easy for Nak and Tuluk to reach Luirs and visa-versa.
                           (You MIGHT could reach one of the city states from the other, but at a great cost.)
[/quote}
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Yeah, I'm all for the newbies being able to locate the who's who of the clans they want to hook up with when they get in game, but they shouldn't need to way outside of their city for that, should they?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on August 09, 2012, 11:32:57 AM
Yeah, I'm all for the newbies being able to locate the who's who of the clans they want to hook up with when they get in game, but they shouldn't need to way outside of their city for that, should they?

Newbs can barely Way inside their city as it is. :p

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Really depends on the clan. I've had to make treks from one city to another numerous times to get the job I wanted.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 09, 2012, 11:38:13 AM

Really depends on the clan. I've had to make treks from one city to another numerous times to get the job I wanted.
+1
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on August 09, 2012, 02:06:53 PM

+1
+2

This is a good point and true.

Aww, poor newbies.  We should stop killing them

I guess I feel like if your super badass whatever goes hiding in the farest flung reaches of the known and manages to survive the dangers there, he deserves not to be (easily) found. Nothing is more annoying when playing a wanted/hunted whatever than the 20 minute intervals of someone breaking through your barrier, contacting and withdrawing from your mind, juuuuust to check  :-\

This is an AWESOME point.  I would sooooooo want contacting to be more difficult at a distance just for this very reason.

Quote from: kayza on August 09, 2012, 02:16:26 PM

+1
+2

While also a good point, I think employers who want widespread recruitment should just have contacts in various cities.  There are boards in each city.  They can lead caravans between the cities.

Overall, Musashi's point completely outweighs the other imho.

Please imms... please please pleeeeeeease....

Quote from: Ktavialt on August 09, 2012, 02:50:14 PM

I guess I feel like if your super badass whatever goes hiding in the farest flung reaches of the known and manages to survive the dangers there, he deserves not to be (easily) found. Nothing is more annoying when playing a wanted/hunted whatever than the 20 minute intervals of someone breaking through your barrier, contacting and withdrawing from your mind, juuuuust to check  :-\

This is an AWESOME point.  I would sooooooo want contacting to be more difficult at a distance just for this very reason.

Quote from: kayza on August 09, 2012, 02:16:26 PM

+1
+2

While also a good point, I think employers who want widespread recruitment should just have contacts in various cities.  There are boards in each city.  They can lead caravans between the cities.

Overall, Musashi's point completely outweighs the other imho.

Please imms... please please pleeeeeeease....

My argument will be that you can't hide and the Way makes it so.  There is no running to the corner of the world and escaping, they can find you if they want.   They still have to get to you.

Quote from: kayza on August 09, 2012, 03:06:12 PM
My argument will be that you can't hide and the Way makes it so.  There is no running to the corner of the world and escaping, they can find you if they want.   They still have to get to you.
My belief is its still better if they can't just "contact xyz" to know that someone is around, alive and kicking.

You can always use barrier if you want to hide.

Quote from: Maso on August 09, 2012, 04:22:08 PM
You can always use barrier if you want to hide.

Even at [master], my barrier is pretty lame :(
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."